BitComet Questions

I recently downloaded and began using BitComet. I am generally happy with it but i have a few questions that i need some help with…Thank you in advance.

1. What is a acceptable download speed? my computer is less than a year old, i am connected with a cable modem…most of my downloads are around 50kb/s is that good or bad?

2)Does BitComet accelerator work well? If so which version? i have seen several

3)What does the health bar/%'s represent?

4)When the file is referred to as a dvd rip what extension is that exactly? i do not see it on format lists

5)Which program is the best for converting dvd rip and .avi files to .iso files? i would like to convert them for use in CloneDvd2

Again thank you in advance… i know all of these answers are in these forums or the web somewhere but this site has saved me alot of time in the past. All of my past questions have been answered quickly and i appriciate all the help.

1. Speed is entirely dependant on uploaders. Do you mean kb/s or kB/s there is a difference.

2. Generally a DVD rip will be made using DivX or Xvid, you will see a lot are avi. DVD-Rs aer archives and exctracting will give you a disc image to burn using progs like Nero.

3. Rips have to be converted to make DVDs using converting software there are many out there try here for info:http://www.videohelp.com/

2 and 3 I can’t answer though I would suspect the %health bar might be either how much you have donwloaded or if it is complete on the BT network.

Don’t know about 2 haven’t tried it yet but health bar is referring to the amount of seeders (if there are 3 seeders and 0 leechers it will have a health of 300%

Don’t know about 2 haven’t tried it yet but health bar is referring to the amount of seeders and leechers (if there are 3 seeders and 0 leechers it will have a health of 300%).
It’s not really that important actually,just look at the amount of seeders and peers.

5)Which program is the best for converting dvd rip and .avi files to .iso files? i would like to convert them for use in CloneDvd2

if you want simple and fast, use vsodivxtodvd All you have to is add the avi and it creates the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders for you. You can then burn with any burning software. There is a shareware version called ConvertXtoDVD that adds some features like a simple menu and wmv support.

thanks 4 the help guys. cd freaks forums always comes through 4 me.

I use AVI DivX MPEG to DVD Converter & Burner Pro work fine :bigsmile:

Many trackers now blacklist BitComet, so I’ve switched entirely to BitSpirit. Similar interface but faster speeds, no modem/router swamping, and not blacklisted.

Why is BitComet getting blacklisted?

Well the developers of BitComet have implemented some things that the tracker site owners don’t like.

The latest and most damning thing is that it allows rebroadcasting of torrent data from private sites… creating quite a security risk. It ignores the privacy flags, and also allows unchecked rebroadcasting over its fallback network.

Also it’s a pretty antisocial program, it swamps connections a LOT.

oh so what program should we use now instead of bitcomet?

there are about 4206987 bittorrent clients besides bitcoment. take your pick haha

well bitcomet is a good program cause its easy but now i heard all this stuff i wonder what people would recommend to use.

i use bitlord. i like it. azureus is really popular also. doesn’t hurt to try some out.

I have never used BitLord my self but a few members on this forum have commented that it contained spyware. I can’t say if it’s true or not! Never used it my self, but maybe it’s better to try or use some of the other ones out there.

hehe there are tons but i want one where its like bitcomet easy to use . any suggestions?

BitSpirit LOOKS and FEELS very much like Bit Comet (setup is a longer wizard, but simple enough)… but it’s not blacklisted, AND it won’t swamp your modem. :wink:

honestly, this is probably true…it’s got its own little searchbar thing in it with an ad or two every now and then. i use a few different spyware programs and AVG virus scanner and I’ve never had anything pop up, but it wouldn’t surprise me…

BitSpirit is a good alternative, but it doesn’t support header encrpt. There are patches that you can make your BitComet appear to be another client, so you don’t get blocked.

I use uTorrent