Bitsetting under Linux?

vbimport

Is there any way to set the book type under Linux?
I’ve tried all the various windows based utils under wine,
but unfortunately none of them seem to do the trick…

I’m aware of dvd+rw-booktype, but this only works for
ricoh, benq, and btc drives :confused:

I am not familiar with Wine emulation. What do you mean when you say it doesn’t work? Did it crash? Was it unable to communicate with the drive? Did it communicate with the drive, but the burn still turned out as +R after the burn?

There currently does not exist a Linux-based utility that can do LiteOn bitsetting.

Check your PM.

Originally posted by code65536
[B]I am not familiar with Wine emulation. What do you mean when you say it doesn’t work? Did it crash? Was it unable to communicate with the drive? Did it communicate with the drive, but the burn still turned out as +R after the burn?

There currently does not exist a Linux-based utility that can do LiteOn bitsetting.

Check your PM. [/B]

LiteOn’s BookType.exe crashes with “The procedure entry point GetScrollBarInfo could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.DLL”

nicw’s auto bitsetting tool gives no errors, but when I query the drive it still says it’s set to DVD+R

I don’t know much about wine either, as I don’t generally have a use for it…

Could be that Nic’s tool didn’t find the drive because I have no idea how interaction with peripherals like this work under Wine…

In regards to the LiteOn booktype util… do you have another emulator other than Wine? Or perhaps a newer version of Wine?

What drive/FW revision?

I think it may be possible to run under a virtual machine in VMware,
but I really don’t want to have to install or run Windows to run a single app :confused:

Might give it a shot though, if I can’t find a better way…
I figure I’ll really only have to run it once since I generally only reboot
when hardware is added (one of my linux boxes has 1028 days uptime) :slight_smile:

I’ve tried CodeWeavers wine, the latest winehq release of wine, and even
Transgamings winex, I just dont think any of them support that particular function
in user32.dll, I should check cvs…

Drive is 811s / HS0K

…or you could try this option…
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93611

This will make your drive default to -ROM so that you won’t ever need to run the booktype utility (unless you want to change it from -ROM to Normal for something)

The downside is that the patcher is for Windows, and the tools for flashing firmware are also for Windows. I assume that you have a Windows install on your computer that you can use to patch your firmware and to load in the patched version? (if not, someone could patch it for you, and you can flash your firmware by using a DOS bootdisk and flashing with mtkflash).

oooh, can’t believe i missed that one… i seem to remember reading it wasn’t possible in firmware…

thanks for pointing that out, i will definately give it a shot! :slight_smile:

Originally posted by dblank
[B]oooh, can’t believe i missed that one… i seem to remember reading it wasn’t possible in firmware…

thanks for pointing that out, i will definately give it a shot! :slight_smile: [/B]

No, you didn’t miss it. :slight_smile: It didn’t get posted until well after you had asked your question. (This was the possible alternative solution that I was alluding to in my PM to you earlier. ;))

oh no wonder i missed it… its new huh? :slight_smile:

just waking up, didn’t see the date at first

Originally posted by code65536
No, you didn’t miss it. :slight_smile: It didn’t get posted until well after you had asked your question. (This was the possible alternative solution that I was alluding to in my PM to you earlier. ;))

sweet… thanks again, very much appreciated