Binflash - NEC/Optiarc firmware flasher and dumper

vbimport

[QUOTE=tinnylfc;2628669]But to be clear, the terminal command I’ll use is the following:
/Users/cturgeon/Downloads/necflash -flash -v /Users/cturgeon/Downloads/3ape_rpc1.bin A:[/QUOTE]
According to your MD5 checksum it should be /Users/cturgeon/Downloads/3ape/3ape_rpc1.bin

But perhaps it’s a good idea to treat missing files differently to broken files in the next version :iagree:

[QUOTE=Liggy;2628673]According to your MD5 checksum it should be /Users/cturgeon/Downloads/3ape/3ape_rpc1.bin

But perhaps it’s a good idea to treat missing files differently to broken files in the next version :iagree:[/QUOTE]
Sorry for the confusion regarding the location of the “3ape_rpc1.bin” file. This is the whole story:

1. On my Mac, I downloaded and unpacked the Binflash program and the firmware patch files.
  1. I then e-mailed the Binflash program and the firmware patch files to my friend.

2. The Binflash program and the firmware patch files were saved to her “Downloads” folder, not to her “Downloads/3ape” folder.

3. Next the scanning, dumping and flashing process via the terminal:
    /Users/cturgeon/Downloads/necflash -scan (succeeded)
    /Users/cturgeon/Downloads/necflash -dump -v oldFirmware.bin A: (succeeded)
    /Users/cturgeon/Downloads/necflash -flash -v 3ape_rpc1.bin A: (failed - error message: “Supplied file does not contain a valid firmware”)

4. At this point, my thought was that sending the files to her as opposed to unpacking them on her machine was the cause of the problem. So, on her Mac, I downloaded and unpacked the firmware patch files. I moved the “3ape_rpc1.bin” file to her “Downloads” folder, and then tried to flash again, but got the same error message.

5. As per your suggestion, I then did the MD5 checksum on the “3ape_rpc1.bin” file on MY machine; the file is saved in my “Downloads/3ape” folder.

So, unless I’m missing something, since my friend’s version of the “3ape_rpc1.bin” file is saved in her “Downloads” folder, not her “Downloads/3ape” folder, then the following terminal command should be what I go with:
/Users/cturgeon/Downloads/necflash -flash -v /Users/cturgeon/Downloads/3ape_rpc1.bin A:

My friend is still out, but when she’s back, I’ll do an MD5 checksum on the file on her machine. If it checks out, then I’ll attempt to flash. Will let you know how things go…

My friend went AWOL for a day!

Anyways, long story short, specifying the correct path for the “3ape_rpc1.bin” firmware patch did the job. You sir/madam are a genius! :bow:

Thanks much for your time and effort in putting all of this together, and for your prompt, helpful responses!
:slight_smile:

Hello! I am new here. I want to flash my Optiarc AD-7283S, so it will be region free and i have made a dump of the firmware here:

Hello all together

beiing a newbie in flashing drives, I have encountered some problems with my Optiarc 5690 in my iMac.
I have been able to download the patched firmware from Liggys homepage, but whenever I try to patch the drive, either on Mac OS or windows I get the message: this is not a valid file
The file reads 4ah5.7z. I know it should end on .bin but whenever I try to download the file, it has the same name. What am I doing wrong?
Any help appreciated

The “4ah5.7z” file is a compressed file. You need to unpack it.

The “The Unarchiver” application will do the job nicely (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/22774/the-unarchiver).

Download and install the “The Unarchiver” application.

Now, double-click the “4ah5.7z” file.

You should end up with a folder containing 6 files:
4ah5_auto.bin
4ah5_fast.bin
4ah5_orig.bin
4ah5_rpc1.bin
Liggy’s and Dee’s Website.url
readme.txt

All you need to do now is point your terminal command to the “4ah5_rpc1.bin” patch file.

Make sure you specify the full and correct path in your terminal command!

Yup, I’ve been able to extract it now, thanks a lot

Binflash version 1.62 is out which adds support for AD-7740H and AD-7743H drives.

This version should also add support for some more new slimline drives but this is completely untested yet.

An hour back i bought OEM Sony AD-7280S.
Bootcode: SONY DVD RW AD-7280S 1.60 Sep26,2011
http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/357605/Sony-Ad-72280S-firmware-zip.html
I used Binflash and took the flash dump.

I crossflashed this with liggy’s firmware v1.20 for the Optiarc AD-7280S. It worked same as before.

Thanks for all the tips on this forum. I am trying to flash an Optiarc-AD-5970H drive in a macbook pro running osx lion, but have run into a problem at the final stage.

I’ve tried these steps so far:

1. Downloaded ‘the unarchiver’ application at http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/22774/the-unarchiver/

2. Downloaded the latest OSX version of binflash at http://binflash.cdfreaks.com/#download

3. Downloaded the firmware file at http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-5970H/

4. Extracted the firmware files and dragged the 3ape_rcp1.bin file to the downloads folder.

5. In terminal typed: /Users/w2/Downloads/necflash -scan

Binflash - NEC version - © by Liggy and Herrie
Visit http://binflash.cdfreaks.com

List of supported devices:

Device : A:
Vendor : OPTIARC
Model : DVD RW AD-5970H
Firmware : 3APE

1. In terminal typed: /Users/w2/Downloads/necflash -dump -v oldFirmware.bin A:

DISCLAIMER

Do you understand and agree to the statement above (y/n)? y

Dumping firmware
Entering safe mode
Reading FLASH at 0x030000 in bank 0

Reading FLASH at 0x1df000 in bank 0
Leaving safe mode

1. In terminal typed: /Users/w2/Downloads/necflash -flash -v 3ape_rpc1.bin A:

DISCLAIMER

Do you understand and agree to the statement above (y/n)? y

Error opening firmware file

1. I’ve checked the md5 of the firmware file which gave:

md5 /Users/w2/Downloads/3ape_rpc1.bin
MD5 (/Users/w2/Downloads/3ape_rpc1.bin) = 8bb606379dac515b7483122cacdbccfa

I am stumped and I would be very grateful for any suggestions. Many thanks in advance for your help!

[QUOTE=will19792;2642146]I am stumped and I would be very grateful for any suggestions. Many thanks in advance for your help![/QUOTE]
I think that the firmware you’re trying to flash is not in your current directory. I checked the md5 sum and it is the correct one. Try providing the full path to the firmware file:
/Users/w2/Downloads/necflash -flash -v /Users/w2/Downloads/3ape_rpc1.bin A:

Liggy - thank you - that fixed it! Both the software and the advice on this forum are a great resource.

nice job! but it doesnt support Optiarc AD-7585H

[QUOTE=chan321;2645303]nice job! but it doesnt support Optiarc AD-7585H[/QUOTE]
The AD-7585H is a QSI rebadge and these drives are generally not supported by Binflash.

it possible to get source of this tool, linux part or just part that work with device (read, write code)?

Sorry, the code for Binflash will not be published.

For communication with the drive, I’m using fPLSCSI which you can find here.

it’s sad
what u reason to keep code in hide?
i just need to know adresses for read write firmware’s

With some small modifications it would easily be possible to damage drives and I want to prevent this.
The source code archive also contains routines for changing the drive’s bootcode. This is a functionality I cannot publish.

If you tell me what you like to know, perhaps I can still help you. While Binflash is closed source, I gave access to the source code to a couple of people who supported me in improving the program.

What adresses are you talking about anyway? It’s not just that simple to send a command to the drive to read or write certain addresses. Certain steps are required to achieve dumping and flashing a drive’s firmware - and the sequence of commands has changed multiple times since they released the first drive.

i try to find some way to use old DVD drivers with broken mechanical part as just microcontroller based inteface to pc, so there some NECs based on MC-10041 an LiteOns based on mt1899, i think this crap is not contain any commercial interest anymore
any help will be appreciated
thanks for the reply anyway

I am using a new 13" MacBook Pro with an Optiarc AD-5970H, firmware 3APH. Is it possible to flash this with the 3APE available on the modified firmware pages, or will I need to wait for an update to come out that brings the replacement firmware up to 3APH? Thanks for everything. First time poster, but I’ve benefited from all the hard work in the past. All the best.