Blank dvd damaged my drive?

vbimport

Hi,
I have an LG combo drive gcc-4320b 32x10x40x16x.
It’s around 2 and a half years old. It had been reading dvds fine, but yesterday, I inserted a blank Ridata DVD-R, and now it won’t recognize any tipe of dvd. It says that there is no disc in the drive. However, it still works fine with cds. I tried reinstalling nero, powerdvd, aspi, dvd decrypter, remoiving it with the device manager and updating the firmware, but nothing works.

Do you think the blank DVD-R damaged the drive?

Thanks in advance.

I think I should change the drive, now it’s reading all cds at 16x (should be 40x). I think it’s not a software problem, since i reinstalled everything, as stated in my previous post.
What do you think?
Culd it be a software or hardware problem?
Or is the blank dvd the one to blame?

Have you tried flashing its firmware?

You mean update it?
Yes, but it still behaves the same.

Stupid me, I had DMA disabled, now it reads cds at 40x, but it still doesn’t recognize dvds.

Try deleting the unit from the Windows Device Manager and have it redetected.

If it doesn’t detect DVD discs of any type at all, it could be that the DVD part of the OPU conked out.

Try deleting the unit from the Windows Device Manager and have it redetected.

Already done, nothing changed.

If it doesn’t detect DVD discs of any type at all, it could be that the DVD part of the OPU conked out.

I think you’re right.
Do you think that the Ridata blank DVD-R could have caused the damage?

Did you try powering down and unpluging from the wall socket for a few minutes?

Turns out that was the problem. I wonder what could’ve caused it. The blank DVD?

Maybe, but why ever have you inserted a BLANK DVD into this drive which is obviously useless???

I thought I could’ve used Nero Info Tool to find out the manufacturer of the disk. I’m guessing it isn’t possible.

So, does anybody know if a blank disc can damage a drive?