Blacklisting of CloneCD and other apps

I’ve got a question regarding this application blacklisting.

All of the apps that have been blacklisted by SD2 or SecuROM are legitimate applications with many non-piracy uses, correct?

Just as these applications can be used against their creators wishes to pirate software, so can many other things that aren’t blacklisted.

Has anyone explored the legality of these copy protections blacklisting legitimate applications?

I would almost think that this is a lawsuit waiting to happen - not only for the violation of fair-use rights of the owners of the copy-protected software, but I’m sure that this constitutes an interference or restraint of trade with CloneCD/DaemonTools or whatever other apps are blacklisted.

I love CloneCD, and I don’t use it for software piracy - I haven’t been affected by blacklisting yet, but the moment I do, I’m going to be real pissed.

Is there any reader here who has a bit better grasp of the legal issues involved with this?

Obviously, any potential litigation is money and time-consuming, but there are plenty of GOOD lawyers out there who would gladly take up a class action lawsuit of this magnitude, and go after these people.

I understand the reason people want to copy protect their software. I just don’t agree that software should be copy protected at the expense of my usability of the software, nor should it interfere with any other software.

I’m sure that these copy protections violate law in how they work. It’d be nice to see them stopped.

Its a minefield and you would have to rob a bank just to pay the lawyers…l

Not if you could get a lawyer to take up the case on contingency.

I’m curious if anyone reading this has done the initial legwork, and has the info about this that could start being shopped around to law firms.

It’d be cool to fight back against the companies to get this stopped.

I have been wondering abou that too, if CloneCD is not illegal, I think blacklisting it is…but the EULA probably gives them the right to do that :frowning:

Even if it explicitly defined that it would blacklist due to those applications installed, I don’t think that would be legal, even if you clicked “I Accept”.

It’s like Kazaa - you can’t install it unles you agree to install all the crap and spyware. That EULA is being attacked right now as being illegal.