Bit of a n00b question (sorry)

right i have a latop with a 40gb Harddrive (yes i know not very good)

it has 3 partition drives.

BOOT( C: ) - 19.5gb - (4.43gb remaining)

BACKUP( D: ) - 11.7gb - (10.1gb remaining) Screenshot

RECOVER( E: ) - 5.94gb - (3.89gb remaining) Screenshot

as you can see i dont have alot of C: drive disk space left so what i want to do is take about 7.5gb from the D: and leave the contents of the D: as it is.

Unless i dont need it in D: and it would not mess my latop up if it was in the C:

please reply as soon as possible.
thanks in advance :slight_smile:

So you want to take space from D: and add it to C:?

I think you can do it with Partition Magic though I am not sure if you might
have to delete the D: partition first.

[quote=MegaDETH;1931530]So you want to take space from D: and add it to C:?

I think you can do it with Partition Magic though I am not sure if you might
have to delete the D: partition first.[/quote]

yes thats basically what i need to do. i think ill have a go at this partition magic. thanks.

can i have a link for this please.

You can buy Partition Magic here, they might also have a free trial, I am not sure
http://shop.symantecstore.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=symnahho&Locale=en_US&ThemeID=106300&Env=BASE&productID=44316200&pgm=6037100

[quote=alan1476;1931538]You can buy Partition Magic here, they might also have a free trial, I am not sure
http://shop.symantecstore.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=symnahho&Locale=en_US&ThemeID=106300&Env=BASE&productID=44316200&pgm=6037100[/quote]

i still cant find it :S any more links. i look on another site and they said you can only see what it does not actually use it.

Here you can find some free partition managers :slight_smile:

right i download one called “powerquest partition manager 7.0” and i took 8gb off my D drive and it was name unaccounted space or something. so i tried to put it on to my c drive. everything was looking ok, then it said “error 501” something like that. ok then my computer came back on from rebooting, then i started this software again and i still had that unaccounted space there and it was gone from my computer. from all the drives aswell. so i tried to put it on my D drive again and again it showed me an error. but this time when i rebooted it, it showed my D drive was gone compeletly i started up the software and it was there but im trying everything i know to restore it and it not like i can master reset my computer either because that wont effect the drives. any help please let me know. :frowning:

To recover damaged partitions the best solution I can suggest is a live CD linux distribution named System Rescue CD. Also Knoppix is good, but the ISO image file to download is bigger.

Download the ISO image, burn it on a CD, and then boot from the CD. With included tools it’s possible to recover damaged partitions.

It’s not an easy task, and if you don’t know what are doing it’s better to not mess further with partitions and ask to a computer geek.