Binflash - NEC/Optiarc firmware flasher and dumper

vbimport

Hi Albert:

I used the version 1,01 below with bt, auto and riplock firmware. Rebooted etc. Reset region code to 5 from 1 (where my changes had run out).

Attached is an image file which shows three different values for the current region code. In the main properties screen, still shows location 1. In the DVD Region tab it says Region 5 and 4 changes left.
In Liggy’s binflash utility it says region is not set (inset image).

Also, DVD from region 5 inserted into the drive is not auto-detected or shown in the computer and still cannot be played in VLC player.

Region 1 DVDs continue to be detected by comp and played in VLC.

Anything I did wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

Joe.

[QUOTE=Albert;2728662]Looking at the different strategy versions ( http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7710H/ -> “Overview on the strategies used”), there doesn’t appear to be much difference, so using 1.01 is probably just fine.
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=joemanjo;2728675]Hi Albert:

I used the version 1,01 below with bt, auto and riplock firmware. Rebooted etc. Reset region code to 5 from 1 (where my changes had run out).

Attached is an image file which shows three different values for the current region code. In the main properties screen,[B] still shows location 1[/B]. In the DVD Region tab it says Region 5 and 4 changes left.
In Liggy’s binflash utility it says region is not set (inset image).

Also, DVD from region 5 inserted into the drive is not auto-detected or shown in the computer and still cannot be played in VLC player.

Region 1 DVDs continue to be detected by comp and played in VLC.

Anything I did wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

Joe.[/QUOTE]

If it’s the “Location: 1” I see in your screenshot, that has to do with how the drive is physically/electrically connected in the computer, and is irrelevant.

As for the rest…

If you actually try to set it to something else then to Region 5, does it save the changes until reboot or until you insert a new disc? Does the change counter go down? What happens if you try to change the region code after inserting your desired disc, instead of before?

[QUOTE=joemanjo;2728674]It is 825Kb and exceeds the forum limit.[/QUOTE]

I would say upload to a site like ZippyShare ( http://www.zippyshare.com ), and then you can share the link.

[QUOTE=Albert;2728710]
If you actually try to set it to something else then to Region 5, does it save the changes until reboot or until you insert a new disc? Does the change counter go down? What happens if you try to change the region code after inserting your desired disc, instead of before?[/QUOTE]

Stayed awake hoping to catch you get in. My drive had no region set when I checked up on reboot. After seeing your post, I set the region to 5 using Drive Properties, confirmed the save on the prompt. Ran binflash-gui and it shows no region set. Drive properties has 4 as the changes left counter, Liggy’s screen still shows user changes left as 5. Took the screenshots attached below.

Funny thing is as long as I dont use Liggy’s software to check what it says, the region change to 5 is retained. I opened, closed the drive, tried playing a DVD, browsed other drive etc, the change was retained. As soon as I used binflash-gui to see what the region screen says and come back and check the DVD properties window, the region comes as not selected. The screenshot is attached for the second as well.

What could be the issue?

Thanks,
Joe.

[QUOTE=Albert;2728711]I would say upload to a site like ZippyShare ( http://www.zippyshare.com ), and then you can share the link.[/QUOTE]

Here is the link to Optiarc AD-7710H version A833 original firmware.

[QUOTE=joemanjo;2728715]Stayed awake hoping to catch you get in. My drive had no region set when I checked up on reboot. After seeing your post, I set the region to 5 using Drive Properties, confirmed the save on the prompt. Ran binflash-gui and it shows no region set. Drive properties has 4 as the changes left counter, Liggy’s screen still shows user changes left as 5. Took the screenshots attached below.

Funny thing is as long as I dont use Liggy’s software to check what it says, the region change to 5 is retained. I opened, closed the drive, tried playing a DVD, browsed other drive etc, the change was retained. As soon as I used binflash-gui to see what the region screen says and come back and check the DVD properties window, the region comes as not selected. The screenshot is attached for the second as well.

What could be the issue?

Thanks,
Joe.[/QUOTE]

Hrmph.

So, to summarize: you tried the RPC1 firmware, something didn’t like that; I suggested the auto-reset RPC2 firmware, and it works equally as well. :doh:

1 more test: revert to the original A833 firmware and see if the drive functions normally.

Hi Albert: Drive seems fine.

Region Control: RPC2
Current Region: 1
User Changes left: 0
Vendor Changes Left: 4

Back to square one. Shall I try to reset/Global Reset?

Before that, let me try with the non-GUI x64 binflash and see if there is any change. Will report “progress” :bigsmile:

Thank you,
Joe.

[QUOTE=Albert;2728903]
1 more test: revert to the original A833 firmware and see if the drive functions normally.[/QUOTE]

Sure, see if you can just reset with Binflash. It might not be as convenient as the auto-reset stuff, but if the tool works, then…no sense in trying the other ways (unless you just like to figure out a problem. :bigsmile:).

If resetting with the tool still doesn’t work, then there’s a weird quirk somewhere, and I’d suggest saving up for a software tool like AnyDVD which can circumvent region protection in most cases.

Resetting didnt work. Screen shots attached. Shows Region 5. Does not play Region 5 DVDs.

Is there a way to change the region other than thru Windows screen of Drive properties? The Region reset window has the “New Region” field in Grey where as the field should be in White if there are enough “Changes Remaining” (that is how another laptop behaves). So I suspect something in the Win Registry has not been reset. Would this have prevented the window from doing its work?

At the moment, Region 1 and Region 5 DVDs both do not work in the drive. I wonder if I am stuck with a brick. Any ideas Albert? Any way to contact Liggy and get advice on the issue?

Thanks,
Joe.

There might be something in the OS to prevent it from working, but that should not be an issue as long as the drive is RPC2.

For now, don’t do anything with Binflash open; go based on what the OS says. That way, there is no possible way for Binflash to cause the quirk you saw in an earlier post, in case it may be somehow interfering with the process or with what Windows is reporting.

Before I give up entirely, can you give me one more screenshot of the current state (the window above without Binflash running), as well as: change to region 1 and commit the changes by selecting “OK”, reboot, and give me one more screenshot to show that the change SHOULD HAVE taken place?

For what it’s worth, under my own Windows 7 installation, the window looks exactly the way it does in your screenshots if I select a legacy Windows theme.

Hi Albert: I did not have binflash and the Drive Properties window up and running at the same time. I printed the screen twice and used Paint to superimpose and crop the image lest the image size limit is exceeded in this forum. Thanks, Joe.

[QUOTE=Albert;2729091]There might be something in the OS to prevent it from working, but that should not be an issue as long as the drive is RPC2.

For now, don’t do anything with Binflash open; go based on what the OS says. That way, there is no possible way for Binflash to cause the quirk you saw in an earlier post, in case it may be somehow interfering with the process or with what Windows is reporting.

Before I give up entirely, can you give me one more screenshot of the current state (the window above without Binflash running), as well as: change to region 1 and commit the changes by selecting “OK”, reboot, and give me one more screenshot to show that the change SHOULD HAVE taken place?

For what it’s worth, under my own Windows 7 installation, the window looks exactly the way it does in your screenshots if I select a legacy Windows theme.[/QUOTE]

Getting the error screen attached below. I did insert a Region 1 media. Not able to change the drive region.

Current state.

There was no prompt for Reboot after changing the drive region. I did it using Change Settings running as Admin. Right now there is an error when I try to change to Region 5 - error window given in earlier message.

Joe.

binutils is broken with current kernels. And since there is no source code available, it is impossible to get it fixed. Please fix the problem, whatever it is.

./necflash -scan

Binflash - NEC version - © by Liggy and Herrie
Visit http://binflash.cdfreaks.com

List of supported devices:

Device : /dev/sg1
Vendor : _NEC
Model : DVD_RW ND-3540A
Firmware : 1.01

./necflash -flash -s /dev/sg1 104_orig.bin

// sgioOpen.ioctl: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Error opening SCSI device

-dump option works to fetch current firmware.
-flash option does not work.

This is with Linux 3.2.51-1 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I just tested with Debian Testing (Jessie) and dumping worked fine here. The kernel was even more recent than yours:

{username}@Jessie:~$ uname -a
Linux Jessie 3.14-2-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.14.15-2 (2014-08-09) i686 GNU/Linux
{username}@Jessie:~$ ./necflash -dump -s dump.out /dev/sg0
Binflash - NEC version - (C) by Liggy and Herrie

{username}@Jessie:~$

I replaced username with a placeholder but it was a regular (unprivileged) user not root, my drive also was a NEC ND-3540A.

What distribution did you use? Was SELinix activated?

[EDIT]Didn’t read properly. Will try flashing now[/EDIT]

Had to switch my main PC to Linux as there’s an issue with dumping/flashing under VMWare that I used before. Here’s my output from Debian Wheezy with backports kernel:

liggy@pc1:~$ uname -a
Linux pc1 3.14-0.bpo.2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.14.13-2~bpo70+1 (2014-07-31) x86_64 GNU/Linux
liggy@pc1:~$ ./necflash -scan

Device   : /dev/sg3
Vendor   : _NEC    
Model    : DVD_RW ND-3540A 
Firmware : 1.04

Device   : /dev/sg5
Vendor   : Optiarc 
Model    : DVD RW AD-7201S 
Firmware : 1.09
liggy@pc1:~$ ./necflash -dump -s 3540.dump /dev/sg3

liggy@pc1:~$ ./necflash -flash -s 3540.dump /dev/sg3

You are about to flash your drive with the following firmware:

Vendor: _NEC    
Identification: DVD_RW ND-3540A 
Version: 1.04

Remember no one can be held responsible for any kind of failure!
Are you sure you want to proceed? (y/n) y

liggy@pc1:~$ 

[QUOTE=Liggy;2739713]
{username}@Jessie:~$

I replaced username with a placeholder but it was a regular (unprivileged) user not root, my drive also was a NEC ND-3540A.

What distribution did you use? Was SELinix activated?

[EDIT]Didn't read properly. Will try flashing now[/EDIT][/QUOTE]

Indeed. I do use Debian. This was from current Debian stable. The problem has to do with flashing. Reading firmware seems to work just fine.

SELinux is not enabled.

# selinuxenabled 
# echo $?

Aha! I think I found an issue. If you look at my original post,

./necflash -flash -s /dev/sg1 104_orig.bin

The device and firmware are reversed! Opps! Sorry for the noise. All seems to work now.

Hello,

Can we force firmware write on the Plextor PX-800A Drive ?

necflash.exe -scan -v

Trying to query device 2.0.0
device KHAV     2NK56Z85AF8      1.04 unsupported
Trying to query device \\.\E:

Device   : E:
Vendor   : Optiarc
Model    : DVD RW AD-7173A
Firmware : 1-04

necflash.exe -identify -s -v \.\E: PX-800A.txt

--- Start of identification ---
Version: 1.63
Normal : Optiarc  - DVD RW AD-7173A  - 1-04
Boot   : Optiarc  - DVD RW AD-7173A  - 0000
|Sony NEC Optiarc Inc            AD-7170A        |
4B34383044373733302E3036XXXXXXXX8100XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX81006204
10E6C4644A02B51F60CE5200003678F10904F864E4BECD414144DCB8B5
--- End of identification ---

Optiarc AD-7173A Firmware Writing:
necflash.exe -flash -v -s 104bt_rpc1.bin \.\E:

Identified drive: 29 - FFFF
Detected drive from Firmware: 30 - 3036

Firmware is for a different drive

Optiarc AD-7170A Firmware Writing:
necflash.exe -flash -v -s 105bt_rpc1.bin \.\E:

Identified drive: 29 - FFFF
Detected drive from Firmware: 29 - 3036

The firmware file expects a different bootcode on your drive. You are not allowe
d to continue.
Drive: 0xFFFF - File: 0x3036.Firmware is for a different drive

Thanks you in advanced.

You have to change bootcode drive compatible with the Plextor PX-800A \ Optiarc AD-7170 for Mac.

info @crazycats

Plextor PX-800A and OPTIARC AD-7170A for Mac (firmware version like 1.Nx) havesome updated bootcode (version 0.08). This bootcode support flashing with activeUDMA-mode (classic bootcode version 0.06 have bug, which prevent flashing inUDMA-mode and you must switch to PIO-mode while flashing). But new bootcoderequire compatible firmware (Plextor PX-800A or OPTIARC AD-7170A 1.Nx).‘Classic’ Optiarc AD-x17xA firmwares not compatible with updated bootcode.Official firmware updates always check bootcode version and prevent flashingincompatible firmware. BinFlash 1.41 and newer also check bootcode version iffirmware file provide extra info about required bootcode version and showwarning info. Currently allows to continue even if drive bootcode does not match.This behaviour may change in later versions.You can cross-flash your drive with new bootcode ([I][COLOR=teal]btflash-x17xAp.zip[/COLOR][/I]) and use withcompatible firmware - for example convert your Optiarc AD-x17xA to Plextor Px-800A.If you want cross-flash your Plextor Px-800A to some ‘classic’ Optiarc AD-x17xA you mustflash your drive with Mac OPTIARC AS-7170A firmware (1.Nx) and then use btflashm.exewith old bootcode ([I][COLOR=teal]btflash-x17xA.zip[/COLOR][/I]).
http://crazycat69.narod.ru/nec-dvdrw/newboot-x17xA.htm