Binflash - NEC/Optiarc firmware flasher and dumper

vbimport

If anyone ever figures out, why fPLSCSI does not work properly on OS X 10.7 and knows how to fix this, I will for sure add this fix to Binflash.

But without access to a physical Mac I probably cannot even debug this code properly.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2622315]But without access to a physical Mac I probably cannot even debug this code properly[/QUOTE]
I would gladly provide access to my Mac to solve this issue, but unfortunately I do not have any free plane ticket to France :cool:
More seriously, somebody on the Macintosh Specific Section offorum.rpc1.org may volunteer to help you fixing the Mac version of Binflash, since I am sure plenty of them used MCSE at one time or another and would like it to continue to work.

[QUOTE=geeji;2622317]I would gladly provide access to my Mac to solve this issue, but unfortunately I do not have any free plane ticket to France :cool:[/QUOTE]
What would you want to do in France? I don’t even know anyone who lives there.
I might still be able to do some debugging with my equipment, but since fPLSCSI is not my own code, I’m not sure if I could find what’s generally wrong at all.

More seriously, somebody on the Macintosh Specific Section offorum.rpc1.org may volunteer to help you fixing the Mac version of Binflash, since I am sure plenty of them used MCSE at one time or another and would like it to continue to work.

Since this problem does not only affect Binflash but also some other tools that are discussed on rpc1.org, I guess so far nobody could come up with a solution.

I just purchased the AD-7260S (over the AD-7280S) - what would be the best options for firmware, considering I have been having issues with the MBI DL discs (and the 7260S was recommended).

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Sorry if this looks like a Hi-Jack but somewwhere Liggy asked for a dump of the Optiars 5280S firmware; well here it is.
No it isn’t the .bin extension isn’t allowed and at 1.69MB it’s too large.
Any help in getting this to Liggy appreciated

Then what extension IS it? What did you use to dump it? I have a 7280S and could dump it if necessary.

Just got it, so I don’t know all the details on it yet.

[QUOTE=illogical;2625890]Sorry if this looks like a Hi-Jack but somewwhere Liggy asked for a dump of the Optiars 5280S firmware; well here it is.
No it isn’t the .bin extension isn’t allowed and at 1.69MB it’s too large.
Any help in getting this to Liggy appreciated[/QUOTE]

You can always upload the file to a free host such as mediafire.com (no registration required) and then post the link in here …

Thanks for that here’s the link. I may have changed the extension to try to bypass the forum, but I’m certain liggy will know what to do with it.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/q7687958kcamyc0/Optiars 5280S Firmware.rar

Successfully downloaded the file. By the way: The name is Optiarc not Optiars :wink:

My dump Optiarc 5280s http://www.mediafire.com/?1d8o9bdpyvsy3s0 .

7280s???

[QUOTE=yoyoska;2626720]7280s???[/QUOTE]
Both drives use the same hardware so probably everything comes from the same manufacturing line and it could be that they label 7280S on every drive - regardless of what firmware they actually apply.

Is there any way to get this to dump/flash a ad-7560S? The program seems great, just won’t detect the drive I have.

Sorry but the AD-7560S is a QSI rebadge which will not be supported by Binflash.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2628093]Sorry but the AD-7560S is a QSI rebadge which will not be supported by Binflash.[/QUOTE]

Hi Liggy

My friend is running Lion 10.7.3. Using the latest version of Binflash (1.61), I tried to help her flash her DVD drive:
OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5970H:
Firmware Revision: 3APE

Scanning gave me device ID as “A:”. Great.
Dumping also proceeded without a hitch.
Flashing the “3ape_rpc1.bin” patch, however, gave me the following error message:

Identified drive: 149 - 3032
Detected drive from Firmware: -1
Supplied file does not contain a valid firmware

FYI, these were the terminal commnads I used:
/Users/cturgeon/Downloads/necflash -scan
/Users/cturgeon/Downloads/necflash -dump -v oldFirmware.bin A:
/Users/cturgeon/Downloads/necflash -flash -v 3ape_rpc1.bin A:

And all the patch files were saved in her Downloads folder.

It appears, the problem may lie with “3ape_rpc1.bin” patch file.

Any help on this, or alternative solutions, would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Tinny

[QUOTE=tinnylfc;2628633]It appears, the problem may lie with “3ape_rpc1.bin” patch file.[/QUOTE]
It definitely does. Looks like something went wrong when you extracted the archive or even when you downloaded the file. The bin files needs to be 1,769,480 Bytes, the MD5 sum of this file would be 8bb606379dac515b7483122cacdbccfa. You should be able to generate this checksum with running “md5 3ape_rpc1.bin” or “md5sum 3ape_rpc1.bin” if Apple provides an md5 executable.

You should try re-downloading and extracting the file again.

I think the patch file is okay. I just did the checksum and it matched the sum you supplied:

Tin-Yau-Tsang-MBP15:~ ttsang$ openssl md5 ~/Downloads/3ape/3ape_rpc1.bin
MD5(/Users/ttsang/Downloads/3ape/3ape_rpc1.bin)= 8bb606379dac515b7483122cacdbccfa

I also checked the size of the file, which again matches your supplied value:

I just checked and Binflash can actually process that file. But what I notice is that you did the md5 checksum with file ~/Downloads/3ape/3ape_rpc1.bin while you just used 3ape_rpc1.bin when you called Binflash. Please try again, this time using the complete path ~/Downloads/3ape/3ape_rpc1.bin instead of only the filename.

Thanks for the speedy responses!

I’m using Team Viewer with my friend. However, she’s not in at the minute!
But to be clear, the terminal command I’ll use is the following:
/Users/cturgeon/Downloads/necflash -flash -v /Users/cturgeon/Downloads/3ape_rpc1.bin A:

[Note, the Binflash program and the patch file are saved in her Downloads folder.]

I’ll let you know how it goes - fingers crossed!

Thanks again!