BIOS Detecting CD/DVD Drive, but Windows is Not

vbimport

I saw a posting from years ago on here about somebody’s issue with their DVD/CD drive being detected in BIOS, but not being detected on their computer, which is my issue. However, the answers for this issue did not work and I have been trying all day to fix it.

About a month or so ago, I had a friend over and we were watching a DVD on my computer and then in the middle of it, Windows Media Player crashed and since then, I’ve had hardly any luck with getting a game or a movie to play at all. I had Anchorman in my computer for about a week or so and then last week, it decided it was going to play. However, I moved my computer a tiny bit and then it stopped playing again.

I’ve tried doing the whole regedit and deleting the upper and lower filters, but I didn’t have any upper and lower filters. I’ve tried troubleshooters, and hell, I’ve even attempted a system restore.

I know a decent amount about computers, but everything I’ve known to try hasn’t worked and all of the forums I’ve been looking at have failed to help me even in the least. If you are going to help, please respond in a step-by-step manner.

Lastly, I have a Toshiba Satellite L555D-S7909 laptop and Windows 7 is my OS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi and Welcome!

at the time you don’t “see” the drive anymore: Is there anything in device manager?

However, I moved my computer a tiny bit and then it stopped playing again.
This could be an indicator for some hardware issue. Perhaps the drive isn’t connected properly. I would try to reseat the drive, but I don’t know how to do that with your laptop. Perhaps you can find some instructions on irisvista.com

In case your laptop is covered by warranty, I’d contact Toshiba support instead.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2576336] Is there anything in device manager?[/QUOTE]

It does not show up in the device manager. I saw a tutorial on how to “reach” the cd drive so I can remove it (I simply wanted to reconnect the cables, but it requires the same maneuver). After fiddling around with it for about 10 minutes, I couldn’t find anywhere that the drive could connect to, so I put everything back in place. Still, nothing.

So then, I turned it off and opened the hard drive cover and tweaked its position a little bit and turned the computer on and the disc fired right up. I’m trying to install the Sims 2, and so it has 4 discs. Right when I was almost ready to put in the fourth disc, my computer froze and I restarted it. The game fired right up again after installing the drivers and it was viewable in the Device Manager with no issues.

Now, the thing with the Device Manager is that it doesn’t show the CD/DVD drive there (only the virtual drives from Daemon Tools), but I downloaded DevManView, and surprisingly enough, it shows there whether the drive is working or not. So, I don’t think it’s a hardware issue. I’m just stumped on why it’s really wishy-washy now, when it was working perfectly for a little bit last night.

It’s only started up 2 times after that. I’m trying to just get it to work long enough so I can possibly make an ISO out of my discs and install it on my computer. (I apologize for the long post)

This is really odd. :confused:
I am still not convinced there is no hardware problem - for me this looks like a contact problem, since slight movements seem to cause the drive vanishing or appearing again.

But to rule out software issues - could you create an USB stick with a Live Linux system on it (Ubuntu on a 2GB stick should be fine) and try that?

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2576419]This is really odd. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Ooooh, prepare to be even more stumped! Earlier, I changed the virtual drive letters to L and M and then rebooted my computer. The computer lasted long enough for me to finally install the game and I even played it for a while and decided that I was ready to move on to other games so I stopped playing it. A little while later, I decided to play for a little bit again and voila! The CD/DVD drive isn’t working again. I’m going to attempt to reboot again and see if it’s going to magically start again. This is really getting on my last nerve.

Slim drives in laptops usually are connected by a ZIF (Zero insertion force) connector, it does sound like a contact issue.

[QUOTE=RCM;2576432]Slim drives in laptops usually are connected by a ZIF (Zero insertion force) connector, it does sound like a contact issue.[/QUOTE]

Okay, but I’m not sure how I go about fixing this issue? I tried connecting it once already, but I couldn’t get to (or even see) where it is connected

Okay, I’ve decided on this. After not being able to play my game, I downloaded an image file and a crack, which worked initially, but the second time I attempted it, the game crashed. BSOD, just so you know. The error I received was DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

After about 20 minutes of messing around with my computer and doing a system restore, yet again (because this happened twice), I’m assuming there are missing drivers in my disc drive. I tried finding drivers for it, but couldn’t do it. Since this was not a virus issue, I went ahead and decided that I’m going to just order either an external or internal CD drive. It’s not a CD/DVD drive combo, but I think I’m willing to compromise since I have a 60" TV that movies would work better on anyway. This will at least fix my drive error. I’m going to remove my internal hard drive and see what happens…

Other than that, my computer’s been working perfectly fine. I don’t see why any of this would be a hard drive error since my hard drive was just replaced in December and there hasn’t been any extreme changes to my computer since I installed the hard drive. So… that’s it.

I’m going to consider this issue as solved… for now.

[QUOTE=Tthulsee;2576755]Okay, I’ve decided on this. After not being able to play my game, I downloaded an image file and a crack, which worked initially, but the second time I attempted it, the game crashed. BSOD, just so you know. The error I received was DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

After about 20 minutes of messing around with my computer and doing a system restore, yet again (because this happened twice), I’m assuming there are missing drivers in my disc drive. I tried finding drivers for it, but couldn’t do it. Since this was not a virus issue, I went ahead and decided that I’m going to just order either an external or internal CD drive. It’s not a CD/DVD drive combo, but I think I’m willing to compromise since I have a 60" TV that movies would work better on anyway. This will at least fix my drive error. I’m going to remove my internal hard drive and see what happens…

Other than that, my computer’s been working perfectly fine. I don’t see why any of this would be a hard drive error since my hard drive was just replaced in December and there hasn’t been any extreme changes to my computer since I installed the hard drive. So… that’s it.

I’m going to consider this issue as solved… for now.[/QUOTE]

Well, in that case we can’t help you anymore! discussing cracks here is not allowed!

Discussing cracks for ANY reason is not allowed on these forums. And insults to other members are not tolerated, nor is foul language.

This thread is closed and Tthulsee has left the building.

I deleted two messages. One of them contained foul language and the other contained a quote of it.