Bios for Laptop Studio XPS 1645

vbimport

A Dell tech came into my computer and against my telling him I did not want to upgrade my bios since so many problems I have read are with the A10 bios (I had A09). He did it anyway and said I could always go back to the A09. Now that I tried it will not let me.

Dell has come out with an A11 which I am afraid to go to. Has anyone had any experience with this and how can I go to back to the A09 since following instructions on the Dell site does not work. Has anyone tried the A11?

He also change drivers for my networks that totally screwed up my computer and I had to do a reinstall with ghost (this is after trying to downgrade the bios). Then I had to reinstall some programs that were not in that ghost backup. I am now able to connect to the net and have no problems other then at time fan goes wild which it did not do until the bios upgrade.

Upgrade, getting newer bioses usually doesn’t harm at all…
The fan “issue” is probably a countermeasure for not overheating components.
//Danne

I’ve NEVER had a bad experience with a Dell Bios Upgrade/update.

My 1525 (a Core2Duo 2.0GHz with 3mb of ram) when upgraded from A16 to A17 cut it’s boot up time by 25%

Even my old Dell 600m is running A17…

And though i’ve never had a problem loading a new windows driven bios flash I’m still on the edge of my seat every time I do it…

Frankly if a bios update fails in process it’s really hard to recover from, so I don’t know whay you’d want to go back and run the same risk… again…

If there is an even newer bios I’d say go for it, but to roll back with all the problems with the A10?
on some machines?

AD

Thank you all for your input. Yes, each time you upgrade or downgrade a bios you run the risk of frying the MOB. There is an A11 out now but I don’t want to try it as I want to wait and see what others say after they upgrade to it.
Dell has had a problem with this computer throttling and has not solved the problem to the satisfaction of a lot of people hence the upgraded bios. I personally love this computer but since the upgraded bios have had more fan noise. The tech really messed it up otherwise, thank goodness I had a ghost backup or I would have been formatting and starting from scratch.

[QUOTE=MeggieJJ;2537983]Thank you all for your input. Yes, each time you upgrade or downgrade a bios you run the risk of frying the MOB. There is an A11 out now but I don’t want to try it as I want to wait and see what others say after they upgrade to it.
Dell has had a problem with this computer throttling and has not solved the problem to the satisfaction of a lot of people hence the upgraded bios. I personally love this computer but since the upgraded bios have had more fan noise. The tech really messed it up otherwise, thank goodness I had a ghost backup or I would have been formatting and starting from scratch.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to tell you but the last part doesn’t involve the bios at all…that is a totally different system by itself. If you plan to flash your bios do it from a flash stick or from a saved location on your HDD not from a remote dell site. If your connects goes out or fails you will have a unusable computer.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2537999]Sorry to tell you but the last part doesn’t involve the bios at all…that is a totally different system by itself. If you plan to flash your bios do it from a flash stick or from a saved location on your HDD not from a remote dell site. If your connects goes out or fails you will have a unusable computer.[/QUOTE]

It was not the bios that I was referring to that he messed up. It was drivers he got off the intel site that evidently were not for this computer. The bios was downloaded and saved to my hard drive and installed from the hd (desktop). I did not want the bios upgraded as I am a believer in if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. This all started with a battery Dell sent that would not give me but 2 hours on a new 9 cell battery. He was going to fix the power settings and he really fixed it. When he finished it was one big mess.

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2537940]Upgrade, getting newer bioses usually doesn’t harm at all…
The fan “issue” is probably a countermeasure for not overheating components.
//Danne[/QUOTE]

Which is caused by the new bios. That is proven factor by others and downgrades the speed and running of the computer which is not what you paid for. Mine did not overheat and was running fine although others that played intensive games on the 1645 complained of throttleing hence the upgraded bios which I didn’t need or want.

Don’t upgrade! i did triying to solve a minor issue with the card reader and now my turboboost is blocked between 0 and 2 GHz (before was going up to 2.7) and the computer is much slower in calculations (I use it to run maths simulations…) damn!

[QUOTE=hakepon;2540274]Don’t upgrade! i did triying to solve a minor issue with the card reader and now my turboboost is blocked between 0 and 2 GHz (before was going up to 2.7) and the computer is much slower in calculations (I use it to run maths simulations…) damn![/QUOTE]

Problem is the tech upgraded without my permission to the A10. With the A09 I had no problems. I have tried to revert to the A09 but it keeps telling me I have a newer version and won’t allow it. I would like to go back to A09 but don’t want to fry the mother board or cause any problems.

With the A10 whenever I go to ustream or a video the fan just whirs and whirs I didn’t have this before the upgrade.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2537999]Sorry to tell you but the last part doesn’t involve the bios at all…that is a totally different system by itself. If you plan to flash your bios do it from a flash stick or from a saved location on your HDD not from a remote dell site. If your connects goes out or fails you will have a unusable computer.[/QUOTE]

Actually that isn’t a worry, the bios isn’t flashed directly over the web, it comes as a download and the only difference between “Saving” it to your computer and running it directly off the web site is that the save location on your HDD is different (either a specific/default location OR temp files)

It goes as a download first then auto-runs after the download completes

If the download fails OR file verification after the download fails NOTHING happens (good bad or indifferent) you just have to download it again.

as for intel drivers… Chipset, graphics or network drivers?

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2540327]Actually that isn’t a worry, the bios isn’t flashed directly over the web, it comes as a download and the only difference between “Saving” it to your computer and running it directly off the web site is that the save location on your HDD is different (either a specific/default location OR temp files)

It goes as a download first then auto-runs after the download completes

If the download fails OR file verification after the download fails NOTHING happens (good bad or indifferent) you just have to download it again.

AD[/QUOTE]

Thanks AD. I always save drivers and bios updates to the desktop and then put them in a folder in case I have to roll back the driver.