Bitsetting Utility Error for 3500

I can’t seem to get the bitsetting utility to work at all when I try to run it.
I get the following error message: “Target drive is not found correctly”.

I get that error message no matter what firmware I’ve tried to use and no matter how I flashed the firmware.

In summary, I’ve done the following using version .95 of binflash:

method 1

• flashed the drive with 3500_217bs.exe, flashed successfully, rebooted
  • got that error message when I ran the WinBType.exe that came with the 3500_217bs.exe file
  • confirmed drive was 2.17 in Nero and DVDInfoPro
  • flashed back to 2.16 using NECWinFlash.exe (version .95), rebooted

method 2

• from a command prompt (not pure DOS) used NECFlash.exe (version .95) and flashed 3500_217.bin, flashed successfully, rebooted
  • got that error message when I ran the WinBType.exe that came with the 3500_217bs.exe file

method 3

• used NECWinFlash.exe (version .95) to flash 3500_217.bin, flashed successfully, rebooted

I gave up on Herrie’s 2.17 at this point

method 4

• used 35A227P.EXE to flash to firmware 2.27, flashed successfully, rebooted
  • confirmed drive was 2.27 in Nero and DVDInfoPro

method 5

• used NECWinFlash.exe (version .95) to flash 2.27_plus.bin, flashed successfully, rebooted
  • confirmed drive was 2.27 in Nero and DVDInfoPro

Currently, I’m still on version 2.27.

I have a couple of questions:

1. why can’t I get the bitsetting utillity to run?

2. When I use the NECWinFlash program, I see 2 NEC drives listed, first one is the D: drive, the second one is 0.0.0, if I’m using the NECWinFlash to flash a bin to the drive, which of the 2 drives should I pick? By default, I’ve always used the drive with the letter D:

3. When I check the NECWinFlash program’s bookmark, I see the following:

Given the current settings on there, does it mean my drive is set to change DVD +R for both SL and DL to DVD-Roms?

4. If the answer to #3 is yes, what should I set in NERO as the BookType Setting?
    Automatic?
    DVD-ROM?
    Physical Disc Type?
    Current Recorder Setting?

Please help. Thanks

Oh, forgot to ask about bitsetting in the NEC. Assuming that the ‘Permanent Booktype Settings’ is set, if/when I burn a DVD in NERO, do I have to have the NECWinFlash utility running in the background for the bitsetting to work?

I only ask because I had a Lite-on 411 before, and to get the Lite-on bitsetting to work, I had to have the Lite-on’s bitsetting utility open and running when I was burning the DVD.

Thanks.

The o.o.o.o ID is the ASPI driver ID
The D is the SPTI driver ID
To use the SPTI ID you must have Admin privileges.
In any case as your screen shot shows you have bitsetting correct for both +R SL and DL
You don’t need to run the NECFlash util in the background, those bitsetting changes are stored and will remain set that way until you change them or you upgrade to a firmware that does NOT support SL bitsetting.
You also have NERO booktype setting correct :wink:

Thanks for the info. Any idea why the bitsetting utility doesn’t work?

You could try to flash to the Mad Dog firmware and then use the Mad Dog bitsetting utility.
Mad Dog bitsetting util is here: http://mdmm.com/support/drivers.asp

WinBType.exe is what i think he’s talking about now.