Binflash - NEC/Optiarc firmware flasher and dumper

vbimport

[QUOTE=anto12358;2618075]The drive is rather old and I haven’t used it from quite a while, but the DVDs are the same I’ve always used without problems. I think it is a AD7170A, and apparently some time ago I’ve uploaded the AW-G170A v1.75 firmware into it (which seems wrong; are these two drives 100% compatible?). Actually I don’t remember if I upgraded the firmware because of the power calibration error or for another reason (it’s been at least one of two years ago). Anyway, this is the output with -v option:[/QUOTE]
AD-7170A rings a bell. There is a very easy explanation for your problem. Due to a bug in the drive’s bootcode, it cannot be flashed while in UDMA mode but must be updated in PIO mode instead. In that case it’s probably best to stick to Linux and use hdparm option -p (better check the hdparm man pages before doing that) for switching the drive to PIO mode

[QUOTE=cvs;2618114]I’ve got my drive from Play.com just before the new year … the drive was manufactured June 2011 (20110623, Made in China) and its the Silver bezel variety AD-7283S -0S.

It would be interesting to see if the AD-7281S drives also identify like this when they finally get released …[/QUOTE]
That’s interesting. If the Binflash test version works with your drive, could you email me the firmware? If other 7283 drives have the same issue, I’ll probably have to remove this check for that drive series in general. But it would be quite surprising.

By the way: I doubt that there will ever be an AD-7281S drive. But just in case, it should also be supported by Binflash :wink:

That would be great, thank you! :flower:

Link comes via PM

[QUOTE=Liggy;2618157]AD-7170A rings a bell. There is a very easy explanation for your problem. Due to a bug in the drive’s bootcode, it cannot be flashed while in UDMA mode but must be updated in PIO mode instead. In that case it’s probably best to stick to Linux and use hdparm option [B]-p[/B] (better check the hdparm man pages before doing that) for switching the drive to PIO mode[/QUOTE]
Thanks, it worked! Unfortunately the crappy libata module shipped with newer kernels doesn’t seem to accept hdparm ioctl commands anymore, so I had to use the libata.force option in the kernel boot command line. At the next boot I will switch back to UDMA and see if the drive with the original firmware works. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Liggy;2618157]
That’s interesting. If the Binflash test version works with your drive, could you email me the firmware? If other 7283 drives have the same issue, I’ll probably have to remove this check for that drive series in general. But it would be quite surprising.

By the way: I doubt that there will ever be an AD-7281S drive. But just in case, it should also be supported by Binflash :wink:
[/QUOTE]

The test version works OK and I have sent you a download link for the AD-7283S 1.01 firmware dump via PM. Thank you! :flower:

[QUOTE=anto12358;2618184]At the next boot I will switch back to UDMA and see if the drive with the original firmware works. :p[/QUOTE]
Yep, now it works! Another drive arise from the grave :iagree:
Thank you again.

I am not too sure I put my post about my failure to flash an AD-5960S with binflash/necflash for Mac OS X in the proper forum (specific to my drive ? or binflash bug ??).
Thanks to the Administrator to move my original post to this thread if it is a better fit.

You can leave that post where it is. But besides using Bootcamp (what you already mentioned yourself) I don’t have any ideas what else you could try.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2618256]But besides using Bootcamp (what you already mentioned yourself) I don’t have any ideas what else you could try.[/QUOTE]
OK, but I am in a bit of a conundrum here and would appreciate some suggestions :

[ul]
[li]I DO have Boot Camp / XP installed, but on a PowerBook, not on the Mac Mini 2011 with the internal AD-5960S I want (and failed) to flash[/li][li]Unfortunately, Apple decided not to support XP for Boot Camp on the latest machines, natively released with Lion, as is my Mac Mini 2011[/li][li]There does not seem to be any easy way to Boot Camp XP on those new machines (lack of ad-hoc XP drivers)[/li][li]And I definitely would prefer not to buy the (ridiculously overpriced) Windows7 upgrade, especially since I am not even sure it would solve my flashing problem.[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]I DID verify, on my Mac Mini 2011, that Snow Leopard behaves no better than Lion regarding the Binflash failure to flash the AD-5960S (same error message on the 2nd block)[/li][li]I tried to run Binflash_Win32_GUI within Parallels Desktop / XP on the Mac Mini, but Binflash then fails to recognize any eligible drive (although Windows XP clearly sees it and can use it)[/li][li]And the same Boot Camp partition which runs fine on my PowerBook will not boot the Mac Mini when “wincloned” to an external drive (as expected).[/li][/ul]

So basically, after spending a large part of the week-end trying to find a workaround, I am completely stuck :(:frowning:

I was wondering, since the Mac Mini 2011 properly boots DOS (!) from a CD, if the solution was not to use Binflash_for_DOS32, and if it would be able to find the optical AD-5960S drive (D: drive ?) and then be able to flash it ?
Or if Binflash_Win32_GUI would also be able to flash an external AD-5960S when put into a SATA->USB case, and not be limited to internal drives ?

Any suggestion appreciated…

Please add support for Optiarc DDU1675S.

[QUOTE=Spacedust;2618700]Please add support for Optiarc DDU1675S.[/QUOTE]
Can you provide a Binflash identification file for this drive?

Looking at the flasher, this drive rather seems to be based on a Foxconn design which is probably not supported by Binflash.

I am trying to flash an Optiarc AD-5670S on a Mac Mini using the DOS version of Binflash (long story made short : the OS X Binflash version does not work, and I don’t have Boot Camp / Windows 7).
I use a CD booting FreeDOS w/ memdisk.
I activated a SATA driver with "ADDDEV GCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM /C0 /M6

The driver loads OK, replying :GCDROM V2.3, 8-24-2006
SATA Native IDE controller at I-O address 21D8h/21D0h, Chip I.D. 10DE0AB5h
Driver Name is "CDROM"
Unit 0: Secondary-master, OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5670S, PIO mode.
Driver installed.
BUT, when I type “necflash -scan”, I get “No supported devices found”.
However, AD-5670S ++IS++ supposed to be supported by this version of Binflash.
What did I do wrong ?

Below are “necflash -version” infos :Binflash version v1.59
Drive interface v1.52
NEC interface v1.60
NEC internal v1.60
Probably some stupid error, since I am a Mac guy, not a Windows/DOS one…

The DOS version includes some more required files and the readme.txt should include instructions on what you need to do in order to run Binflash (load ASPI.SYS). However I have to admit that I haven’t tested this DOS version for ages and I cannot promise that it will actually work.

I included in my boot CD all the files coming with the Binflash DOS version, and even tried to ADDDEV ASPI.SYS, according to the included Readme.txt.
But this SCSI driver does not load (from memory, with a message like “no compatible peripheral found”), which did not upset me too much since the AD-5670S is a SATA drive, not an ATAPI drive, and the SATA driver did load.
But may be I was wrong in my assumptions, and if a SCSI API is absolutely required by Necflash, should I find some other ASPI driver more compatible with GCDROM.SYS ?
Sorry if this question is stupid, but as I said before, Windows/Dos is not really my area of expertise…

I can’t say much at all about the tools included for DOS. I just took them from fPLSCSI and once tested it with pure DOS, but that was quite a while ago. Usually I would have expected it to work with running adddev ASPI.SYS after you load your GCDROM.SYS but since this combination obviously does not work, I don’t know what else you could try to make it work under DOS.

Have you ever thought if Linux (from CD or USB stick) could be an alternative? Commands are the same as in DOS but you should not need additional drivers.

On an 2011 iMac with a OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5690H
jyaimac:~ jyavenard$ ~/Downloads/necflash -scanBinflash - NEC version - © by Liggy and Herrie
Visit http://binflash.cdfreaks.com

List of supported devices:

Device : B:
Vendor : OPTIARC
Model : DVD RW AD-5690H
Firmware : 4AH5

I tried flashing the auto firmware found there:
http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7690H/

necflash on my mac failed with an error when sending checksum.
I tried flashing the same firmware in Windows 7 x64, changed the drive mode from UDMA5 to PIO just in case.
Same error.

Then I tried flashing the other firmware:
ori, fast, rpc1: all of them are flashing fine. Only auto is failing.

Which leads me to believe that there’s an issue with the firmware itself rather than the flasher.

Could you have a look at the auto firmware? I would much prefer to use this one rather than the rpc1.

Thank you heaps in advance
Jean-Yves

Something obviously went wrong when I patched the auto firmware. The actual checksum was correct but some other parts were corrupted - fortunately the drive refused to flash this firmware.

I just (hopefully) fixed the 4AH5 firmware and uploaded a corrected version. Please try re-downloading and flashing the auto-firmware.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2619887]
I just (hopefully) fixed the 4AH5 firmware and uploaded a corrected version. Please try re-downloading and flashing the auto-firmware.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the very fast turnaround.

That did fix it, I’ve flashed it without problem and drive is working as expected.

Thanks
Cheers
JY

I’ve just released Binflash version 1.61 which includes the fix for (at least some) AD-7283S drives and also adds support for AD-7250H and AD-7270H drives (AD-7260S and AD-7280S OEM drives)

Hi everyone,
unless this thread is really long and maybe someone has answered this question before, I like to now if there is ANY blu-ray drive on the market which is slim line (for my laptop) and has slot in feature… and of course it should be supported by the great Binflash tool (thanks Liggy, awesome work!) or have other RPC-1 option.

Binflash mostly does not support Bluray drives as there is no way to read back firmwares from a drive and for most other drives Binflash cannot do much more than the original flasher. Since the encryption for Optiarc Blu-Ray drive firmwares was not broken, there are also no RPC1 or Auto-Reset firmwares

The only option you have is using the region reset feature in Binflash that might work and the only Optiarc Blu-ray drive with Slot-In that I could find is the BC-5640H. But it can only read - not burn - Blu-Ray discs.

[B]Re: Failed to Flash Optiarc AD-5960S (2AP5) on a Mac Mini w/ OS X 10.7.2[/B]

After spending days fruitlessly trying to find alternate solutions (DOS boot disk), I finally resigned myself to try the Boot Camp alternative.
It was all the more complicated, since the latest Macs have a Boot Camp which will only accept a Windows 7 install, while I had only Windows XP…

I can now confirm that version 1.61 of Win32 GUI ++DID++ flash my Optiarc AD-5960S (2AP5) on the exact same Mac Mini, where the corresponding Mac OS X version repetitively failed to do it when running under OS X 10.7.2.

If the bug in the Mac OS X version of Binflash cannot be fixed, for whatever reason, it would be great for Mac users if somebody more knowledgeable than me in alternative OS could make a (much) lighter workaround than the Boot Camp one, since this one borders on the ridiculous : 2 GB of Windows 7 installation, hours to install Boot Camp with it, all of that to finally patch less than 30 Bytes of firmware…
Having a DOS or Linux bootable CD working on any Intel Mac would be great :smiley: