Binflash for NEC 3540

vbimport

I have read just about everything there is to read about many topics for the NEC 3540 on this forum, including the threads pertaining to installing new LD3540 1.W5 firmware. I have dumped the factory firmware using Binflash WinGUI Dump.

I have read conflicting statements about restoring the original factory firmware. In one place it says you have to use a special DOS-based flasher from TDB - which I cannot find. In another place it says you can use Binflash, but does not state which one, namely WinGUI, WinDVM or DOS versions.

Can I use Binflash WinGUI to restore the factory firmware? If not what must I use and where do I find it (URL please)?

Using Binflash GUI 1.17 I’ve just restored the stock firmware (1.01) that I previously saved before loading 1.W5. :slight_smile:

My 3540 is connected as secondary master (sorry, typed ‘slave’ in the first instance), my M/B is an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (Microsoft IDE drivers).

Regards,

ET

That’s good to know. Perhaps someone should correct the incorrect statement about needing TDB flasher.

[/quote]My 3540 is connected as secondary master[/QUOTE]

Mine is connected as Secondary Slave. Any problems with that?

In a separate thread I ask for comments from anyone who has evaluated 1.W5. Since you apparently have done that, please comment.

Also, why did you revert back to the factory firmware 1.01?

As mentioned in the separate thread, I found that DVD Decrypter would read a brand new video DVD at 7.0X max. If Riplock limits read speeds to 4X or even 5X, how can I be getting 7.0X?

What max read speed did you attain with 1.W5 and what did you use to read the video DVD?

To assure you that you can do that safely. :slight_smile: I’ve already reloaded 1.W5.

What max read speed did you attain with 1.W5 and what did you use to read the video DVD?

I use only my Aopen 1648/AAP pro to play/rip videos… I’ll do a transfer rate later with the 3540 if you want.

Regards,

ET

Well, thank you for the assistance. I feel a lot more confident.

My problem is that I depend on my 3540 each day to be available. Unfortunately the local vendors I do business with are backordered in beige 3540s, and I do not want any other color. So if I trash my current unit, I am in trouble. When the locals get some beige 3540s in stock, I will give 1.W5 a close look, especially now that I know I can go back.

I use only my Aopen 1648/AAP pro to play/rip videos… I’ll do a transfer rate later with the 3540 if you want.

Please do. But it needs to be two rips - one on a brand new video DVD and one on an old worm (but otherwise servicable) video DVD.

Please do. But it needs to be two rips - one on a brand new video DVD and one on an old worm (but otherwise servicable) video DVD.

I forgot to mention that those video DVDs must be DL.

Here they are. I scanned them both with my 3540A (fw 1.W5) and my Aopen 1658AAP/PRO (fw 1.02).

First one: pressed DVD-9 (Matrix reloaded :wink: ). Not one of my best DVDs, I guess: the players had some troubles after layer transition (the AOpen did a better job, anyway):

http://www.golfodisalo.it/img/001/_NEC____DVD_RW_ND-3540A_1.W5_24-August-2005_19_25.png
http://www.golfodisalo.it/img/001/AOPEN___DVD1648_AAP_PRO_1.02_24-August-2005_19_35.png

Second one: another pressed DVD-9. This one is better. :slight_smile:

http://www.golfodisalo.it/img/001/_NEC____DVD_RW_ND-3540A_1.W5_24-August-2005_19_51.png
http://www.golfodisalo.it/img/001/AOPEN___DVD1648_AAP_PRO_1.02_24-August-2005_20_04.png

Finally, a DVD+R DL (RICOHJPND00). The NEC read this one at a slower speed (3-7 X CAV), as you can see:

http://www.golfodisalo.it/img/001/_NEC____DVD_RW_ND-3540A_1.W5_24-August-2005_20_24.png
http://www.golfodisalo.it/img/001/AOPEN___DVD1648_AAP_PRO_1.02_24-August-2005_20_37.png

Regards, :slight_smile:

ET

How did you get Nero CD-DVD Speed to read Matrix Unloaded? I am using Ver. 4.04, which I believe is the latest. When I try I get an error:

“Read Of Scrambled Sector Without Authentication (056F03)”

Also, is there any way to use Nero CD-DVD Speed to assess the quality of a rip? When I try to use the other features, I get errors

First one: pressed DVD-9 (Matrix reloaded :wink: ). Not one of my best DVDs, I guess: the players had some troubles after layer transition (the AOpen did a better job, anyway):

http://www.golfodisalo.it/img/001/_NEC____DVD_RW_ND-3540A_1.W5_24-August-2005_19_25.png
http://www.golfodisalo.it/img/001/AOPEN___DVD1648_AAP_PRO_1.02_24-August-2005_19_35.png

Nero CD-DVD Speed with the NEC 3540 indicates a read speed max of 11.6X. If that has any correlation with the max I saw with Decrypter, it is much faster - all I could get is 7.0X.

Do you attribute that to 1.W5?

Is there any way to do that test on the NEC 3540 with the original firmware?

Second one: another pressed DVD-9. This one is better. :slight_smile:

http://www.golfodisalo.it/img/001/_NEC____DVD_RW_ND-3540A_1.W5_24-August-2005_19_51.png
http://www.golfodisalo.it/img/001/AOPEN___DVD1648_AAP_PRO_1.02_24-August-2005_20_04.png

I have only tried Matrix Reloaded so I have no way to compare.

Finally, a DVD+R DL (RICOHJPND00). The NEC read this one at a slower speed (3-7 X CAV), as you can see:

http://www.golfodisalo.it/img/001/_NEC____DVD_RW_ND-3540A_1.W5_24-August-2005_20_24.png
http://www.golfodisalo.it/img/001/AOPEN___DVD1648_AAP_PRO_1.02_24-August-2005_20_37.png

I likely will not be using DL burns and if I do speed is not a factor.

Can you rip Matrix Reloaded with DVD Decrypter using the NEC 3540? That way I can make a direct comparison:

Total Time: 16.5 minutes
Early read speed: 3.3X
Max. Read Speed: 7.0X

Thanks for your assistance.

BTW, I read those images to disk so you can delete them if you want to reclaim the space.

I use AnyDVD. :wink:

Also, is there any way to use Nero CD-DVD Speed to assess the quality of a rip? When I try to use the other features, I get errors

What do you mean by “the quality of a rip?” :confused:

Nero CD-DVD Speed with the NEC 3540 indicates a read speed max of 11.6X. If that has any correlation with the max I saw with Decrypter, it is much faster - all I could get is 7.0X.

Do you attribute that to 1.W5?

Of course! In the ZIP file of firmware 1.W5 you get the version with riplock removed and a ‘quiet’ version suitable for DVD playback. The firmware supports also PI/PO error scanning with CD-DVD Speed, and Booktype setting. Maybe you should read the documentation RTF file in the package. :wink:

Can you rip Matrix Reloaded with DVD Decrypter using the NEC 3540? That way I can make a direct comparison:

Total Time: 16.5 minutes
Early read speed: 3.3X
Max. Read Speed: 7.0X

Done.

Total Time: 9 minutes and 2 seconds
Early read speed: 5.1x
Max. Read Speed: 11.5x
Average Speed: 8.6x

Trust me, go for 1.W5! :iagree: (and 1.W6 is coming:stuck_out_tongue: )

ET

I finally saw where it acts as a driver in background. Very clever.

What do you mean by “the quality of a rip?” :confused:

Nero CD-DVD Speed has other screens selectable with tabs, eg, “Disc Quality” and “Disk Scan”. I have seen what look like bitmaps representing the noise etc of reading a disc.

When I try to use those functions, I get errors. I suppose that’s where AnyDVD comes in handy.

Of course! In the ZIP file of firmware 1.W5 you get the version with riplock removed and a ‘quiet’ version suitable for DVD playback. The firmware supports also PI/PO error scanning with CD-DVD Speed, and Booktype setting.

That’s probably what I am thinking about when I said “quality of the rip”.

Maybe you should read the documentation RTF file in the package. :wink:

I have read that several times - and everything else I can find. I am new to DVD technology, although hardly new to computer technology.

I find the writeups to be written in a rather arcane language that only gurus can understand, eg., “PI/PO error scanning” (whatever that means).

I am sure this will all become standard knowledge for me soon, but right now I am struggling to sort it all out.

It doesn’t help when people get sloppy and post misinformation that I spend hours trying to figure out. :frowning:

Done.

Total Time: 9 minutes and 2 seconds
Early read speed: 5.1x
Max. Read Speed: 11.5x
Average Speed: 8.6x

Just to make sure I understand you, those are the read rates for ripping a new store-bought (pressed) Matrix Reloaded with DVD Decrypter using an NEC 3540 using 1.W5. Very impressive improvement over my 1.01 speeds.

Now I have a new problem - since you have AnyDVD in background stripping stuff off, how do we know that those times are going to be the same for me?

Trust me, go for 1.W5! :iagree: (and 1.W6 is coming:stuck_out_tongue: )

I trust you but as I said, I have to wait until the locals get some beige 3540s in stock in case I trash my unit.

Well… actually in this case it is better to say “quality of a burn”. :slight_smile: But I’m sure that you’ll get familiar with that stuff soon. You’ll find lots of infos in the forum.

Just to make sure I understand you, those are the read rates for ripping a new store-bought (pressed) Matrix Reloaded with DVD Decrypter using an NEC 3540 using 1.W5.

:iagree: Exactly

Now I have a new problem - since you have AnyDVD in background stripping stuff off, how do we know that those times are going to be the same for me?

AnyDVD has a time-limited free trial… just try it! :wink:

Regards,

ET

Then I am confused. I thought those those functions on Nero CD-DVD Speed were to assess the quality of a read. I just got the manuals so I have some reading to do.

But I’m sure that you’ll get familiar with that stuff soon. You’ll find lots of infos in the forum.

I am at the point where I have read just about everything there is to read on the forum and now I need some assistance on specific issues which remain unclear.

I really appreciate your efforts - I am learning a lot from this.

AnyDVD has a time-limited free trial… just try it! :wink:

I just loaded it. I am sure I will have a question or two so I will be back.

Maybe it is just a problem of terminology: the “Disc Quality” tab measures the PI/PO errors for DVDs, C1/C2 errors for CD, and jitter level for both CD and DVD: these parameters measure the “troubles” encountered by the device when it reads the support. However, in most cases all reading errors are completely recoverable, so the reading process (the rip: this term often refers both to the reading process (aka ‘ripping process’) and to the result of the reading process itself) is 100% accurate. This means that the “quality of the rip” is always “perfect”. :wink:
Since this test is mainly performed on burned media rather than pressed media, if the reader encounters difficulties reading the support (i.e. high error levels and/or jitter), we usually say that “the burn quality is bad” (keeping in mind that all this stuff is somewhat relative to the reading device).

Hope that this helps, probably someone else will be able to explain it better than me. :slight_smile:

ET

Here’s what I get for an original DVD of Matrix Reloaded, NEC 3540, 1.01 firmware, AnyDVD, and Nero CD-DVD Speed Benchmark Transfer Speed:

http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/_nec____dvd_rw_nd-3540a_1.01_25-august-2005_04_44.gif

As you can see I did not achieve the speed you got.

Why did your NEC fw 1.W5 read this DVD at a slow speed?

Notice that this result is almost identical to my result above, except for the slight size difference.

What’s going on? I thought 1.W5 was supposed to remove Riplock on your NEC.

I assume you are aware that AnyDVD phones home a lot. It tries to establish an Internet connection to two locations.

I have Kerio installed and therefore can see everytime it phones out.

Yes, as I already said it is because firmware 1.W5 has riplock removed, while 1.01 has not.

Why did your NEC fw 1.W5 read this DVD at a slow speed?

Because it is not a pressed DVD (DVD-9), but a burned double layer DVD+R (DVD+R DL): of course the 3540 is able to detect the difference. :bigsmile:
I’m not into the details of 3540 specs, since as I said I use another device for ripping DVDs, but I guess that the max reading speed of the 3540 for DL media is 8x and not 12x as in the case of pressed DL media, even with riplock removed.

Below you can see a the log of DVD Decrypter with the “Matrix Reloaded” DVD:

The program tries to set the speed to 16x (I forced it to do that), but then it gets 12x as reading speed.

In the next screenshot, the DVD+R DL is inserted in the drive:

This time, the actual read speed is 8x.

Yes, i know that. it is the “Automatically check for new AnyDVD Version” feature: you can disable it under “Settings… -> Program”. :slight_smile:

ET

That’s what I get too - selected 16X, actual 8X.

I had something weird happen. Decrypter reported that it would take 1.5 hours to rip Matrix Reloaded. I rebooted and it reverted back to normal 16-17 minutes. I had that happen once before with another DVD-9.

Something is buggering with my 3540. I have Decrypter set for 16X under Settings -> Device -> Options -> Set Read Speed -> 16X.

This bad rip started off at 0.9X and barely got to 1X before I shut it down.

Any idea what could be messing with my system?

If I wanted to get into 3540 specs in a very detailed manner, where would I go?

Also, if I wanted to write my own firmware, how would I get started?

[FWIW, I program in Assembly so firmware is nothing new to me.]

All I have come up with so far is MediaCodeSpeedEdit and Binflash. I need the tools and tutorials - where should I go to find them?

Wow, I can’t help you with that, sorry… it goes beyond my knowledge.
You should contact the people here who develop the “modded firmware” for NEC. :iagree:

ET