Bitsetting for DVD+R is here!

upgraded en now the drive doesn t recognize my DVD-RW (who was originally shipped with the 1004)

Originally posted by schapeke
upgraded en now the drive doesn t recognize my DVD-RW (who was originally shipped with the 1004)

I’ve just had exactly the same problem. Flashed to v49b1 and couldn’t read any of the DVD+RW or DVD-RW disks that I’d recorded with previous versions of the firmware (it didn’t seem to recognize the media). I don’t have many RW disks, so can’t claim this was an extensive test. Other media (DVD-R, CD-RW) was ok.

I’ve flashed back to v48 with mtkflash and can read the DVD+RW disk again…

Hmm, I wonder if Marco monitors these posts (it’d be good to get this information back to BTC).

Anthony

it’d be good to get this information back to BTC
Don’t count on Marco to monitor this forum. However just send him an e-mail (you could even include a link to this thread) and he will hear your prayers.

Originally posted by pdu
Don’t count on Marco to monitor this forum. However just send him an e-mail (you could even include a link to this thread) and he will hear your prayers.

Done. Let’s see what happens!

FWIW, and for the benefit of anyone else watching, I decided to try flashing my drive back to firmware 48. But the BTC flasher refused. So I tried using the latest MtkWinFlash… bad move (resulted in a drive that Windows wouldn’t see). As my computer won’t boot DOS (it’s an SGI320) I then had to move the drive to another computer and flash it using mtkflash 1.80.1. Not a process I want to repeat too often!

Anthony

If you wanna play it safe, always flash in DOS :slight_smile: (I know you can’t, but still…)

Happy to hear you were able to solve the problem though.

Cheers,
Peter

Does this release also set book types for DVD+RW? I’ve tried a few times (using this beta release) but it doesn’t seem to be taking.

I’m using Nero 6 with Memorex DVD+RW 2.4x

-Ed

How do you flash this? all the hex files won’t fit on a single floppy.

Floppy 1: Boot, mtkflash, all0-all4
Floopy 2: mtkflash all5-allf

I had a problem with the bitsetter from 49b1_2.zip file.

QUOTE:

[I]"When I try to run bitsetter it gives the following error:

The PSAPI.DLL file is
linked to missing export NTDL.DLL:_stricmp"[/I]

I didn’t flash my drive (1004), before running bitsetter.

Would that make any difference?

Yes, you need the beta firmware for this to work!!!

When i run the bitsetting tool, it sees 49b1 firmware and allows me to change book type to DVD-ROM. However as long as the DVDBitSet.exe is open, Nero and other burning apps will not find the drive. It says the drive is in use and Nero complains to install Nero Burning Rights.

same here

I have NTFS partitions on my hard drive and I use a dos boot disk that I put the NTFSDos driver on the floppy and get access to my NTFS partitions. You can get the read-only driver from this page:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/NTFSDOS.shtml
Go to the very bottom of the page and there is a link there. I have used this several times with no problems at all.

Has anyone gotten bitsetting to work? If so, what burning software did you use?

Did you have to close the bitsetting tool, to burn, or were you able to leave it open? Were you using win9x or 2k/xp?

As I said before when I have the bitsetting tool open Nero and other software says the drive is in use. Anyone get around that?

hi,
I’ve tried twice this flashing but it didn’t work and made my drive unsuable. I had to use Marco’s technique replacing the drive by one working just before flashing it. Can anyone send me the bin file (would save some errors). I really need that bitsetting utility… Is Btc going to release a proper firmware?
Thanks for any help !
bye

If it made the drive unusable its probably because you used the wrong command line flashing it. You should see it erase only once then program each bank. If it erases before each one that means at the end only the last bank will be written.

the command i used was

mtkflash 3 w /h /M16 all.hex

version 1.8.01 of mtkflash.

When you use a bin, you can use the /m switch to avoid the erasing too.

Btw this also made my drive not see -RW and I couldn’t get bitsetting to work on +rw or +r anyway.

Hi,
thanks for your help I’m going to try this tonight…
Its weird that it seems to work for certain and not for others. Hope BTC going to make it work !

Hi,
the flashing went right this time, no problems thanks :slight_smile:
I tried to burn a DVD+R as a DVD-Rom:
launched the utility, made the change to DVD-ROM, had to close it to use Nero and burned the media.
Look in DVDinfo and it was still a DVD+R… Tried with a DVD+RW but the utility didn’t recognized it…

shame.

For me bitsetting is working very fine with the 1008IM and Firmware v0055b2
(the official release v0055 doesn’t support bitsetting).
With Nero 6.0.0.16 (bundled with the drive) I do have an checkbox to select the booktype under the “write speed” selector.
With a newer Demo-Version of Nero I have to use the bitsetting utility, change the booktype, close it and start Nero.
It’s important that you not open the tray after using the utility until the disk is finished of course.

launched the utility, made the change to DVD-ROM, had to close it to use Nero and burned the media.

Thats normal!
You have to check it in another DVD-Drive, not with the burner, and you’ll see that the booktype is set to DVD-ROM.

Originally posted by PizzzaMan
With Nero 6.0.0.16 (bundled with the drive) I do have an checkbox to select the booktype under the “write speed” selector.

Can you explain exactly how to access this. I couldn’t find it anywhere in Nero.