Bizarre CD playing problem

vbimport

This is a most bizarre problem. Ive ripped successfully over 1000 songs from various cds to my MS MediaPlayer 11 library.

Ive also transferred many of these to both a USB flash player as well as a Sandisk Sanza Fuze. All play perfectly. Except the one that im writing about below.

I was listening to a favorite track the other day in my MP3 player and found track #9, the last track on one of the CDs skips at about the half way point, and at several points thereafter ( I say ‘skips’, but it could also be described as static… its random noise interspersed throughout the track). I figured maybe a problem with the transfer from the library to the player… To check, I played it from my MP library on my pc… I found it skipped there too. I deleted the track and reripped. Same problem. I then tested the track itself by simply playing the track from the CD in MediaPlayer. Same problem… At that point I figured my CD was damaged, and I bought another copy of the same CD from Amazon.com… Imagine my surprise when I loaded that new one up, and the skipping was there again , in roughly the same place!

Then I figured I should try playing it on my home entertainment center cd player, and there, finally, it played perfectly. The conclusion youd be tempted to draw is that the pc CD player which is a cd/dvd rw player is defective… However, no other cds skip, and as I said, over 1000 tracks were recently loaded up and ripped to my Media Player library!

I thought perhaps this one cut had copy protection issues, but I thought that only reared its head when ripping or copying, not playing, and this problem occurs at the playing level.

At this point, Im out of ideas. Naturally, its my favorite track! If you review all the issues above, youll probably get to the point Im at, indicating a Logical Impossibility, and yet I assure you its most real.

Have any of you heard anything like this? Any ideas that havent already been tried or havent already been explained away?

thanks.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I’m not sure that is the correct answer, but a possibility is that the flash memory in your player is becoming damaged. In fact, a drawback of flash memory is that it has a limited number of read/write cycles, and if you use very intensively your flash mp3 player is possible that the flash memory failed.

Try to check your player with a benchmarking tool like HDTune (there is a free version available here). If the memory test gives an error, then you found the culprit

[QUOTE=geno888;2132837]Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I’m not sure that is the correct answer, but a possibility is that the flash memory in your player is becoming damaged. In fact, a drawback of flash memory is that it has a limited number of read/write cycles, and if you use very intensively your flash mp3 player is possible that the flash memory failed.

Try to check your player with a benchmarking tool like HDTune (there is a free version available here). If the memory test gives an error, then you found the culprit[/QUOTE]

Nope… as I said, the cd, when placed in the player on my PC, displays random noise on the last track… 1000 other tracks play perfectly. And the cd track plays fine on my home entertainment cd player. And, a replacement new cd when played on my pc’s player also exhibited the same noise on the same track… That makes me thing its something in the stamping of all the cds for this album. And yet, it plays fine on my main CD deck on my home entertainment center.

the fact that over 1000 other tracks play perfectly on my pcs’s cd player is the factor that must be taken into account, and is what makes this such a tough debugging problem.

oops sorry :flower:

Home entertainment CD players have the ability to mute, hold or average (interpolate) when they find a read error. This allows error playback that possibly can not be heard by human ears. I think PC drives rip in digital mode and they might not have this ability. Maybe you should scan the disc for errors.

RM

[QUOTE=RichMan;2133018]Home entertainment CD players have the ability to mute, hold or average (interpolate) when they find a read error. This allows error playback that possibly can not be heard by human ears. I think PC drives rip in digital mode and they might not have this ability. Maybe you should scan the disc for errors.

RM[/QUOTE]

Sounds interesting. Ive set my Media Player tools/options/devices/DVD-RAM(D:) with the options ‘use error correct’ for both playback and rip, and even though the track’s skipping, crackling, and popping, nothing alerts to any error!

What should I use to scan the disk for errors that might catch that which the error correction software within Media Player is missing?