Bitsetting in firmware

Hi everybody

I’m trying hard to convince Marco/BTC that they should modify the firmware for DRW1004IM to support bitsetting. Apart from the fact that I firmly believe this would be a strong sellingpoint for BTC I personally need this feature badly. My DVD players do not like DVD+R media - unless the booktype/bitsetting is changed to DVD-ROM. So basically this feature will improve compatibility on older DVD players, that reads DVD-RW DVD-R and maybe DVD+RW but not DVD+R. If your player can’t read DVD+R media changing booktype to DVD-ROM will fix this.

So lets all vote, OK?

BTW: Before the BTC forum was created I posted a similar poll at http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78802 You might want to check that one out. Oh, and if you voted there please vote here as well. For some reason this poll was not moved to the BTC forum

Result (so far)
yes: 75%
no: 25%

if the bitsetting could enabled, it would be the best, since it would have the edge against other drives.

Originally posted by shane5578
if the bitsetting could enabled, it would be the best, since it would have the edge against other drives.

I agree - the LiteOn 411S dual does NOT support bitsetting (yet?)

Hi Guys,

We’re studying this issue and thinking about implementing it in a future firmware.

In the meantime, I’d appreciate if you can give us some more information about how useful this feature is, which home DVD players definitely need it to play movies normally, and any other useful resources on the web about this feature.

Thanks in advance !

Marco
BTC Europe Support

Hi,
could I have more information about bitsetting? I looked on google but did not find much explanations.
Thas that mean that you can change any media (DVD+/- R/RW) in DVD ROM ? and get a maximum compatibility with all drives?
Just having DVD ROM format isthe solution? or is there any backdraw?

bye !

Dedtengu,

There is a media type descriptor bitsetting on each disc type (DVD-R, +R, -RW, +RW, -RAM, -ROM) that enables a player to identify the type of disc it is trying to read.

Some players check this bitsetting first, and if it’s not -ROM or +R(W), or other players -R(W) or -ROM, they refuse to play.

Because -ROM is playable on all players, the bitsetting fools the player into thinking that the disc it’s playing is a -ROM when actually it could be +R, etc.

Marco
BTC Europe Support

Originally posted by Marco BTC
[B]Hi Guys,

We’re studying this issue and thinking about implementing it in a future firmware.

In the meantime, I’d appreciate if you can give us some more information about how useful this feature is, which home DVD players definitely need it to play movies normally, and any other useful resources on the web about this feature.

Thanks in advance !

Marco
BTC Europe Support [/B]

Hi Marco
I suggest you take a look in the DVD Player database at http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers
The database includes user reports of more than 1.000 different DVD players.

The usefullness of this feature should be quite obvious. It will allow DVD+R media to be played back in “older” DVD players by fooling the player into thinking that the media is a pressed DVD-VIDEO (DVD-ROM).

Most new DVD players will of course recognize the DVD+R media since the +R format itself is no longer new. As you might recall DVD+RW was introduced before DVD+R so most players will have no problems reading DVD+RW media - unless the player is really old of course. However all players will playback DVD+R and DVD+RW media if the booktype/bitsetting is set to DVD-ROM. Most 2. generation DVD+ writers (which were able to write both DVD+RW and DVD+R) were produced by Ricoh. Since Ricoh knew that DVD+R would cause compatibility problems with thousands of DVD players all over the world they implemented a feature in their firmware that would allow you to change the bitsetting for DVD+R and DVD+RW to DVD-ROM. HP (which were selling OEM Ricoh drives) chosed another approach by releasing a firmware where the booktype for DVD+R was hardcoded to DVD-ROM. NEC did the same with their ND-1100 writer.

So this whole bitsetting issue is only wanted for compatibility reasons - and should be implemented in all DVD+ burners.

There is however an obvious/peculiar sideeffect of changing bitsetting to DVD-ROM. Just take a look at the specs of the 1004IM drive:

Read performance:
DVD+/-R, DVD+/-RW) max. 6x
DVD-ROM max. 12x

Can you spot it? Yes, a burned DVD+ media with the bitsetting set to DVD-ROM will also fool the burner (or at least a DVD-ROM drive) into believing that the media should be read back at max 12X instead of max 6X. If the media is of high quality this is not a problem. On the contrary if the media is of very low quality (PRINCO anyone?) this might not be usefull at all.

Cheers,
Peter

hello,
thanks for this clear and quick reply !
So that would solve a lot of problems if we could change the type of DVD. I make films for people, and I have to lend them different DVD each time for them to test on their home players… And it means that they might not work on others. Up to now, on a few players (about 6) I’ve seen a lot a differences.
I hope your lab will find a solution !
bye

Since I experience readability problems with DVDs burned with the BTC 1004, I tried to look at the booktype with DVD INFO Pro. The strange thing is that the same disc reports DVD +R as booktype when it’s in the BTC and DVD-ROM when it’s in my relatively old AOpen 12x DVD rom. The disc was burned with a NEC (BTC burned discs are not readable in my DVD rom yet).

Our little poll might have helped convincing BTC that bitsetting in firmware is “the way to go”. Marco informed me, that there is a 99.9% chance that the feature will be implemented in firmware 0048!

Have a nice day,
Peter

DVDhoek,

What DVD-ROM are you using that is not able to read BTC burnt DVDs ?

Marco
BTC Europe Support

Originally posted by Marco BTC
[B]DVDhoek,

What DVD-ROM are you using that is not able to read BTC burnt DVDs ?

Marco
BTC Europe Support [/B]

AOPEN 1240 F/W R05
As said, quite old, but it is capable of reading NEC 1100 DVD +R.

I would like to add my vote for adding bitsetting. I will be burning CDs for many people and would certainly want any feature that increases disk compatibility.

Peter: Thanks for your excellent overview on bitsetting.

I am voting a big yes, according to dvdrhelp, my akai does not play dvd+r, this would help a lot, I have some dvd+r discs now but I won’t burn them yet because of this, thanks pdu for advocating this

Doesn’t the type of media determine the laser intensity?

please marco,

implement bitsetting !!!

An Apex 1100W and a Cyberhome 300 set top DVD player need bitsetting to play DVD-Video discs, especially on the DVD+R media.

New BTC firmware to support bitset would be great, and I agree it’d probably give BTC the leading edge of all other companies in terms of strong selling point, at least to the techies, which are probably still the majority of DVD burner buyers.

I have to use DVD-R if I want the players to read the discs. Not helpful when I have a stack of good DVD+R media I can be using.

BTC, let’s see some bitset firmware!

yes i need the bitsetting too! my samsung dvd205 plays dvd+r and dvd+rw only when they are “burned” as dvd-rom! and sometimes it plays also a dvd-r/rw but i have to try about 10-20 times before it recognise the dvd-r/rw disc! if it is possible i would also try to burn a dvd-r/rw as dvd-rom to see if that helps to play the disc on the samsung dvd-player.

I vote for bit-setting

I also vote for the HD density feature that other manufacturers are advertising that their products do /or will be capable of doing soon.

http://www.digital-sanyo.com/BURN-Proof/HD-BURN/index.html

http://www.digital-sanyo.com/BURN-Proof/HD-BURN/hd-center.html

SANYO Electric Co., Ltd. has developed a high-density writing technology, “HD-BURN”, which has allowed conventional CD-R media (700MB) to doubles the writing capacity (1.4GB). “HD-BURN” will be subsequently adopted into our Super Combination Drives. In addition, SANYO has formulated the standard of the writing format and started the product licensing

1. Double capacity
    The high-density writing technology, “HD-BURN” allows a conventional CD-R media to write twice as much as its own capacity. This drive is ideal for large volume data storage such as video data.
  2. High speed writing and reading
    “HD-BURN” mode allows 36X (CD-ROM) writing speed and 80X (CD-ROM) reading speed at the maximum by using CLV (Constant Linear Velocity) format.
  3. BURN-Proof prevents writing errors caused by Buffer Under Run errors
  4. Support for CD-RW media
    CD-RW media support by HD-BURN will be realized by modified firmware in the future. CD-RW media support by HD-BURN enables 24X data writing speed at the maximum for commercial CD-RW media.
  5. Applications software
    Available applications software for writing are B’s GOLD by B.H.A and Nero by AHEAD. Users can easily use HD-BURN writing technology since these applications have DVD video writing feature and Video authoring feature

Offcourse a vote for yes.

Could this also be a solution for standalone DVD player that don’t read any R or R/W media?

For example my Samsung 909 standalone DVD player will nor read any CDR or DVD media even if www.dvdrhelp.com reports it will read DVD-R of DVD-RW.