Blank disks types and storage questions

I have some questions that I hope I can get answered here (hope this is the right forum).

1. Is there any problem with storing DVDs in colored jewel cases for the long-term? (In other words: I have some Fujifilm Slimline colored jewel cases (red, yellow, blue, etc.) where the disk will be stored for a long time and I’m wondering if there is any kind of chemical used in coloring these cases that will come off onto my DVD disks and ruin them.) I can’t find the clear non-colored cases any more at my local stores.

2. Is there really any difference in keeping shows that were recorded on DVD-RW (rewritable) disks as opposed to keeping them on DVD-R or DVD+R disks? Is the quality of the video/audio noticeably better on DVD-R and DVD+R disks than the rewritable disks? Do the rewritable disks erode data more over time? (I’ve noticed that on the backs of these disk boxes, it says that DVD-Rs are better for long-term data storage but it doesn’t say why.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Mike

1. As far as I know storing in differently colored jewel cases has no effect on the disc inside - unless of course you store your discs in direct sunlight. :stuck_out_tongue:

2. Video/audio quality is the same between both discs (or the same as the original data copied onto the discs). DVD±RW discs are more prone to data degradation over time than DVD±R discs due to ±RWs more unstable rewriteable dye material. DVD±R discs will be your best bet if you want to keep your data/media safe and readable over a long time.

[QUOTE=evo69;2235004]1) As far as I know storing in differently colored jewel cases has no effect on the disc inside - unless of course you store your discs in direct sunlight. :stuck_out_tongue:

1. Video/audio quality is the same between both discs (or the same as the original data copied onto the discs). DVD±RW discs are more prone to data degradation over time than DVD±R discs due to ±RWs more unstable rewriteable dye material. DVD±R discs will be your best bet if you want to keep your data/media safe and readable over a long time.[/QUOTE]

Okay, good to know. So, is there any difference between DVD-R and DVD+R? (I mean what’s the + and - signs for? Image and storage the same?)

-Mike

Technical blabber aside, - and + are essentially the same. Technically, +R media are superior. Compatibility goes for -R however, since you don’t have to bitset them and are universally accepted by any player ever made (-R DL discs are a different thing altogether) - there are standalones that won’t play non-bitset +R media (some older units won’t even accept +R discs!).

I personally go for -R for DVD-Video and +R for backup data, but since I have bitsetting writers and some of these drives write better onto +R media, I sometimes find myself writing to +R more. +R media in some cases are more expensive though, and actually has a bit less total capacity as compared to -R media (just a few MBs though).

If your focus is for DVD-Video, DVD-R will provide the best compatibility and isn’t needed to be bitset (since there are some drives that can’t bitset properly). If your drives can bitset (and your focus is still DVD-Video) and you want to feel secure in the technical superiority of +R media, +R is for you. If data is your thing, -R or +R has virtually no difference.

If you’re anything like me, you’ll collect all the good media you can find, be it - or + DVDs, and use them at your whim. :stuck_out_tongue: Burn on! :bigsmile:

Thanks! I appreciate the info.

-Mike