Bin and cue images

vbimport

i’d be much obliged if someone could explain how they work… for instance, i know you can change bin files to iso’s and then burn them. would that be possible with a bin/cue combination, or do they lose some information?

There is damn good reason NOT to change formats of images.
A .bin/.cue combination is a true disc image.
An .iso can even be created from a folder containg data on your hard drive.
If the original .bin/.cue is an image of a bootable cd then converting to .iso ensures it will never boot again.
If the .bin/.cue is an image of a game cd that also contains audio tracks then converting to .iso ensures that the audio tracks are lost for all time.
Use the software originally designed to burn .bin/.cue - i.e. CDRwin (Goldenhawk’s original, true CDRWin) or Fireburner.
Other software may be able to burn them also but it seems smarter to use the specified software.

Some alternatives to cdrwin and fireburner for bin/cue burning are nero (which you probably have on your system anyway), burnatonce (free for non-commercial use), alcohol and discjuggler.

It isn’t even remotely difficult to burn bin/cue images and, as Black Diamond pointed out above, there are very good reasons for not converting them to iso images prior to burning.

Most burning proggies can burn a .bin and .cue file if it has an image burning option.

i downoaded all of those programs, and they only let me burn images of iso, cue, toc, the only program i have found that burns bin images is recordnow, and im not so sure that works because i cannot run the disc, isobuster comes up instead of completing the installation of where the first image on my computer left off. it has been giving me so much trouble i cant find help in any forums.

A bin image should have a companion cue sheet file. Burn the bin image by loading the cue file for burning.

If you don’t have a cue sheet, re-make the image files from your original cds.

In the unlikely event that you have legally downloaded a bin file without an associated cue sheet, you can burn that file with any of nero (burn as a foreign image), discjuggler or fireburner. However, if the image is of a cd with more than one track, the burnt cd won’t work.

Originally posted by philamber
A bin image should have a companion cue sheet file. Burn the bin image by loading the cue file for burning.

i have a cue sheet file, i burned the bin image,
what i dont understand is “by loading the cue file for burning” what does that mean?

does it mean i select the cue file for burning and the bin will then burn?

or does it mean burn the cue image and not the bin image? but the cue image is less than 1kb, that would be a waste of a cd, im confused.

Originally posted by Mr.Jack
does it mean i select the cue file for burning and the bin will then burn?

If you burn it as an image file, yes. :slight_smile:

if i burn it as an image will it run?
and if so will it run automatically?
what is the point of the bin image if all you need to burn is the cue image?

The cue sheet is the control file, the bin is the actual disc image. What the cue sheet does is tell the software how the image (the bin) is to be burnt.

once i have burned the cue sheet can i delete both of them?

If it works. Yes.

one more problem, when i click on the games icon it asks for disc 4 so i put disc 4 in and it still does not run, i think i need a patch, i have tried deamon tools but no luck.