Bittorrent Sync 2.3 released, adds Encrypted Folders and running as a service

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Bittorrent Sync 2.3 released, adds Encrypted Folders and running as a service[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/01/blog_23_release-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Bittorrent Inc. just announced a new version of their peer-to-peer file synchronisation application Sync. Today’s release brings the version number to 2.3 and introduces Encrypted Folders, running Sync as a service in Windows and more.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/78421-78421/](http://www.myce.com/news/78421-78421/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

It is only too natural that it goes from application to service to have it sync even when logged on. The same goes for adding a level of security by offering the possibility of encrypted folders.

Tested about a year ago and found it to work great.
However, I love the control of having my own ‘no-one-elses-drive’ and do not want the convenience (or terror) of syncing between devices.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2767004]It is only too natural that it goes from application to service to have it sync even when logged on. The same goes for adding a level of security by offering the possibility of encrypted folders.[/QUOTE]
The new Service feature allows Windows syncing even when NOT logged on. This feature has been anticipated by BTSync users for years now.

Tested about a year ago and found it to work great.
However, I love the control of having my own ‘no-one-elses-drive’ and do not want the convenience (or terror) of syncing between devices.

Don’t understand your comment. The joy of BitSync is being able to instantly share among your own devices only, without having to use a 3rd party cloud service like DropBox.

I like to carry backups of certain PC files on my smartphone, and for this Sync works sensationally well. The newest version of the software lets me edit files on my smartphone too, and though I’m not sure I want to do that, it is remarkable the number of options one has for managing files across multiple devices (and Users too, a feature I do not presently use). Downside is that it is nontrivial to set up and use; a geek program for sure.

[QUOTE=DukeOfUrl;2767138]The new Service feature allows Windows syncing even when NOT logged on. This feature has been anticipated by BTSync users for years now.
[/QUOTE]
Whoopst, I meant logged OFF of course (it is the very reason for a turning such a program into a service) :wink:

[QUOTE=DukeOfUrl;2767138]Don’t understand your comment. The joy of BitSync is being able to instantly share among your own devices only, without having to use a 3rd party cloud service like DropBox.

I like to carry backups of certain PC files on my smartphone, and for this Sync works sensationally well. The newest version of the software lets me edit files on my smartphone too, and though I’m not sure I want to do that, it is remarkable the number of options one has for managing files across multiple devices (and Users too, a feature I do not presently use). Downside is that it is nontrivial to set up and use; a geek program for sure.[/QUOTE]

I choose not to sync as in some cases one slip and boom, it propagates to the other devices.
Here, changed files from my devices are backed up to different folders on my RAID in time windows from 3-4:00 AM. These files are in turn backed up to a NAS at 2:00 AM the following night. This gives me 48 hours to catch a miss and rectify it if need be. all sync is done by manual up/download via my ‘no-one-else’s-drive’.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2767139]I choose not to sync as in some cases one slip and boom, it propagates to the other devices.
Here, changed files from my devices are backed up to different folders on my RAID in time windows from 3-4:00 AM. These files are in turn backed up to a NAS at 2:00 AM the following night. This gives me 48 hours to catch a miss and rectify it if need be. all sync is done by manual up/download via my ‘no-one-else’s-drive’.[/QUOTE]
I hear ya–the “it instantly propagates mistakes” thing is why I’m wary of DropBox also. As I said I use it to send files to my smartphone, and I do so Read-Only at the phone.

Multiple backups are wise. I have a USB flash drive that’s written-to each morning before I start the day, and then my NAS has all of daily (seven days) and monthly backups so I have twenty to choose from if I make a “slip” as you say. The easiest fix being if I make a mistake and immediately recognize it, I can goto my USB (or NAS, though that turns-off after morning backups) and get a recent copy back.

Sync is a specialized tool for sure, and useful for us paranoids who don’t trust DropBox, or don’t want to rely on an Internet connection for syncing.

Sure, I do have Weekly and Monthly system backups too, as well do back up my registry every night at 5:00 AM. My user folders are on another disk and that data is backed up as mentioned above. It is a question of staying safe and minimize impact, and sync does not fit my philosophy on the subject - It is thus far only a convenience omitting the security aspect as far as I see it.

I have helped a few who have used sync, like one using iCloud only to delete his contacts by mistake… Fun listening to their frantic voice when they call, I can tell you that - in most cases I have been able to help them though :slight_smile:

[B]One piece of information forgotten above and one clarification.[/B]

If I were to use sync, this would be my choice of the day. I just thought I should mention it, even though I am hinting it in my first post.

I also notice I come forward a little negative which is only about security :stuck_out_tongue: As long as you have a good backup solution, there is nothing wrong with the convenience of syncing.

I only come by people failing the backup-part far too often and so the story goes… :flower:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2767183]I only come by people failing the backup-part far too often and so the story goes… :flower:[/QUOTE]
:iagree:

I have struggled with backup for many years, and today have backups for the backups of my backups and it sometimes makes me crazy, because just the other day I had an old hard drive crash on me, and I’ve had to scramble to find backups for it, to recover from! But I have 'em (I think, have yet to restore).

Back on topic, BT Sync is primarily aimed at workgroup collaborations i.e. file sharing, and while it can be USED to create “continuous backups” of files in another on-site computer, it will propagate mistakes as Xercus points out and must be used with caution.