Bit-For-Bit

Hi. Well now I’m round these forums for over a year and this is my first posting, because I have the first question not being able to get an answer by searching around…

As far as I am informed, there is one method to crack every copy protection without problems and this is a bit-for-bit (or bit-per-bit) copy of a cd… This should give a 100% copy that is nothing different from the original…

I heard there are some progs for that for free in linux, but I was told only few could do this in windows… Well and I would be interested in those few… They need not to be free…

So my question:
First is it true that this will allow to backup any cd now and in future (at least if they are not going to change to chips implemented in the cd or something)
Second if yes or at least if it’s partially true… which are the programs that can do it and which one of them is the best (I actually read that Pinnacel’s InstantCopy 7 could do it… but I mistrust Pinnacle a bit g) Or if I am wrong informed tell me what bit-for-bit really can do and why I was wrong… g

ohyes and forgot… maybe do I need a special burner or something? what hardware specs does a bit-for-bit copy need?

PS: so know the admins cannot even tell me that I never have posted g

Instant Copy doesn’t do bit by bit copies. It takes video files that are larger than a DVD-R and compresses the video so it’ll fit on one disk. Back in my Atari ST days, there was a program that did bit by bit copies. You attached special cables to two floppy drives and it would copy anything. I haven’t heard of anything yet that can do it for CD-ROMs.

I am 99.99% sure that there is no hardware that you can use to copy bit-for-bit of cds. Why? Because of EFM encoding etc. But this probably would be a better question for the experts in the Optical Storage Technical Discussions forum, because it is quite technical.

Im sure alexnoe and spath can give you much more informative answers than i can.

Angle-based copy protections (securom, cd-cops, etc…) cannot be copied this way. The key here is the length and position of various sectors on a cd, and has nothing to do with the actual data bits.

this sounds very interesting now… especially that you mention securom…

Because the wa I first got this bit-by-bit idea was in a discussion on burning ut2003. Manypeople said it’s impossible, I said I did it with Blindwrite, and then some guy cam and toldabout “cdrdao” a linux program that would do bit-by-bit and could backup ut2003 with no problem… And afaik ut2003 has Securom 4.78

You say if there are two disks with the very same binary combination of 1s and 0s … they can be different? So there are actually things to be read out that are not written on the disk as that?

such a program (one that makes exact copies of any cd) doesn’t exist. if it did, then i’m sure that practically everyone would be aware of it. there are certain things that can be pressed onto a cd that (at least presently) can’t be written by a burner.

But no copy protection uses that? or why can be backup almost any game after some time?

the tool he mentioned is a linux burning software without GUI… so even if it would be the very best thing it would not be widespread, but what I actually thought of was that it could be that the program existed but was not to be used with much burners or extremely expensive or stuff…

so you say the perfect copy of binaries is no use or does not exist? g

if such a program existed, trust me, it would be widespread whether it had a gui or not, and frontends would be written for it anyway. as an example, the LAME mp3 encoder has no gui, and yet it’s probably the most popular external mp3 encoder on the net, and has numerous front ends written for it.

i’m not doubting that cdrdao exists (i know for a fact that it does and is not restricted to linux), i’m saying that it’s not the perfect copier that u want it to be.

just because some copy protections can be circumvented doesn’t mean that burners are capable of exact one-to-one copies for everything u can think of.

are there ways to make working copies of most discs? yes
are there ways to copy absolutely any disc? no (at the very least not yet)

Originally posted by Syberdoor
and then some guy cam and toldabout “cdrdao” a linux program that would do bit-by-bit and could backup ut2003 with no problem…

Look in this thread for CDRDAO!!

In any case, not only is there a windows version of cdrdao but there is an outstanding free (for non-commercial use) frontend. It’s the well known burnatonce. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

[There are, of course, other frontends for cdrdao (e.g. XDuplicator which is OK and Cdpisac which is truly awful amongst others) and CDManipulator which isn’t bad uses a hacked version of cdrdao code.]

thx for the answers…

well as you say this bit-by-bit thingy isn’t very useful at all… what do you think is the best backupüing tool at the moment? new cloneCd, blindwrite, alcohol or something completely new?

i hear about how good a lot of linux users are at programming why has nobody written a program yet that can do a bit for bit copy

something that looks at one cd or dvd and then makes an exact duplicate of the bits on the disk

i’m new at linux and using freespire and its getting to the stage where a lot of windows users could be converted to linux users

after all who the hell wants to make bill any richer than he already is

anyway hope fully some of the programmers for linux will get together and come up with a true bitcopy program

thankyou