BitDefender releases free anti-ransomware software

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: BitDefender releases free anti-ransomware software[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/03/BDAntiRansomware_2016-03-29_16-49-03-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Antivirus vendor BitDefender has released a free tool that should protect users against variants of the CTB-Locker, Locky and TeslaCrypt ransomware.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/bitdefender-releases-free-anti-ransomware-software-78984/](http://www.myce.com/news/bitdefender-releases-free-anti-ransomware-software-78984/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I guess it is only to :clap: - This should be built into your existing anti-malware application as there is getting to be enough security applications running in your system tray as it is Anti- Virus/Malware/Exploit.

Still, better than nothing :flower:

Just tried running this and Panda Antivirus flagged one of the files in the temp install folder as a virus,
and terminated the install.

Nothing might just be better.

Best way to avoid ransomware stop going to blacksites. And use only limited account with Admin/Owner account password protected. Only by doing this will you truly secure your computer. But then again people never listen til it’s to late.

Wow!, that really upset Kaspersky, it took around 5 minutes to kill off all the alterations the Bitdefender installed. it thought the whole thing was either malware, or a virus! I don’t think it will work unless you use Bitdefender anti virus along with it.
I’ll stick with being careful and aware of where I go on the net.

And then Malwarebytes has another offer, albeit still in beta and not listed on their site as of yet.
However, you can already download it by heading over to bleepingcomputer.com.

There’s got to be some cleanup done soon. We got Antivirus, Antimalware, Antiexploit and now Antiransomware? In a while you won’t have resources left to use the computer yourself :wink:

Malwarebytes used to be at the top of my use list for years, but a while back and I do mean a while I got tired of fighting it, our home server, the machine my wife runs and mine. I even started the trial version on our home server, program starts, sometimes it finishes the scan, sometimes it doesn’t and then it won’t shut down. When it starts acting up, it really messes you up. Did not even finish the trial. This is our own experience, cannot speak for others. I don’t even have the free version on my machine anymore.

Antivirus, Antimalware, Antiexploit Antiransomware, Antimicrosoft. This is more than ridiculous, Some antivirus company must be able to incorporate all this in to one programme. Xercus is right, small SSD boot drives will be out as they will be far too small to contain it all. It’s getting bigger than the O/S.
Even Linux isn’t safe any more! I think I will get a new hobby, like knitting.
Seriously, it is becoming a real pain, no surfing the web any more just to see what’s out there. It’s full of sharks now.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2771149]Antivirus, Antimalware, Antiexploit Antiransomware, Antimicrosoft. This is more than ridiculous, Some antivirus company must be able to incorporate all this in to one programme. Xercus is right, small SSD boot drives will be out as they will be far too small to contain it all. It’s getting bigger than the O/S.
Even Linux isn’t safe any more! I think I will get a new hobby, like knitting.
Seriously, it is becoming a real pain, no surfing the web any more just to see what’s out there. It’s full of sharks now.[/QUOTE]

:bigsmile:
On a serious note, the net has always been ‘shark infested water’, just not as much.

One of nature’s more intriguing experiments this, I’m talking bout intelligence. Seemingly with an overweight given to the wrong species judged by how ‘they’ want to prey on each other, all the way from individuals trying to cheat Jane and John to governments trying to control the population who elected them… All sprung out of greed… A sad world, I think I’ll join you in knitting.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2771149]Antivirus, Antimalware, Antiexploit Antiransomware, Antimicrosoft. This is more than ridiculous, Some antivirus company must be able to incorporate all this in to one programme.[/QUOTE]

Norton/Symantec is pretty good at producing such crap.

Welcome to the endless loop of earning money on strange things. As long as people are afraid and data might be lost, people will believe you will need all this crap.

I was using Kaspersky total internet security and found I wasn’t using most of it.
I now just use the Antivirus version, much cheaper and that quietly gets on with an Antirootkit scan every day. I also have Malwarebytes pro and Malwarebytes Antiexploit pro. Those two I got for free as a birthday present from a good friend that’s in IT. I really don’t think I need anything else as none of them seem to catch anything except false positives and the odd PUP which turn out to be harmless. I guess they could be an infringement on my privacy, so I dump them anyway.

The crazy amount of bloat in Kasperski’s total internet thing is ridiculous, they promise loads of useful things and all you get is mostly useless crap!
Apart from the Antimicrosoft (I was joking, well kind of) Antivirus, Antimalware, Antiexploit Antiransomware all in one would be useful for some people, don’t forget, most users don’t have a clue and click on anything.

My neighbour down the street is one, no matter how many times I tell her, she gets caught with ransomeware and a few other nasties. I’ve had to reprogramme her laptop many times. As she’s a good friend and helps me out with the heavy jobs I cant do, I will do it, but not for anyone else, unless they want to pay me the going rate. (for an O/S install that is, not paying the ransom)