Binflash - NEC/Optiarc firmware flasher and dumper

vbimport

Cannot say for sure if 3APE will work on your drive, chances should not be too bad.

However 3APH seems to be the more recent version, so it might be better to use 3APH.

Thanks for the reply, Liggy. I didn’t see a 3APH firmware replacement on your firmware and tools page, so I’ll hold out a little longer and continue to use the stock 3APH firmware. As it’s my father’s computer, I’ll not take the chance I would if it were my own.

There is no 3APH firmware on my page because nobody provided this version to me hint

Hi, I’ve loaded Binware Win 32 commandline version and was able to dump the old firmware file easily. nexflash - scan gave ID as D:. I downloaded a revised firmware file 1z2.7z from the site and when I tried to flash it (necflash -flash 1z2.7z D:) I got the message above. I assumed it should be a .bin filename so renamed it 1z2.7z.bin but had the same message. Where am I going wrong. Apologies for being a silly old fart.

Hi, in my last reply the d: ) came out as d:), sorry

The file 1z2.7z is an archive (similar to zip) containing multiple files. You need to extract this first and then flash one of the included firmwares

Told you I was a silly old fart. Just to let you know that your site and software enabled my disabled son to carry on playing PC games that I could not get to play in the Australian zone anymore. What you do has many positive applications and is much appreciated. Cheers Grant

I wasn’t sure if this was the correct place to post this question, but since I will be using Binflash to change the booktype for my Sony Optiarc drives, I thought it best to post it in here:

Specifically for DVD+RW media, which is the best booktype to use with it? Use DVD-ROM, or should I use the default DVD+RW?

I have never used RW media before, and I remember reading many years ago something on this forum about if you set DVD+RW media to the booktype of DVD-ROM, it may help standalone DVD players that are older to read your discs better, but that it can cause issues when going to re-record or burn data again to the disc.

I believe there were some problems with recording software not recognizing that the disc type was re-writable because it was booktyped to DVD-ROM?

Any information from users of DVD+RW media is greatly appreciated. Can you tell me for Sony-Optiarc drives if the booktype must be set BEFORE recording (or can it also be done AFTER the recording)?

And, are there any problems with using the DVD-ROM booktype with DVD+RW media? Is better to not change the booktype for DVD+RW discs and leave them as their default DVD+RW type? Thank you very much for any assistance on these questions.

If you need to use the disc in a drive that absolutely positively will not read the disc unless it has booktype DVD-ROM, then use DVD-ROM.

In any other case I recommend you stay with booktype DVD+RW.

@DrageMester

Thank you very much for your reply.

I was wondering are there any downfalls to using a book type of DVD-ROM with DVD+RW discs?

Will doing so make software not work correctly then with the disc? If so, do you know if it is only certain software packages that are affected?

Also, do I have to booktype the DVD+RW disc each time AFTER formatting/erasing them? Does formatting or erasing them also erase the book type?

I apologize for so many questions. It’s just that I have never used re-writable media before and I wasn’t sure what to expect with them. I tried searching in the forum for threads on these topics, but was still a bit confused by it all. Thank you for any further assistance you can offer me.

[QUOTE=socrates007;2665570]I was wondering are there any downfalls to using a book type of DVD-ROM with DVD+RW discs?

Will doing so make software not work correctly then with the disc? If so, do you know if it is only certain software packages that are affected?[/QUOTE] Some software and/or drives will work with DVD+RW media in some scenarios and then suddenly bite you in the a**.

There is no advantage to using DVD-ROM booktype if your drive(s) can read DVD+RW media with booktype DVD+RW, but there are some gotchas where you suddenly won’t be able to erase a disc or add data.

So the only scenario where you should use booktype DVD-ROM for DVD+RW media, is if your drive refuses to read the disc otherwise.

(DVD+R media with booktype DVD-ROM is another matter entirely)

I’m not going to try and remember exactly when your DVD+RW media with booktype DVD-ROM will sneak up on you and stab you in the back; if you need to know, then experiment yourself.

I’m just gonna repeat: Don’t do it unless you have to!

Also, do I have to booktype the DVD+RW disc each time AFTER formatting/erasing them? Does formatting or erasing them also erase the book type?
This depends on hardware, firmware and burning software. In general most drives will set booktype during burning to whatever is the default in the program, but for some drives you can change booktype without touching the data on the disc, if you use the right tool.

BTW I think we’re off the topic of this thread.

@DrageMester

Thanks again. I will heed your advice and try not using DVD-ROM book type. I appreciate your advice and input.

Binflash v1.62 does not support to dump firmware from my iHAS124 W.

--- Start of identification ---
Version: 1.62
Normal : ATAPI    - iHAS124   W      - HL03
Boot   : ATAPI    - iHAS124   W      - 0001
|PLDS CORPORATION                iHAS124         |
4733323547333235302E3038XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX7EFF0000
00000000000000000000000000000200000000000000000000000000A1XXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
--- End of identification ---

[QUOTE=2601;2677707]Binflash v1.62 does not support to dump firmware from my iHAS124 W.[/QUOTE]
Looking at that data, I wonder if LiteOn have acquired people/hardware/equipment from Optiarc.

According to the identification data, this drive seems to be a successor of the latest AD-7280S revision - according to the old naming scheme this would be something like an AD-7320S (latest revision would have been AD-7300S)

I will get back to you with a Binflash version that should allow dumping the firmware. Before implementing a flash routine I will first have to do a couple of checks if the commands are still the same.

Thanks Liggy.

Got the firmware and already took a very quick first peek. Thanks to 2601 for the file.

The chipset seems to have an internal name with “Helios H9V”, so it might be a successor of the SCOMBO chipsets. While the checks for region code and riplock still seem to be the same, I couldn’t locate any of the NEC/Optiarc bitsetting routines - so they might have used the LiteOn commands now and we probably don’t need bitsetting patches any longer. I still need to verify if I can safely assume that flashing commands are still the same before releasing the next Binflash version.

Bootcode is from Dec. 05, 2012 - Found a main firmware date Dec. 14th, 2012. Either checksum algorithm has changed or I made a mistake in my checksum tool

Looking forward to seeing first burning results

Binflash v1.62 GUI does not work on Windows 2000 SP4. It just says that “Error executing program”. Witch is the latest version that do and where to download it?

[QUOTE=trodas;2678609]Binflash v1.62 GUI does not work on Windows 2000 SP4. It just says that “Error executing program”. Witch is the latest version that do and where to download it?[/QUOTE]You can try this link for downloading a Binflash 1.61 version that should be compatible with W2K.

You are aware that your OS is out of support for quite a while and probably has many security holes?

Hi there, I’m using the ‘Optiarc DVD±RW AD-7200S ATA’ drive and looking at Liggy’s and Dee’s Optiarc Firmwares page. Could someone help, which is the latest firmware out for the AD-7200S drive that I have? Cheers.

http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7200A/

What is the difference between 1.09 and 1.J1? There are also other versions 1.0B, 1.0A and 1.D3.

I currently have it flashed with ‘AD-7200S Firmware 1.09’ but after seeing so many different versions for ‘AD-7200S’ I’m confused as which is the newest firmware out.

I’m trying to flash an AD-7261S running firmware 1.03 to 1.Z5. I picked up the firmware from here:

http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7260S/

When trying to flash I get this message:

The firmware file expects a different boot code on your drive.  You are not
allowed to continue.   Drive: 0x3032 - File:0x3232.

Is there a way I can flash this AD-7261S to 1.Z5?