Blame Blu-ray for lack of PS3 game downloads

vbimport

Blame Blu-ray for lack of PS3 game downloads.

[newsimage]http://static.myce.com/images_posts/2010/02/0etAqD.jpg[/newsimage]Don't expect Sony to offer its full game catalog for download over the Playstation 3 any time soon.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/blame-blu-ray-for-lack-of-ps3-game-downloads-25655/](http://www.myce.com/news/blame-blu-ray-for-lack-of-ps3-game-downloads-25655/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Duh, 50GB per game. Unless they use some awesome Torrent like technology, a 1:1 connection to download 50GB is gonna take a while.

Nevertheless, perhaps they could obtain a BITS license from Microsoft and patiently download entire games. :slight_smile:

One has to drag his/her Playstation 3 to college, and use the university wifi in order to get 50GB of data downloaded in a reasonable time. Only recommended for those rare full days of college :slight_smile:

Since when are all PS3 games 50 GB? I think this isn’t true 'cause most PS3 games at least up till now fit on a single layer Blu-ray disc.

Sony has a hard enough time delivering PS3 firmware updates (small file sizes). It takes forever! Doesn’t surprise me that they don’t plan on supporting large size game downloads any time soon.

I’d kinda like to see it happen, so its just one more thing to start knocking on ISP bandwidth limits…

LOL… PSP Go is DEAD… really!!! who would have ever thought a download only game system would die? I am sure it got tons of support from all the the stores that deal with 2nd hand games…

Just another retarded business idea from the idiots at Sony… KEEP 'EM COMING GUYS!!! YOU’LL BE GOING UNDER SOON!!

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2491382]Duh, 50GB per game. Unless they use some awesome Torrent like technology, a 1:1 connection to download 50GB is gonna take a while.[/QUOTE]
Sooo … everyones ripping off Sony, because the PS3 games are too big to download …

Games are generally larger because the game has heaps of textures, video, audio & speech content … that’s what takes up all the space… the game engines are tiny compared to the content.

In essence, they’re ripping Sony up about having games with beautiful textures, accompanying music, and cutscenes, and complaining that they can’t download these great quality games because they’re too good.

Damned if you do, Damned if you don’t.

Wake up to yourselves people!

Personally I say Kudo’s to Sony for stepping up to the challenge of improving the status Quo of the gaming world, compared to M$ which is completely uninspirational, and using ho-hum existing technology to produce mediocre games with heavily compressed textures, low quality Audio and Cutscenes.

I don’t buy many games, but the PS3 games I have are gorgeous.

To keep the masses happy, perhaps sony should encourage production of mini-games, like apple ipod games, for the PS3. Yay! J/k :stuck_out_tongue:

Not bothered myself as I prefer to own the game on disc.

I’m with Debro, I’ll keep my gorgeous high definition PS3 games right on my Blu-ray Disc, thank you. :wink:

[QUOTE=debro;2491558]
To keep the masses happy, perhaps sony should encourage production of mini-games, like apple ipod games, for the PS3. Yay! J/k :p[/QUOTE]They already do and suprise they are called Mini’s

[QUOTE=slayerking;2491583]They already do and suprise they are called Mini’s[/QUOTE]
I stand corrected!

This entire article is FUD. :iagree:

Slow news day?

[QUOTE=debro;2491558]Sooo … everyones ripping off Sony, because the PS3 games are too big to download … [/QUOTE]
I love the PS3 (but don’t have one) and i love to have physical media all the time. I can resell physical media or make someone else happy with it, but i can’t with licensed downloaded crap. My point was that they don’t make them downloadable, because of their sheer size, which is not surprising at all.

Maybe sony should start working on a data base of textures and what not. Sure new games will have more but every time you install a new game it can be added into the data base on your PS3. Because how often do game providers reuse textures in all there games. A lot… But then again last i knew PS3 didn’t have a detachable HDD so you can get a bigger one if yours is to small…

I don’t see any way out of this other then just providing the games and making warnings all over about how slow it will be. Then its the users choice.

[QUOTE=glamdring92;2492638]Maybe sony should start working on a data base of textures and what not. Sure new games will have more but every time you install a new game it can be added into the data base on your PS3. Because how often do game providers reuse textures in all there games. A lot…
[/quote] Great Idea.

[QUOTE=glamdring92;2492638] But then again last i knew PS3 didn’t have a detachable HDD so you can get a bigger one if yours is to small…

I don’t see any way out of this other then just providing the games and making warnings all over about how slow it will be. Then its the users choice.[/QUOTE]
I replaced my cruddy 40GB PS3 HDD with a 320GB the day after I got my PS3, it’s exceptionally easy, even for a noob. You can even watch how to do it on youtube.
At any rate, if you’ve managed to fill your PS3 HDD with crud, you can move it to a (FAT32 formatted) USB HDD or USB Memory Stick attached to any of the USB ports

But, changing the PS3 HDD is easier than installing a PC HDD :wink:

Good one, Debro! We’ve never needed to connect a USB hard drive to our 80GB PS3 for anything more than a backup. We’ve even got 10GB partitioned off so we can run Yellowdog Linux. With the streaming capabilities, why would you store anything other than the OS and gamesaves on the HDD?

As for the downloadable games, who cares? On one hand, even with a massive Sony seedbox and a healthy swarm, it’s still going to take over 24 hours to download 50GB on a 7-10M cable modem. On the other hand, our PS3 spends more time running CDFreaks Folding@Home Team 13505 than anything else so we probably wouldn’t mind waiting for the convenience. On the gripping hand, maybe Sony figures that the average geekasaurus will still pre-order a game for the discount and “special” in game bonuses, emerge from basement hibernation, get Mom to drive him to Gamestop, and actually interact with at least two humans: Mom and the Gamestop salesperson.

SCEA: looking out for the psychological well being of the American Geekazoid Gamer since 1994.

[QUOTE=Icy Mt.;2492930]Good one, Debro! We’ve never needed to connect a USB hard drive to our 80GB PS3 for anything more than a backup. We’ve even got 10GB partitioned off so we can run Yellowdog Linux. With the streaming capabilities, why would you store anything other than the OS and gamesaves on the HDD?[/QUOTE]
Ocassionally I come across a 1080p BDrip that is not compatible with the PS3’s Decode capabilities, either for some unknown reason or because the video has been encoded with >4.2 profile. Due to the time it takes to dig out the original bluray and re-encoding time (I could just watch it on Bluray, but I don’t like using original Discs), and the fact my little lappy with PS3 Media Server can’t transcode 1080p in realtime for detailed scenes (it’s faster than realtime overall), I just fire it up and copy the transcoded file across to the PS3’s HDD, on unlimited quality (fastest mode) … means that some transcoded videos end up BIG. And the missus has copied our Holiday Photo’s and HD Camcorer videos to the HDD … that’s 80GB alone … so she can show people.

I have a tendency not to take the rubbish out too often, same with my PS3 … I forget to clean old files out … and 320GB HDD’s weren’t too expensive anyway - and it feels faster than the 40GB HDD that was in it before, of course, that could just be bias in a unconscious attempt to justify the nerdiness of the decision to upgrade the PS3’s HDD :wink:

I refer to an old but still true slogan:

Buy the game if you like it!!