Blank Discs Not Recognised

My computer is not recognising blank DVD+R discs. As far as I know it doesn’t recognise any blank discs and never has. Discs with stuff on them are fine and the blank discs I have tried work fine on other computers.

I read a few times about disabling ATIP hider but I’m not entirely sure if this is the actual problem and if it is I have no idea how to disable it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi and Welcome!

could you please tell us the exact model of your optical drive? Windows device manager should be good enough for that information.

Michael

I don’t know what Windows device manager is and can’t find it.

[QUOTE=Collider;2457226]I don’t know what Windows device manager is and can’t find it.[/QUOTE]:eek:
Ok. Click “Start” -> “Help & Support” to run Windows Help system. Then search for Device Manager (or what is called in your own language in case your Windows is in another language)

Other options:
“Start” -> “Run…” then enter “devmgmt.msc”, click “OK"
or
"Start” -> “Run…” then enter “msinfo32”, click “OK”. Expand “Components” and look at the “CD” entry.

Michael

HL-DT-ST CDRW/DVD GCC4244

[QUOTE=Collider;2457245]HL-DT-ST CDRW/DVD GCC4244[/QUOTE]Okay. This is a so-called Combo drive.
It can read (non-blank) DVD and CD discs, and it can write to blank CD media. Blank DVD media is not supported at all.

Michael

Thank you very much. I feel a bit of a fool now but it’s nice to know.