Bioware drops Securom

Bioware has released a patch today, v1.23 for NWN. They claim to have dropped Securom completely. Not Tested yet.

looks like that it is true (tried it with beta patch for german version because 1.23 is not yet avaiable for german version) I tested my image from NWN without the mds-file for securom 3 emulation and it works. And Scout also can’t detect any Securom on NWN anymore.
This was with German v1.23 Beta 3 PATCH.

Good to know someone’s finally listening to their customer’s complaints. Of course, it may just have been because sales were dropping off as a result of people wanting to play online (who have to update to do so) finding that their original cds no longer work. Still, perhaps I’m being too cynical. :wink:

I have tested it this evening. First I upgraded to 1.23 and then tried my back-up copy. It worked. So far, so good.

I then burnt an on-the-fly copy of the play disc with nero using its standard dao mode (i.e. no sub-codes which would necessary if it still had securerom protection). Good news again. The nero copy worked both from my dvd and my cdrw (without hide cd media).

Accordingly, I can confirm that not only has securerom been removed but the accompanying atip check is also gone. As an added bonus, the game now loads considerably faster than it did prior to the removal of the securerom protection.

There is, however, still a simple cd check so you do need to have either the original or a copy of the play disc in one of your drives to play the game.

Originally posted by philamber
Accordingly, I can confirm that not only has securerom been removed but the accompanying atip check is also gone.

I guess the ATIP-Check was a part of the Securom protection

My version works perfectly with 1.23 !

I bet they will add it back to the normal Securom New in the next version. Just a feeling.:confused:

Well i hope not!

a little out of topic but related to securom

how it works? actually?

my friend have warcarft 3 original + latest patch…
and i used clonyxxl to scan cd for protection

the latest clonyxxl that is…
and it said it has no protection…so i went ahead and used clonecd and made a backup cd… using the standard game cd profile on a 24x liteon… comes out…works great…just have to hide cd-r media

so the question is… does it have protection or does it not
??

i thought all warcraft 3 is supposed to have securom…

WCIII has the new securerom new protection. However, clony often gets it wrong, particularly where securerom new is concerned.

Yep that’s right, it has happened tome also in more than one occasions.

I think it would be best if people just doublechecked with more than one protection detections software (such as yaps or scout - do a google search) on the game they want to backup before going for it. Although the standard game profile should get it right anyways most of the times :wink:

The ATIP check is definately part of SecuROM, Sony were the first company to introduce an ATIP check into their CPS (Copy Protection System)

Does the reading of ATIP information work only with CD-R/W and DVD drives? Or does it work with normal CDROMs also?

As i understand it ATIP is only read by drives that can write, ie DVD/CD writers. DVDrom or CDrom drives do not read ATIP so a backup of securerom new will work on these without any extra measures (eg “hide cd media” in clonecd tray).

Generally that is true, however SOME (very few) drives that are not CD / DVD writers can read ATIP. Personally I have never found an ordinary drive that can read ATIP.

well… i think my pioneer dvd106s can read ATIP… cause i can’t play WC3 on it…but with hide cd media…i can

Insert the WC3 backup and use cdridentifier to read the manufacturer. If it is displayed, then your drive can definitely read ATIPs.

Originally posted by AtomicX
The ATIP check is definately part of SecuROM, Sony were the first company to introduce an ATIP check into their CPS (Copy Protection System)
D2 was the first SecuROM ATIP Check, yeah? Did this precede the patch for Max Payne that took it from SD 2.3 to 2.4 + ATIP Check?