Binflash not recognising my NEC burner!... Please help!

vbimport

Hi everyone…

I recently purchased a NEC ND 6650A USB drive, and to change the booktype I need to use the right patch via Binflash, but the program doesn’t want to recognise the drive!..:sad:

Once I can get the patch onto the fimware I can burn my DVD+R and DVD+R DL discs to DVD-ROM booktype, but getting that far has had me stonewalled!..:frowning:

I’ve tried DVDInfoPro and DVD Bitsetter, but I’m not having any luck there…

Please advise me on how to solve this problem!..:confused:

Looks like the USB enclosure prevent Binflash from properly communicating with your drive. You probably have to operate your drive without the USB enclosure for the firmware update process

[QUOTE=Liggy;2758256]Looks like the USB enclosure prevent Binflash from properly communicating with your drive. You probably have to operate your drive without the USB enclosure for the firmware update process[/QUOTE]

Do you mean instead of the power lead from the burner drive being plugged into the laptops USB port I should instead plug into the mains socket and plug the data transference lead into the laptops most reliable USB port?..:confused:

External drives are (with very few exceptions) internal drives fitted in an enclosure, with a bridge chip to convert the native IDE or SATA interface of the drive to USB. These bridge chips can interfere with certain operations, such as bitsetting. Others are fine, it all depends on the combination of bridge chip & drive.

If this is the case, the only solution is what [B]Liggy[/B] suggested - removing the drive from its enclosure and connecting it directly to a computer via IDE or SATA (or chancing your luck with a different USB bridge). Unfortunately with laptops this may be very difficult or impossible.

Another possibility is that software on the computer is interfering with the process. Anything which intercepts commands going to drives, such as DVD/Blu-Ray decryption software running in the background (such as AnyDVD, DVDFab Passkey), can cause problems.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2758268]External drives are (with very few exceptions) internal drives fitted in an enclosure, with a bridge chip to convert the native IDE or SATA interface of the drive to USB. These bridge chips can interfere with certain operations, such as bitsetting. Others are fine, it all depends on the combination of bridge chip & drive.

If this is the case, the only solution is what [B]Liggy[/B] suggested - removing the drive from its enclosure and connecting it directly to a computer via IDE or SATA (or chancing your luck with a different USB bridge). Unfortunately with laptops this may be very difficult or impossible.

Another possibility is that software on the computer is interfering with the process. Anything which intercepts commands going to drives, such as DVD/Blu-Ray decryption software running in the background (such as AnyDVD, DVDFab Passkey), can cause problems.[/QUOTE]

Ok, so how could I do this procedure (bearing in mind I’m no computer expert) as to get this to work with Binflash?..:confused:

Otherwise I may need someone to prepatch a drive and then I buy it off them…

Why is this becoming a real pain in the bottom!..:frowning:

I’ve just downloaded Nero CD-DVD Speed and DVD Info Pro and run checks with these programs on both blank DVD+R and blank DVD+R DL discs, and I checked them via my internal burner, a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L and found the booktype set for both discs was for DVD-ROM!..

I wasn’t aware that this burner had both reading and writing capability for these discs (which is why I bought the NEC burner), and I haven’t yet burned a DVD with this burner as yet, but I hope I’m on the right track!..

All I want is for my lovingly prepared DVD’s to work in my standalone player, I’m not asking for the oceans to part!!!..

You said the booktype showed DVD-ROM on BLANK discs, before you burned them? When testing whether a drive booktypes (without being able to set the option yourself), you have to burn the disc first, then checked that newly written disc after the fact.

And yep, most every drive from the past 9 years will do all the DVD±R/±RW/±R DL. What made you think the LG (HL DT ST is LG) wouldn’t burn but the NEC would? Did someone tell you otherwise?

[QUOTE=Albert;2758327]You said the booktype showed DVD-ROM on BLANK discs, before you burned them? When testing whether a drive booktypes (without being able to set the option yourself), you have to burn the disc first, then checked that newly written disc after the fact.

And yep, most every drive from the past 9 years will do all the DVD±R/±RW/±R DL. What made you think the LG (HL DT ST is LG) wouldn’t burn but the NEC would? Did someone tell you otherwise?[/QUOTE]

Well, I’ve just used my HL DT ST burner and have burned a DVD+R DL via DVDStyler and my standalone DVD player plays it!..:clap:

I read that a lot of burners are programmed to booktype double layer discs to DVD-ROM whilst burning, and that seems to be the case here…

I’ll attempt to do it again with a DVD+R, but if that’s unsuccessful, then I’ll have to stick to burning with double layer discs…

I didn’t check the capability of my HL DT ST burner until recently, so I wasn’t aware of its full capability until I checked it using Nero CD-DVD Speed…

Ah. Yep, last 9 years gives you a good chance of having a technically capable drive. Now, whether all drives get the same quality is debatable. :wink:

But good luck with the DVD+R. You should have success. :slight_smile: