BIOS problems

I just got a new (used) computer for my mom (Compaq SR2170NX) and I installed a fresh copy of Vista and was updating all drivers and such. I downloaded the latest BIOS from HP’s website, and right after I installed it, I could no longer retreive files off of a CD/DVD while in Windows. It would just hang up as the CD spins, sometimes the folder would open eventually but very very slow and then it would hang again when trying to access a file.
The computer came with 1 CD/DVD drive, and the person I bought it from had added a 2nd DVD drive. And they both worked right up until I installed the new BIOS.
Anyways I tried everything I could think of and still was having problems. Finally I went into BIOS and changed the PIO/DMA setting for the original CD drive from auto to PIO3 and DMA3. Im not sure really why but it worked. CD’s worked in that drive, but still not the other. So I changed settings in the other one to PIO2 and DMA2 (do they conflict if they’re the same #'s??) and that fixed that one too.
Anyway Im clueless about these settings, can someone tell me why Auto settings won’t work, and what I should set PIO and DMA to?
Thanks.

Here what I would try I would go back to bios and set it to auto then go to device manager remove the two drives restart the computer and let windows find them again. I do not know how you get to device manager in vista but you can go to google and search how to get to device manager in vista and it should tell you.

I can try that, but Ive reinstalled Windows twice, wouldn’t that have done the same thing?

I would try it anyway I would also go to hp site and to there live chat they will work with you even if it is out of Warranty. They are one of the better companies for this. compaq is made by hp.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/solveCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3340210

https://wimpro2.cce.hp.com/ChatEntry/Chat.aspx?productOID=3340210&productLine=6J&productSNI=compaqpres3340206&productName=Compaq+Presario+SR2170NX+Desktop+PC&productCategory=89327&SCOID=82702&h_cc=us&h_lang=en&lc=en&PSOID=3339270&lang=en&cc=us

[QUOTE=KevN2008;2154285]I could no longer retreive files off of a CD/DVD while in Windows. It would just hang up as the CD spins, sometimes the folder would open eventually but very very slow and then it would hang again when trying to access a file.

Finally I went into BIOS and changed the PIO/DMA setting for the original CD drive from auto to PIO3 and DMA3. Im not sure really why but it worked. CD’s worked in that drive, but still not the other. So I changed settings in the other one to PIO2 and DMA2 (do they conflict if they’re the same #'s??) and that fixed that one too.
[/QUOTE]
Programmed IO (PIO) requires the CPU to stop what it’s doing, retrieve data from the drive, and then write it to RAM.

Direct Memory Access requires the CPU to disconnect from the RAM bus (but not stop what it’s doing) while the Drive transfers a block of Data directly into memory at high speed.

The original DMA was about 3 times faster transfers than PIO … since then, they’ve developed “Multi-Word DMA”, UDMA1, UDMA2, UDMA3, UDMA4, UDMA5, UDMA6 which (or course) gets faster in every revision.

Current standard for IDE optical drives is PIO4 & UDMA4 (depending on how recent your drive is it may only be UDMA2, or UDMA3).

Typically, PIO mode pauses your computer for 1/2 a second for every drive access. It works, it’s just incredibly slow.

It’s your call on the settings you want.