Bitrates?

I was reading the “Percentage Acceptable for 1 Disc Backup” but I wasn’t clear on what a good/poor avg bitrate would be. Using BitRate Viewer on Michael Clayton I get an avg of 9606. So that’s pretty high avg, right? (DVDFab will copy it at 78%.)

So what’s a good bitrate avg, what’s a poor bitrate avg?

Thanks,
Harold

9606 is impossible for standard DVD - it would imply the video content is only about 1 hour in total.

Anyways, see here.

Regards

Acceptable bitrates will largely depend on the type of video being compressed. For example, cartoons are usually relatively easy to compress, while high-action movies require higher bitrates to maintain the same level of perceived quality.

@ Blutach.

I had been meaning to ask this question, if you use the Bitrate tool, can you use this tool to check and see if you have a 100% backup? For example if you burn to dual layer disc, and the bitrate is the same as the original, does that mean it is a 1:1 copy?

The bitrate is irrelevant in a DL copy. Just copy the (ripped) files and you will of course have a 1:1 backup. Verifying your burn will ensure the disc can be read and the copy is 1:1

Regards

If you’re not compressing your video, then it will be 1:1. There’s no need to check the bitrate.

Edit: Looks like I was a minute too late.

Sorry to bring this back up but I got another question.

As many have stated its not so much compression percentages that matter, could one check the bitrate of the original and then compare to that of a compressed DVD5 and see how good the rate is?

I dont fully understand bitrates and the such, but am I making sense with this?

bump

Run your transcoded DVD thru Bitrate Viewer.

Regards

[QUOTE=blutach;2018279]Run your transcoded DVD thru Bitrate Viewer.

Regards[/QUOTE]

What I was wondering is if there was a formula or percentage of how much you would want to lose bitrate wise?

No, % is meaningless. What would you rather have? 60% of 7,000 or an uncompressed 3,500?

Having said that, try to get things in the 4,000+ range, if you can (especially if the movie has lots of high action sequences - movies which just have people sitting round talking can easily be done at lower BRs). 3,500-4,000 will still be excellent. This ignores things like quant - which is as important as BR.

Regards