Binflash doesn't see my Optiarc AD5170A dvd writer

I have a problem with my NEC 5170A dvd burner.

I want to set the booktype of the burner to DVD-rom for DVD+R with imgburn.

It’s possible to change the booktype for DVD +R DL to DVD-rom, but somehow it doesn’t support changing the booktype of the normal DVD+R.

I tried to update the firmware of the burner with official firmware supplied, but it doesn’t work:

So I looked on this website and came across a way to flash the drive with custom firmware from liggy and dee that made it possible to change the booktype for DVD+R as well.

I downloaded the firmwarefile here:

http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-5170A/

and tried to use binflash to flash the drive. But when I let binflash scan for drives, it doesn’t find any… I tried booting my pc in safe mode, but this didn’t have any effect. Neither did downloading the DOS version of binflash and scanning.

Can anyone please help me?

Get the windows gui version of binflash (also the firmware you want, it should be one that supports booktype) and i also think that you will need to set your drive into pio-mode.

[QUOTE=vroom;2309478]Get the windows gui version of binflash (also the firmware you want, it should be one that supports booktype) and i also think that you will need to set your drive into pio-mode.[/QUOTE]

I tried the win gui version as well but it didn’t see my drive… I tried it again and now it does see my drive. :slight_smile: No idea why, but I’m happy. But now when I try to flash I get the “error submitting checksum” error.

I guess I could try setting it to pio mode :slight_smile:

Setting it to pio-mode seemed to have done the trick. Thank you very much for your help!

Nice, enjoy your booktyped burns.