Bitsetting iHAS324 Y

vbimport

Hi Folks,

Can anyone help .?

I have a Lite-On iHAS324 Y SATA with firmware BL1Y and not able to change the bitsetting.

I have tried 3 different firmwares on liggy’s page for this drive and although Binflash gui 1.52 says the bitsetting has changed to DVD-ROM for DVD+R and DVD+RW and then i burn a disk and view the contents after it still say’s DVD+RW and not DVD-ROM so the disk can’t be read.

I have tried this with DVD Decrypter, ImgBurn, Alcohol 120% and all produce the same result they all say DVD-ROM before the burn but after the burn they all say DVD+RW and the disk won’t read.

I also have a Pioneer DVR-108BK this drive has firmware applied and DVD-ROM bitsetting is already enable within it and works without changing the bitsetting in any utility.

Can the iHAS 324 bitsetting be changed or not ?

Thanks in advance

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Did you try to use ImgBurn to set booktype? If I’m not wrong, all Liteon drives allow to change booktype with stock firmware

[QUOTE=geno888;2557185]If I’m not wrong, all Liteon drives allow to change booktype with stock firmware[/QUOTE]
The Y series are Optiarc rebadges that can only booktype DVD+R DL with stock firmware. booktype of DVD+R and DVD+RW (only unused discs) can only be changed with modified firmwares.

[QUOTE=tattubato;2557160]
I also have a Pioneer DVR-108BK this drive has firmware applied and DVD-ROM bitsetting is already enable within it and works without changing the bitsetting in any utility.
[/QUOTE]

Comparing Liteon with Pioneer in case of Bitsetting is not helpful.

The Pioneer AUTO bitset the DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM, you cannot ever change that!!

[QUOTE=Liggy;2557281]The Y series are Optiarc rebadges that can only booktype DVD+R DL with stock firmware. booktype of DVD+R and DVD+RW (only unused discs) can only be changed with modified firmwares.[/QUOTE]

oops :o

[QUOTE=chef;2557353]The Pioneer AUTO bitset the DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM, you cannot ever change that!![/QUOTE]
Like you can patch Pioneer firmwares to bitset DVD+R to DVD-ROM, you can also add a patch to bitset DVD+RW to DVD-ROM and even to NOT bitset DVD+R DL - but I don’t know a single reason why one should do that.

Getting back at the thread starter:
Changing the booktype of DVD+RW on the iHAS324 Y with modified firmwares usually only works on unused discs.

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies.

Yes i have tried to set book type to DVD-ROM with the firmware that the drive came with only a few weeks ago it was BL1W i bought it under the understanding i could change the book type and although the utilities say the book type is now active for DVD-ROM and the burn takes place e.g Imgburn/DVD Decrypter and set it within ImgBurn and the burn starts with log open it says book-type n/a and ignores my setting and writes the disk but after the disk has finished and i view the disk contents properties it still says DVD+RW and when i try to play it, it fails to read this is why i tried the 3 firmware’s i saw on liggys page all produce the same result.

Although i have set the book type to DVD-ROM before the burn and the utility says that DVD-ROM is set the drive is not actually accepting that and just burning what IT wants to burn it at.

1. Is the drive locked from accepting this change how can i unlock it.

2. Can i dump firmware and see inside what it says and set it inside ? and then re-flash so its now internal.

I have tried this with unused new DVD+R DL (verb’s) before burn book type is set to DVD-ROM after burn it says DVD+R DL.(won’t read)

I have tried this with erased DVD+RW before burn book type is set to DVD-ROM after burn it says DVD+RW not ROM.

In the Pioneer 108BK even though i used an erased DVD+RW and set book type to DVD-ROM it does actually produce the DVD-ROM book type after the burn with the exact same disk that did not work in the iHAS324 Y so i know media is fine.

Lite-On own utility won’t work because it’s a rebadge as mentioned before so in Binflash i used tab for NEC this is the only one that see’s it all other options are greyed out not selectable same as Imgburn/DVD Decrypter and just churning out coasters having the ability to set DVD-ROM is critical.

If the utility says DVD-ROM is set how can i see inside the firmware if this is actually set to deliver that ?.

Thanks

Hi,

Have any of you guys tried this on this model of drive and after the burn the disk type does actually say DVD-ROM

If so please tell me what firmware and utility you used to deliver this.

Thanks again

Hi,

If this drive can’t deliver DVD-ROM what writers do you know actually do deliver DVD-ROM book type.

Thanks

How do you check booktype of burned discs? Some tools doesn’t show the booktype but the real media type even if booktype was changed

Hi,

I can confirm this when burned in the iHAS324 Y

1. dvdplusrwbitset.exe command line utility. (still shows DVD+RW)
  2. DVD Decrypter in the display output. (still shows DVD+RW)
  3. ImgBurn in the display output. (still shows DVD+RW)
  4. DVD Identifier (still shows DVD+RW)
  5. In the player when it fails to read / work.

Burned in the Pioneer 108BK with same disk/settings in dvd decrypter/imgburn/ Alcohol 120%

1. dvdplusrwbitset.exe command line utility. (shows DVD-ROM)
  2. DVD Decrypter in the display output. (shows DVD-ROM)
  3. ImgBurn in the display output. (shows DVD-ROM)
  4. DVD Identifier (shows DVD-ROM)
  5. In the player it WORKS.

As you can see i’m not having much luck

I think the drive is not accepting the command

Hi,

Here you can see output that Book type is being ignored.

I 21:42:02 ImgBurn Version 2.5.2.0 started!
I 21:42:02 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (6.1, Build 7600)
I 21:42:02 Total Physical Memory: 3,144,952 KB - Available: 1,726,532 KB
W 21:42:02 Duplex Secure’s SPTD driver can have a detrimental effect on drive performance.
I 21:42:02 Initialising ElbyCDIO…
I 21:42:02 ELBYCDIO.DLL - Elaborate Bytes CDRTools - ElbyCDIO DLL - Version 6.0.8.7
I 21:42:02 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices…
I 21:42:03 -> Drive 1 - Info: PIODATA DVD-RW DVR-108DX 1.18 (H:) (ATA)
I 21:42:03 -> Drive 2 - Info: ATAPI iHAS324 Y BL1Y (G:) (ATA)
I 21:42:03 Found 1 DVD±RW and 1 DVD±RW/RAM!
I 21:45:10 Operation Started!
I 21:45:10 Source File Sectors: 2,139,575 (MODE1/2048)
I 21:45:10 Source File Size: 4,381,849,600 bytes
I 21:45:10 Source File Volume Identifier: 86271-V574B9
I 21:45:10 Source File Volume Set Identifier: 3b150989
I 21:45:10 Source File Implementation Identifier: ROM Formatter 3.1
I 21:45:10 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, Joliet, UDF (1.02)
I 21:45:11 Destination Device: [2:1:0] ATAPI iHAS324 Y BL1Y (G:) (ATA)
I 21:45:11 Destination Media Type: DVD+RW (Disc ID: RICOHJPN-W01-01) (Speeds: 2.4x)
I 21:45:11 Destination Media Sectors: 2,295,104
I 21:45:11 Write Mode: DVD
I 21:45:11 Write Type: DAO
I 21:45:11 Write Speed: 2x
I 21:45:11 Link Size: Auto
I 21:45:11 Lock Volume: Yes
I 21:45:11 Test Mode: No
I 21:45:11 OPC: No
I 21:45:11 BURN-Proof: Enabled
W 21:45:45 Write Speed Miscompare! - Wanted: 2,770 KB/s (2x), Got: 3,324 KB/s (2.4x)
I 21:45:45 [B]Book Type Setting: N/A[/B]
I 21:45:45 Advanced Settings - Force HT: N/A, Online HT: N/A, OverSpeed: N/A, SmartBurn: Yes
I 21:45:48 Filling Buffer… (40 MB)
I 21:45:50 Writing LeadIn…
I 21:45:50 Writing Session 1 of 1… (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 2139574)
I 21:45:50 Writing Track 1 of 1… (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 2139574)

I have set it when right click drive and change book type and also in advanced where the drive ID is added but under NEC and book type is still being ignored.

There is also another thread i found, same issue, scroll 2 3rds down from “chancooluk”

Thanks

From the log I cannot see that you’re actually running a firmware with bitsetting modification, however I assume that Binflash shows the booktype has been set to DVD-ROM and the boxes are not greyed out.

As I already wrote, setting the booktype on DVD+RW like in your log only works properly, when the disc has not been written to before.

In case the BL1Y bitsetting patch is really broken, you could still try the BL1W firmware from here. It should be rather unlikely that I made the same mistake in 2 different firmware patches.

I 21:45:45 Book Type Setting: N/A

That generally means there was a problem setting the book type.

You shouldn’t have to touch a single setting in ImgBurn to have it book type your discs to DVD-ROM. The ATAPI iHAS324 Y model is supported ‘out of the box’ in v2.5.2.0 and the auto change book type option is enabled by default.

Go into the book type settings within ImgBurn and switch to the NEC tab.
Are you able to change the ‘Drive (For DVD+RW Media - Temporary)’ setting to ‘DVD-ROM’ ?
How about the ‘Active Setting (For DVD+RW Media)’ one? Can you change that between ‘Permanent’ and ‘Temporary’ ?

Note: You won’t be able to change the ‘Active Setting’ one to ‘Temporary’ without first setting the ‘Drive (For DVD+RW Media - Temporary)’ one. If you try, you should just get an ‘Invalid Field in CDB’ error.

I just crossflashed a 7240 1.04 to the iHAS324 Y BL1Y (BT-LIGGY) firmware and can confirm that the drive doesn’t book type DVD+RW media as part of a normal ‘Write’ operation. It doesn’t even do it when you do a proper full format (which I’d half expected it to). So just as Liggy said (and why would you doubt him?!), the disc really must be blank / empty / unformatted for the DVD+RW book type setting to be applied to the disc.

Of course that doesn’t solve your problem where ImgBurn says ‘Book Type Setting: N/A’.

Mine does say ‘Book Type Setting: DVD-ROM’ in the log like it’s supposed to, even if it doesn’t actually work for non blank / non empty / formatted DVD+RW discs.

You can double check you’re using the ‘BT-LIGGY’ firmware by right clicking the drive selection box and selecting ‘Capabilities’. It’ll say ‘BT-LIGGY’ to the right of the ‘Vendor Specific Info’ label.

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2557696]So just as Liggy said (and why would you doubt him?!)[/QUOTE]
Everyone’s allowed to doubt what I say. Sometimes I’m really wrong. However experience from others has shown, that booktype changes on used DVD+RW usually fails. If it works on DVD+R and DVD+R DL the booktype code in general should be OK.

However it might be worth taking a further look at the firmware and see if a certain routine is still there and can be activated. Some old ND-2500A drives had a command (Ricoh commandset) to change the booktype of an inserted DVD+RW without actually erasing the disc content. Unfortunately these drives had H8 CPU while current drives use V850 CPUs and the corresponding code will be completely different and not easy to locate if it’s still there at all.

Hi Liggy,

Thanks for your response i can confirm in the first line that book type DVD-ROM has been set and the option is not greyed out.

Can i upload pictures as proof ?

I can also confirm this happens with +R re-writables quick or full format and it happens with brand new unused Verbatim +R DL 8.5GB write once disks i got got fed up of throwing away verb +R DL’s so that is why is had a go with +R re-writables and in the 108BK it worked but in the iHAS324Y no chance both fail as i mentiond earlier in the post.

With response from the author of DVD Decrypter and ImgBurn i have tried tick box on and off for auto book type it did not make any difference.

Are you able to change the ‘Drive (For DVD+RW Media - Temporary)’ setting to ‘DVD-ROM’ ? [B]“Yes i can”[/B]
How about the ‘Active Setting (For DVD+RW Media)’ one? Can you change that between ‘Permanent’ and ‘Temporary’ [B]“Yes i can”[/B]

Under this section i can select all of them and choose DVD-ROM for all of them and it says “success!” but they do not read after a write.

Yes i am using the BL1Y Jan07,2009 BT-LIGGY firmware that is displayed on the “Device Capabilities”.

I can’t get this to work in either DVD Decrypter or Imgburn.

I have tried using I/O SPTI - Microsoft and ElbyCDIO - Elaborate Bytes and both do not make any difference on the iHAS324Y drive but on the 108BK both work i have not tried the remainder options ASPI or PC/VSO.

I will try the 3 BL1W’s you have suggested and update you and i do not doubt what you both have said you both created firmware/software so i value what you have advised so far i would like to find out why.!!! though and hopefully get working.

As another suggestion would it or could it work if the drive was flashed with a OptiARC AD-7240S v1.04 firmware.(can this be done)

Thanks again for your help i will try the others out and be in touch.

Where ImgBurn is concerned, what I’d ask you to do now is burn another disc (just the DVD+RW will do), but before you click the ‘Write’ button, press the F8 key to enable I/O debug mode. Please make sure you’re using SPTI and with auto change booktype enabled.

That way I can see exactly what your drive is doing and reporting. That’ll allow me to work out why you’re seeing ‘N/A’ in the log rather than ‘DVD-ROM’ as I did.

When the burn has finished, save the log to a file (just via ‘File’ -> ‘Save As’ in the log window) and upload it somewhere for me please.

Hi LIGHTNING UK!,

Consider it done.

i have just downloaded 6 firmwares for BL1W to try

3 for Original Lite-on
ihas324y_bl1w_auto.zip
ihas324y_bl1w_orig.zip
ihas324y_bl1w_rpc1.zip

3 for Liggy’s mod
ihas324y_bl1wbt_auto.zip
ihas324y_bl1wbt_orig.zip
ihas324y_bl1wbt_rpc1.zip

The 3 i have tried so far were
ihas324y_bl1ybt_auto.zip
ihas324y_bl1ybt_orig.zip
ihas324y_bl1ybt_rpc1.zip

but just downloaded as well
ihas324y_bl1y_auto.zip
ihas324y_bl1y_orig.zip
ihas324y_bl1y_rpc1.zip

[QUOTE=tattubato;2557914]Can i upload pictures as proof ?[/QUOTE]
You could, but I trust that you’re telling the truth.

Yes i am using the BL1Y Jan07,2009 BT-LIGGY firmware that is displayed on the “Device Capabilities”.

I just had a quick look at the BL1Y bitsetting firmware (orig) and at least the code that is used when writing the disc is actually called and looks OK on first sight. I will repatch that firmware during my holiday and see if something else could be wrong.

I have tried using I/O SPTI - Microsoft and ElbyCDIO - Elaborate Bytes and both do not make any difference on the iHAS324Y drive but on the 108BK both work i have not tried the remainder options ASPI or PC/VSO.

Using SPTI, ASPI, Patin Couffin or ElbyCDIO shouldn’t make a difference.

I will try the 3 BL1W’s you have suggested

Using one of the firmwares should be sufficient. It must be listed as bitsetting firmware, but it shouldn’t make a difference whether it’s orig, rpc1 or auto.

As another suggestion would it or could it work if the drive was flashed with a OptiARC AD-7240S v1.04 firmware.(can this be done)

It can be done but requires the usage of a hex editor. The bytes at location 0xc to 0xf need to be replaced with the values from an iHAS324Y firmware.

[QUOTE=tattubato;2557934]3 for Liggy’s mod
ihas324y_bl1wbt_auto.zip
ihas324y_bl1wbt_orig.zip
ihas324y_bl1wbt_rpc1.zip[/QUOTE]
Like I already mentioned, testing one of these should be sufficient.

Hi Liggy,

Thanks for info i will try this tonight when i get home.

As benefit to you is there any info inside the drive i can give you if i take it apart in terms of microchip names/ type/model numbers etc.

Am i right in thinking your firmwares are from Jan 2009 but i just bought my drive 3 weeks ago so i was wondering if something was different inside mine as being over 18 months newer ?

Thanks