Bios upgrade

I am not sure I am in the right forum but will ask and maybe you all can tell me.

I just got a new studio XPS 1640. In the literature they sent it said to upgrade ALL firmware, bios etc. etc. It even lists the order this should be done.

Has anyone else flashed the bios on a laptop like this and also the other things like the video, camera etc.?

Thank you in advance

[QUOTE=MeggieJJ;2311221]I am not sure I am in the right forum but will ask and maybe you all can tell me.

I just got a new studio XPS 1640. In the literature they sent it said to upgrade ALL firmware, bios etc. etc. It even lists the order this should be done.

Has anyone else flashed the bios on a laptop like this and also the other things like the video, camera etc.?

Thank you in advance[/QUOTE]
I have a new Studio 17 that is running on the “as shipped” drivers and BIOS.
It’s actually running well, but sometime soon (being the busy-body I am) I will D/L and run SiSoft Sandra and/or Everest Home Edition and determine what drivers and BIOS I have.
Then I will go through the “latest” at Dell and D/L install the newer drivers–D/L and flash to the latest BIOS.

Some would say, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” and there is some truth to that. Updating drivers is pretty safe but if a BIOS flash goes bad, you can render your computer useless.
For the BIOS flash, follow Dell’s instrctions exactly and if possible draw system power through an [B]U[/B]n-interruptible [B]P[/B]ower [B]S[/B]upply
Losing power during a flash is a very bad thing.

Jflan, thanks for the reply. I just could not understand along with the laptop in the box was a slip of paper saying to charge the laptop 12 hours, then upgrade the bios and so on according to the list. I have never had to upgrade a new computer.
I am getting the laptop with a 500G 7200 rpm drive and praying it won’t run HOT like a lot of them that I have read about. Will buy one of those pads with fans in them to put under it though.

Hi,[QUOTE=MeggieJJ;2311221]I am not sure I am in the right forum but will ask and maybe you all can tell me.[/quote]Hmmm. Okay, Bios is some kind of firmware also. :slight_smile:

I’d suggest to leave it as is unless you are running into problems.
You may check Dell support website if there are newer drivers, Bios, firmware etc. available for your laptop. If you enter your Service Tag on support.dell.com, then you are offered only these drivers etc. that are valid for your individual computer.

Yes, I have done this more than once. The process is rather straightforward, just read the instructions given on Dell website.

But as already mentioned, there is no need to update Bios, ODD firmware and drivers unless there are problems with a certain component.
And if your laptop is a brand new model, then the drivers from Dell support website are the same as those that are already installed.

Michael

[QUOTE=MeggieJJ;2311304]Jflan, thanks for the reply. I just could not understand along with the laptop in the box was a slip of paper saying to charge the laptop 12 hours, then upgrade the bios and so on according to the list. I have never had to upgrade a new computer.
I am getting the laptop with a 500G 7200 rpm drive and praying it won’t run HOT like a lot of them that I have read about. Will buy one of those pads with fans in them to put under it though.[/QUOTE]
The initial battery charge is important so to ensure the longest run times and service life.
It is odd that they mention a BIOS upgrade right out of the box. If it is critical, they shoiuld have done it…maybe another cost-cutting measure ?

With your Service Tag number entered at the Dell download site, you may be able to read the release notes and see what this new BIOS fixes.
For future reference you could print out all the available updates (drivers) as well.