Black screen Chapter 1

vbimport

I’m new, and i know how irritating it is to have forums cluttered with the same stuff over and over so hopefully a mod can delete this thread after it’s done. I searched the forums and I read the ‘Hitch’ thread and it solved my problems but i have another question.

Basically, on a few movies i’ve copied i have a black screen, on chapter 1 that repeats it self after i select “play” from the DVD menu. In PowerDVD you see the little scroll bar go up, and down, and back up, etc. If i turn the DVD player on and off, then it will resume and play.

I tried cutting off chapter 1 entirely but that takes part of the movie away. Someone posted about reauthoring the file with DVDShrink, cliping everything but the last second from Chapter 1, which works, but removes the menus that i would like to keep. So basically, my question is, is there a way to reauthor jsut the movie while keeping the menu functionality? I ask this because i want the option to turn on/off languages and subtitles, i don’t want to have to burn a disc for each =/

Feel free to ask questions if you need some clarification, my post may be a bit confusing.

I’m currently using the newest version of AnyDVD, CloneDVD, and DVDShrink with Nero to do the actual burning.

Thanks for reading this, i appreciate it.

PowerDVD says it’s in “Title 2 Chapter 1” when the black screen starts. Just more info to help.

you should probably mention which movies you’re having this problem with to see if others are having the same problem with the same movies.

Cowboy Bebop the movie, and You Got Served(i was anxious to try out my burner, terrible movie)

Odd. I have no idea why you’re getting this. It sounds a lot like some of the Arccos structure protections, but there shouldn’t be any of that on Cowboy Bebop - or there wasn’t on MINE, anyway.

Try ripping with DVD Decrypter to troubleshoot. See if the problem still exists then.

I ripped the movie fine, but my gripe was that i lost menu functionality when i reauthor in DVDDecrypter. The ‘Hitch’ thread also said it was an Arccos issue, just tryin to see if there was any other solution. Thanks for the responses though.

I gave up and made a backup w/the Japanese language and another disc with the English language, and a third w/the Special Features ::sigh::

>>>>I tried cutting off chapter 1 entirely but that takes part of the movie away. Someone posted about reauthoring the file with DVDShrink, cliping everything but the last second from Chapter 1, which works, but removes the menus that i would like to keep. So basically, my question is, is there a way to reauthor jsut the movie while keeping the menu functionality? I ask this because i want the option to turn on/off languages and subtitles, i don’t want to have to burn a disc for each =/<<<<

• Rip, using DVD Decrypter, in file mode.
  • Use VOBBlanker, to re-author. This program will let you keep menus, and they will still be functioning menus. You could use this to “blank” the black video at the beginning of the film. You can also blank any other material you do not wish, at this time. It has a steeper learning curve, but it can be very powerful at re-authoring, since you can pick and choose very precisely.
    -Then, use DVDShrink to open the results from VOBBlanker, and do NOT re-author. Just use Shrink in file mode, to open, and keep it in “Full Movie” mode. Compress if need be, and then burn using your usual method.

I use VOBBlanker in combination with both DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink in order to split to two discs (which is not what I think you are seeking), and I end up with fully functioning menus.

There are guides for this program – VOBBlanker – and you WILL need them, as it looks intimidating at first. But, you can choose to “keep” or “blank” individual cells, very precisely (as well as complete VOBS).

There are also other software choices that can do this.

Finally:

>>>>I ask this because i want the option to turn on/off languages and subtitles, i don’t want to have to burn a disc for each =/<<<<

I assume you were aware of this, but just in case… you do know that your remote for your DVD player has an audio button which allows you to cycle through ALL of the audio options which exist on the disc, and that it has a button (subtitle, on most remotes), which allows you to cycle through all of the various subtitles on any disc… correct? I have yet to find a DVD remote that did not have both of these buttons. And, you can always look for the button that says “display” and navigate to the same things…

-Bruce