?Bitsetting/Booktype? A Few Questions

vbimport

ok,

#1 Is bitsetting used to set the booktype of the disc

If so, what are the advantages/disadvantages/ to setting the booktype?

I think I messed around with the bitsetting on my nutech ddw082 when I first got it, but I was using dvd-r discs and it didnt work right (as in for some reason i popped out 2 coasters in a row) so I changed everything back to factory defaults & havent burned 2 coasters since. so, do you not need to change the booktype of a dvd-r disc, or what.

#2 I am guessing that changing booktype is mainly used for dvd+r discs? (which is pretty much all I use now) or am i completely insane?

Any input is much appreciated, and im sure there a thread already on here that probably explains it, if so linkie please…

Peace and Luv,

DJ Mind

#1 Is bitsetting used to set the booktype of the disc

If so, what are the advantages/disadvantages/ to setting the booktype?
Correct.
Its advantage is your standalone player or PC see’s it as a DVD-ROM not a DVD+R. So it thinks its a stamped genuine disc. Theres no disadvantages that I know of.

#2 I am guessing that changing booktype is mainly used for dvd+r discs? (which is pretty much all I use now) or am i completely insane?

It is only possible to bitset a + disc, you cannot bitset a -.

Thanks bro…I thought I was on the right track… :iagree:

I shall start bitsetting the discs to the dvd-rom booktype

BTW, I loved your thread comparing all of the backup programs. I have wondered for a while how they would stack up with each other. Thanks for taking the time to test them out and spread the knowledge with others.

Peace and Luv,

DJ Mind

there’s technically one disadvantage to booktyping to dvd-rom, but it’s more often an advantage. a dvd+r booktyped to dvd-rom might be read as fast as a pressed dvd in a dvd-rom drive, which is good because it allows faster reading/ripping of the disc. however, if the quality of the disc isn’t high enough, the drive might have to slow down closer to the outer edge of the disc to read properly, although this “slow” speed is usually still faster than if the disc wasn’t booktyped to dvd-rom. i always booktype my dvd+rs to dvd-rom.

Technically it’s not possible, but a “bit” of chicanery can get close. The compatibility bit is written on the lead-in. If a “new” session is started with the compatibility bit on the border-in, some players can be fooled. Pioneers, for example, reportedly cannot be fooled.

Wish I could find a link, sorry.

Thanks…I’ll look into that.

Peace and Luv,

DJ Mind

Where and/or how is bitsetting to booktype done? Is this a software or hardware feature? I have an NEC 6100A and am using DVD Xcopy to backup DVD’s. Admittedly, I know very little about copying DVD’s. I don’t understand what titlesets are–I just select the one that has the most chapters and copy that one. I don’t understand VoB or TDF or much of anything else about this process. That’s why I use DVD Xcopy–it just “does it” for me!

The reason I am interested in the bitsetting or booktype feature is because a recent burn of “Friday Night Lights” will not play in my sister’s Samsung DVD player. It plays fine in my Panasonic player. I haven’t tried it in my Samsung, but it occurs to me that the bitsetting or booktype feature that makes the copy appear to be an “original” might have some bearing on this problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Scarlett

Try this > http://binflash.cdfreaks.com/

One other minor negative is that you may be unable to erase bitset +RW discs in drives other than the one it was written in.

the method for bitsetting varies from burner to burner. the NEC forum will have more info on how to bitset with your particular burner.

How’s it going? :slight_smile: binflash will work on NEC drives only for DL discs with a native NEC firmware. He’d have to flash the drive with something cooked up by the guys in the NEC forum to get SL book type if I’m not mistaken. Binflash is definitely a great place to start as it’ll do the book type setting and firmware flashing, but, to do what he wants I think he’ll need to flash the drive first.

Okay, guys. Thanks for a start on the information I will be needing. BTW, “he” is a “she.” :slight_smile:

I had no idea this was going to involve flashing my drive–I really thought it was something done in the software. My NEC 6100A is a 16X Dual Layer DVD+R only. I have been told where to find the firmware to flash it to a -R also, but I am a huge proponent of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” Therefore, I have done no flashing of any kind up to this point. I will be building a PVR in the next month or so, and I am trying to learn as much as I can about making/copying DVD’s before I start the project. I will need to buy one or more DVD drives, and I am leaning toward the NEC 3500 or 3520 for one of them. Still trying to determine if I should get a different brand for the ripping part, since the concensus seems to be that there are faster, better rippers, but the NEC’s are great at burning. So far, with my limited knowledge and experience, I am perfectly happy with the results I am getting using the single 6100A with the idiot-proof DVD X-Copy.

That said, I have a burning desire to learn everything I can about this technology, because I would like to be able to make informed choices, as well as producing superior quality copies in the future. This has always been one of my favorite forums. I always get good advice, and frequently links to excellent information. I thank each of you for your time and your considerate replies. I think I probably need to begin at “the beginning.” I’m just not quite sure where that is! :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

Scarlett

Sorry…I forgot to add that, while I have a DL drive, so far I have used only SL 8X media. I am using Fujifilm DVD+R 4.7 GB 8X media. I wouldn’t have the remotest idea how to burn a DL disk! Perhaps there are instructions for doing that with my DVD X-Copy. I will investigate.

I also have DVD 4 Free, DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink installed on my computer, but I have never been successful at using them–the learning curve is a little steeper than that required for DVD X-Copy.

Did I understand correctly from earlier posts that bitsetting and booktype are used only for DL recording? Still “feeling my way” through this maze!

Thanks,

Scarlett

Sorry. Meant no disrespect. :slight_smile:

As for flashing the drive, it’s rather painless. Just make sure you don’t have anything else running at the time. Using BinFlash you can flash your drive in windows if that’s what you’re using for an OS. (Not making any more assumptions here! :)) The NEC forum has the best group of people in it who will answer any and all of your questions. Just make sure to read the sticky topics first as they don’t like redundant questions. :slight_smile: Once you flash your drive to a firmware that supports single layer bit setting, BinFlash can also set the book type you want to use for SL +R, +RW, and DL +R discs. - format discs not only don’t require bit setting, it doesn’t support it.

Now, I’m going to make another suggestion pertaining the software you’re using. DVDXCopy is an ok software, but, there are more capable software packages out there that you should at least take a look at. On the freeware side of things, DVD Decryptor is great at ripping discs(even with the new copy protections) to your hard drive. DVD Shrink, also freeware, is an excellent transcoder that allows you to keep the whole movie or just do a movie only copy. Nero’s Recode is a derivative of DVD Shrink…the author of Shrink went to work for Nero. Recode is the commercial version of Shrink. CloneDVD2 is another great software that I use in combination with AnyDVD. Both programs can be bought from SlySoft in a package deal. AnyDVD allows you to process the DVD on the fly…it’s a driver that sits between the DVD drive and whatever software you use to process it. It really speeds up the process a lot.

Anyway, I hope this info helps. Check out the individual forums for all the software to get an idea of what they can and can’t do. Also visit the NEC forum for more info on flashing your drive and to find a bit setting capable firmware. Oh, and if you’re concerned with messing up the drive, simply make a backup of your current firmware using binflash. If something goes wrong or it doesn’t work the way you want, you can always flash it back to its original state. Good luck!

Guess I should have read a little further before replying, eh?! Looks like you tried Shrink already. If you need help with that, certainly ask. There are guides that will take you through it step by step. If you’d like one, we can certainly point you in the right direction.

And no, bit setting works on SL discs providing you have a firmware capable of bit setting for SL discs. That may be confusing. Official NEC firmware isn’t capable of SL bit setting, but, it CAN do DL bit setting. Some of the firmware you’ll find in the NEC forum has been modified by some incredibly talented people and adds SL bit setting capabilities. This is possible because other companies such as Mad Dog use drives made by NEC but add bit setting capabilities to their firmware.

Going good here thanks. I never even thought about HER lol using non-modified f/w. Sorry i was just trying to help.

I wasn’t trying to give you a hard time for helping at all. I hope I didn’t come across that way. It’s always good to try and help people. I just didn’t want her to get confused when using binflash and only having the option to set the booktype for DL discs. Take care!

Heck i was just replying. You didn’t come accross no certain way. Hope all is good your way. :slight_smile:

Wonderful information, thanks! And no problem about the gender assumption–I certainly wasn’t offended but thought you might like to know. :slight_smile:

Your assumption about a Windows OS was correct. I am using XP Pro, without SP2. I am happy to know that I probably won’t hurt my drive by flashing it–there are always so many dire warnings about the possibility of frying your drive that it makes me a little nervous. I have flashed other hardware in the past with no problems, but there is always that first time lurking in the back of my mind.

I would love to have a step-by-step guide for using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. Just point me in the right direction–I can follow instructions fairly well. I think I need a glossary also–there are so many terms that I don’t understand yet. I do agree that there are wonderful people here who have the answers to everything, and I understand their impatience with redundant questions. I have read and printed much of what I have found here and will continue to do so. If I happen to ask a question that has been answered elsewhere, someone will usually provide a link to the answer. I am grateful for any and all suggestions.

I have just located a silver NEC ND-3500A and ordered it! I had already ordered a “universal” Lian Li silver bezel for DVD drives, and then I happened onto a store with an inventory of six silver NEC 3500’s. I couldn’t believe my good luck. Now I need to go back and read the post about the drive that does the best job of ripping so that I can order that one as well. Maybe I will be able to use my Lian Li bezel for that drive instead. If I am going to be using two different DVD drives, I think it is even more important for me to learn how to use the alternate software that you recommended. I will have more hard drive space in the new computer, so that shouldn’t be an issue. I like the idea of recording on the fly with AnyDVD–I will investigate that software, as well as Clone DVD2, also.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond so thoroughly to my questions!

Scarlett

Scarlett > http://www.dvddecrypter.com/ has a forum and probably a guide. Here’s a guide from one of the members here for Shrink > http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?forumid=336827&messageid=1098691837&lp=1099860513 I use AnyDVD & CloneDVD2 from http://www.slysoft.com/en/ . If you buy CloneDVD2 there it’s cheaper than getting CloneDVD2 from Elaborate Bytes site > http://www.elby.ch/products/clone_dvd/index.html . They have great support here in this forum > http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62 If you try modified f/w for your NEC http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86 i have never had any trouble with it and have been flashing my NEC’s with it for 5 months or so but will void your warrenty and it’s worth it to me. Use good media like Fujifilm “made in japan” or Verbatim from your local Best Buy and you should be good to go. Read in the media forums here also. There’s alot of good info here. Binflash is a great tool for flashing. http://binflash.cdfreaks.com/ Sorry i don’t have a link for a glossery. And above all…Make sure you flash your drive with the correct f/w for your drive. Double check to make sure. Happy burning :cool: