Bit rates, music distribution and flac files

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On DH-20A3P. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi folks, I am getting ready to do a few marketing jobs for some musicians. My question is… what is the cleanest way to convert music(.cda) to flac… and what should I watch out for.

The premise is of course, lossless, drm free music offered via different download vehicles (direct, p2p, etc).

Questions:

1. Best app to use
  2. Bit rate considerations
  3. Should I use flac? I think I should use flac but I am guessing I will need to provide plugins for various media players. Does the peanut gallery know what a flac file is?
  4. Another consideration is portability to mobile devices like an ipod. How should I approach this.

thanks for help,
Nigel

Edit: hope this is in the right forum… hardware is academic really, I just clicked one.

If I were you I’d just use a high bitrate MP3. A lot more people and devices can handle MP3 than FLAC, and frankly if I were buying music I wouldn’t want to hassle with transcoding to put it in my iThing. But if you want to use FLAC a lot of computer media players already handle it.

If the initial quality is really good, it may be worth providing in both formats: FLAC for those who have high-end audio playback capability and MP3 for those who don’t. MP3 will be considerably smaller in size, and most hardware computer users have they wouldn’t even tell the differance between a properly encoded 128kbps MP3 vs a FLAC. (though high-end audio cards with the output having a good frequency responce will make the differances noticeable)