Black Friday 2008

vbimport

http://bfads.net/ It looks like they opened for business August 15. I always used bfads.net but it looks like there is competition from other sites. With the U.S. economy in turmoil, it could be an interesting holiday season for merchants.

Thanks jeff53404 :slight_smile:
where I go this year :smiley:

why are most not already posting black friday ads…just a select few…

BestBuy ad is out and I looked at the quality/clarity of the scans from the major BF sites (none come close to the quality we get from Ripit).

The BB ad is completely underwhelming…I may ignore this Black Friday altogether.

It is depressing. I remember many software suites (Roxio, Nero, AV products, etc.) being heavily discounted. There seem to be few software packages listed at this time.

Take heart - Radio Shack has $10 off the Magic Jack. :Z

The plot thickens???

From the BF ads Webmaster:

Hello Black Friday Subscribers,

Today’s email comes in three doses: the good, the bad, and the ugly.

We’ll start with the ugly. We posted the 185-item Best Buy Black Friday advertisement listing (http://bfads.net/Best-Buy ) and the 12-page Best Buy Black Friday advertisement scans ( http://bfads.net/Adscans ).

There isn’t anything good to say about this advertisement, it’s really horrible. Half of the items on sale are at their regular sale price, some only a couple bucks cheaper. I’d love to lie and say that it’s the standard, awesome Best Buy Black Friday advertisement, but it isn’t. Because the advertisement is so awful, there are now multiple theories going around about why Best Buy would even think to release an advertisement like this.

The four prevailing theories are these:

1. This is the legitimate Best Buy BF ad and it is horrible (possible) 2. This is the Best Buy BF advertisement that runs in Wisconsin, where they have laws that don’t allow stores to sell loss-leader items (also possible) 3. This is a decoy and the “real” advertisement is still yet to be released (unlikely) 4. Best Buy will be relying heavily on their “Secret Sales” rather than their actual Black Friday advertisement (likely)

This is all speculation though, we’ve heard nothing from Best Buy regarding the advertisements. There are over 100 @bestbuy.com email addresses on this mailing list, we know that your corporate office is accessing our site, we’d love to hear from you.

Yeah, I was going to say that the prices on there were nothing impressive. Both Sears and Kmart beat them hands down on the Blu-Ray Player sale prices.

Circuit City is now posted at blackfriday.info

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;2157285]Yeah, I was going to say that the prices on there were nothing impressive. Both Sears and Kmart beat them hands down on the Blu-Ray Player sale prices.[/QUOTE]

Sears has a Sears Family & Friends VIP Evening on Sunday, 11/16/08 in Honolulu, Hi. The Black Friday items & prices will be available on that day. I don’t think it’s a nationwide promotion. It begins on Sunday at 6pm & ends at 6am on Monday, 11/17/08.

It’s gotta be the crappy Wisconsin one, it will go along with our outrageous gas tax :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=jeff53404;2157127]The plot thickens???

From the BF ads Webmaster:[/QUOTE]

[U][B]Wal-Mart’s Black Friday deals: High tech [/B][/U]

Link: http://money.cnn.com/2008/11/14/news/companies/walmart_blackfriday/index.htm?cnn=yes

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) – Wal-Mart is highlighting flat screen TVs, Blu-ray players, Xbox 360 consoles and home computers in its much-anticipated Black Friday deals this year, according to a copy of the retailer’s circular obtained by CNNMoney.com.

Black Friday - the day after Thanksgiving - is one of the busiest shopping days for the nation’s retailers. Black Friday is of particular interest this year because the country is experiencing a sharp slowdown in consumer spending.

Wal-Mart (WMT, Fortune 500) is not expected to officially unveil its Black Friday deals until Nov. 24. But as more Americans cut their holiday gift budgets this year, many will likely turn to discounters such as Wal-Mart in search of bargains.

According to the circular, Wal-Mart’s so-called doorbuster deals offered between 5 a.m. and 10 a.m. ET will include a 50-inch Samsung plasma HDTV ($798), Magnavox Blu-ray player ($128), Xbox 360 ($199) sold with free Guitar Hero III Legends of Rock game and wireless guitar, HP Pavilion desktop computer ($398) and a UniFlame gas grill ($175).

In addition, Wal-Mart’s Black Friday ad shows a GE microwave for $25, children’s clothing priced between $4 and $8 and a variety of toys, including a Hannah Montana doll for $10 or less.

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Melissa O’Brien declined to address the leaks from the Black Friday sales circular, saying only that “we plan to share the facts directly with customers on Monday, Nov. 24th.”

Still, the retailer in recent days has made no secret of its intention to aggressively court this year’s budget-conscious holiday shoppers.

Last week, the retailer said it would offer more discounts on thousands of products over the next seven weeks.

Judging from other leaked Black Friday ads, additional retailers are also readying huge discounts in a bid to tempt reluctant shoppers.

Sears’ leaked Black Friday circular, which appeared last month on Gottadeal.com, a Web site that markets itself as one of many “official” Black Friday deals sites, showed the retailer would offer deals on washer-dryers, a category that Sears’ hasn’t heavily promoted in the past.

One of Sears’ standout deals for Black Friday is a Kenmore high efficiency front-load washer-dryer set for $599.99. That’s as much as 50% off the price of the individual washer and dryer.

“This really is an incredible deal, and it indicates how nervous retailers are about the season,” said Britt Beemer, retail analyst and chairman of America’s Research Group.

:cool::cool:

Count me in for the Hannah Montana doll for $10 or less.

But seriously the BD player for $128 looks like a nice gift for someone but might be one of those “only 2 per store deals”

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2157492][U][B]Wal-Mart’s Black Friday deals: High tech [/B][/U]

Link: http://money.cnn.com/2008/11/14/news/companies/walmart_blackfriday/index.htm?cnn=yes

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) – Wal-Mart is highlighting flat screen TVs, Blu-ray players, Xbox 360 consoles and home computers in its much-anticipated Black Friday deals this year, according to a copy of the retailer’s circular obtained by CNNMoney.com.

Black Friday - the day after Thanksgiving - is one of the busiest shopping days for the nation’s retailers. Black Friday is of particular interest this year because the country is experiencing a sharp slowdown in consumer spending.

Wal-Mart (WMT, Fortune 500) is not expected to officially unveil its Black Friday deals until Nov. 24. But as more Americans cut their holiday gift budgets this year, many will likely turn to discounters such as Wal-Mart in search of bargains.

According to the circular, Wal-Mart’s so-called doorbuster deals offered between 5 a.m. and 10 a.m. ET will include a 50-inch Samsung plasma HDTV ($798), Magnavox Blu-ray player ($128), Xbox 360 ($199) sold with free Guitar Hero III Legends of Rock game and wireless guitar, HP Pavilion desktop computer ($398) and a UniFlame gas grill ($175).

In addition, Wal-Mart’s Black Friday ad shows a GE microwave for $25, children’s clothing priced between $4 and $8 and a variety of toys, including a Hannah Montana doll for $10 or less.

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Melissa O’Brien declined to address the leaks from the Black Friday sales circular, saying only that “we plan to share the facts directly with customers on Monday, Nov. 24th.”

Still, the retailer in recent days has made no secret of its intention to aggressively court this year’s budget-conscious holiday shoppers.

Last week, the retailer said it would offer more discounts on thousands of products over the next seven weeks.

Judging from other leaked Black Friday ads, additional retailers are also readying huge discounts in a bid to tempt reluctant shoppers.

Sears’ leaked Black Friday circular, which appeared last month on Gottadeal.com, a Web site that markets itself as one of many “official” Black Friday deals sites, showed the retailer would offer deals on washer-dryers, a category that Sears’ hasn’t heavily promoted in the past.

One of Sears’ standout deals for Black Friday is a Kenmore high efficiency front-load washer-dryer set for $599.99. That’s as much as 50% off the price of the individual washer and dryer.

“This really is an incredible deal, and it indicates how nervous retailers are about the season,” said Britt Beemer, retail analyst and chairman of America’s Research Group.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

Tempting for the Mag player. Regularly $199.99. No HDMI cable.

The following tips are from Techbargains.com:

Tip #2 caught me off-guard. I think the key words are “…almost all of the Black Friday items are available online.”. I suppose if the one you want isn’t available, you stand in line.

TIP #1: Do Plan Ahead

This is so you can allocate your budget accordingly. It also means you need to get your hands on the Black Friday Ads before they’re published. You can go to sites like blackfridayhome.com for that, but be forewarned Black Friday ads for one store alone can be 40 pages long. To save you time, we’ll be sending out an email exclusively to our newsletter subscribers previewing the best Black Friday deals. Sign up for our free newsletter if you’re not currently a subscriber. We’ll be putting this together at the last minute to maximize the accuracy so it won’t be pretty, but we promise it will be informative.

TIP #2: Don’t Wait in Early Morning Friday Store Lines

Contrary to popular belief, almost all of the Black Friday items are available online. The reason everyone thinks they need to go into stores is because that’s what the mainstream media likes to show because it’s dramatic and newsworthy. Save the drama for other parts of your life and stay in the comfort of your home.

TIP #3: Do Be Online at Midnight Eastern Time on Thanksgiving Day Nov 27

Yes we do mean Thursday and not Black Friday. Contrary to popular belief many Black Friday Sales can begin on Thursday at midnight (same as Wednesday 9pm PST). Come to Techbargains at that time and the next evening as well. We’ll be online highlighting the best deals the moment they go live.

TIP #4: Do Keep in Mind Great Deals can Last Beyond Black Friday

If you miss some of the Black Friday deals don’t be disheartened. While Black Friday gets all the attention, its younger sibling Cyber Monday may actually be the bigger overall shopping day. Now we do understand no one besides us would be online continuously from Thursday to Monday so we suggest that you add our popular RSS Feed or follow us on Twitter. On both venues, we’ll highlight the best deals to you the moment they become available.

[QUOTE=jeff53404;2162502]The following tips are from Techbargains.com:[/QUOTE]

Those tips need some extreme clarification. The deals that are called “doorbusters”, the ones that are the absolutely insane deals, are usually NOT available online. There are lots of other BF deals that you can often get online, but it’s an exaggeration to think that you can get all the exact same deals without going to the store. Not true at all. :disagree:

Yes, it’s true that there are actually mulltiple Black Friday deal days. Some places have great deals that become available as early as the day before Thanksgiving, and some have special deals on Thanksgiving day. Don’t just wait around for Black Friday, pay attention to the sale ads that are coming out at least a couple days before. Sometimes, they are better and easier to get. Also, don’t forget about Cyber Monday.

Yes, when it comes to online shopping, many of the deals go live at midnight eastern time, but not in all cases. Staples for example often makes you wait until 6am eastern time before certain deals go fully live. However, the important point to remember is that the time when deals first become available could be at any time during the very early morning, when most are asleep, so if you’re willing to stay awake, you may be able to catch certain deals before others do, and that’s important because things do sell out. By the time some folks wake up in the morning, depending on where they are, certain hot online deals may already be gone.

Looking at what the deals are this year I am just going to pass there is nothing that grabs a hold of me.

:iagree::sad:I agree with Dr. Who!

Just got the newegg newsletter for pre black friday that is a joke as well I think.

Me too, I am not impressed.