Black holes, electromagnetism and Hawking radiation

Does anyone know if 2 test electrical charges on opposite ends of a black hole actually feel each other? If I am not mistaken, many physicists believe the electromagnetic and gravitational forces to be independent. Which would mean that it should not have any effect. But if no information can pass by the event horizon of a black hole without getting either lost or infinitely trapped in warped time, then the 2 test charges should not feel each other. A contradiction?

Also, how can Hawking radiation exist? He theorises that it results from particle-antiparticle pairs which flit out of empty space due to quantum mechanics, being torn apart at the event horizon. This would result in the creation of a particle or antiparticle, which would otherwise have annihilated the other. The problem is that the black hole should have no bias as to whether it would be sucking in a particle or antiparticle, so the black hole would still have the same amount of ‘zero’ energy. All that would have happened is that statistically speaking, the particles and antiparticles would have swapped partners, but all of the same weight.

The problem is that the black hole should have no bias as to whether it would be sucking in a particle or antiparticle, so the black hole would still have the same amount of ‘zero’ energy.

Perhaps, but maybe a black hole made up of antimatter would only suck in anti particles and a regalar black hole would only suck in particles?

“Soon to come on CD Freaks: Astronomical Physhics and General Infinite Space Discussion”
:slight_smile:

Originally posted by kwkard
[B]

Perhaps, but maybe a black hole made up of antimatter would only suck in anti particles and a regalar black hole would only suck in particles? [/B]

I don’t think it works that way. The only important factor is mass, and both particles and antiparticles have positive mass.

If I am not mistaken, many physicists believe the electromagnetic and gravitational forces to be independent

eh? What about the UFT? I thought just about every physicist believed in that, even if they disagree on the details.

The UFT? As in Unified Field Theory?

I read about what you quoted in the context of the search for the ToE (theory of everything). One of the problems is reconciling gravity with the other fundamental forces.

infinitely trapped in warped time

time is not infinite
even if it was, it would still exit out the other side after infinite time, which sounds impossible, but then what about inevitability?

time is not infinite

What makes you say this?

Does anyone know if 2 test electrical charges on opposite ends of a black hole actually feel each other? If I am not mistaken, many physicists believe the electromagnetic and gravitational forces to be independent.
No. They actually don’t even hope them to be independant. They just haven’t found any dependency.

Which would mean that it should not have any effect. But if no information can pass by the event horizon of a black hole without getting either lost or infinitely trapped in warped time, then the 2 test charges should not feel each other. A contradiction?
Well, I’ll have to think about it before answering.

Also, how can Hawking radiation exist? He theorises that it results from particle-antiparticle pairs which flit out of empty space due to quantum mechanics
That’s possible due to the “Unschärferelation” by Heissenberg, whoever knows the english term for it might tell me :stuck_out_tongue: .

being torn apart at the event horizon. This would result in the creation of a particle or antiparticle
No, it would result in the creation of a particle and its anti-particle.

which would otherwise have annihilated the other.
Not “the other”, but “each other”

The problem is that the black hole should have no bias as to whether it would be sucking in a particle or antiparticle, so the black hole would still have the same amount of ‘zero’ energy. All that would have happened is that statistically speaking, the particles and antiparticles would have swapped partners, but all of the same weight.

You forget that the mass of antimatter is not negative. It’s not important whether the particle or the anti-particle “escapes”. The back hole has lost a bit of mass in each case.

Quantum fluctuations allow that a particle and anti-particle are created from nothing for a short time (with Δf*Δt = 1, Δf being the frequency of a quant of the same energy E as the 2 particles, according to E=mc²). If one particle can “escape”, then the black hole has lost matter.

That’s possible due to the “Unschärferelation” by Heissenberg, whoever knows the english term for it might tell me

If you’re talking about what I’m pretty sure you’re talking about, we call it: The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

Now that we’re on the subject of physics, can anyone explain the premise on which a False Vacuum can seemingly violate the laws of causuality, thus creating the universe (Following Inflation Theory)?

time is not infinite

Time is an effect of change in the universe.

Well, uhm… E=MC2.

My two cents :slight_smile:

Does anyone know if 2 test electrical charges on opposite ends of a black hole actually feel each other?

Only if they have a quantum entanglement.
I might not know what I’m talking about but someone does