Bigger hard drives when?

vbimport

so it’s feb 2008 and the largest drives available are 1tb (not counting RAID). does anyone know a timetable or release date of when bigger drives are coming? and what size? by december, what should we have? 1.2tb? 1.5tb?

thanks for any info

i personally dont know, but it aint like 1TB is small anyways lol

so unless your ‘collecting stuff’ (or maybe run a business?) you wont need more than 2 ish of those 1TB hard drives anyways :wink:

[QUOTE=NBR;2008414]i personally dont know, but it aint like 1TB is small anyways lol

so unless your ‘collecting stuff’ (or maybe run a business?) you wont need more than 2 ish of those 1TB hard drives anyways ;)[/QUOTE]
That is what they said when I upgraded from 20MB to a 40MB drive…LOL…Yes MB not GB

I guess the steps will be at the begin with 0.2TB steps. If they have better heads for the drive and better magnetic materials I’m sure they begin to count 0.5TB or 1TB steps…

But I don’t know why 1TB… my “large” PC has two 250GB HDDs and my Internet PC has “only” 160GB. I’m sure I’ll need years to fill this drives since I do not “collect” software, music or movies…

I prefer to abide by the “don´t put all your eggs in one basket”

So, I can´t see myself needing such a hard-drive anytime soon. If anything goes wrong, that´s too much stuff to lose! Anything on my lappy HD is backed up onto at least one external HD, and the most important stuff is on two. Don´t forget, the average life-expectancy of an HD is 3 - 5 years!

But, if you like terabytes, then I suggest you get yourself two already!

[QUOTE=deanimator;2008765]I prefer to abide by the “don´t put all your eggs in one basket”[/QUOTE]

Lots of eggs, lots of baskets! :wink: :bigsmile:

you know, i really don’t understand some of the arguments here that say that 1TB is enough. it will never be enough. i remember being amazed by 10gb drives.

640k is enough for anybody

and it has been over a year since the first terabyte drives were released. a year without increases is surprising. they have increased density so that the terabyte drives on the market now have fewer platters. laptop drives have basically tripled. so where are bigger desktop drives?

It is weird that its been so long and all we see is still 1TB HDDs. Right now I need about 5 TB of space min.
I’m sick of having so many DVDs and always needing to flip through hundreds of them before I find the single thing im looking for. I want all my data to be accessible anytime/anywhere from one or two hard drives.

[QUOTE=wolfmyth;2016311]It is weird that its been so long and all we see is still 1TB HDDs. Right now I need about 5 TB of space min.
I’m sick of having so many DVDs and always needing to flip through hundreds of them before I find the single thing im looking for. I want all my data to be accessible anytime/anywhere from one or two hard drives.[/QUOTE]

Do you know how that HDDs are built???
If you would know then you would also know that there are limitations no one can bend.

Hard drives have always been increased one platter at a time. A 300GB Maxtor uses four platters. Seagate is going to have 100GB per platter. Everyone’s goal is to increase the capacity per platter. Maxtor will soon have 175GB per platter. But I feel that flash drives are the future for durability and power usage and density.

[QUOTE=deanimator;2008765]Don�t forget, the average life-expectancy of an HD is 3 - 5 years![/QUOTE]
LOL only if you use it occasinaly i suppose it will. Well know that all drives now are made very badly. I use drives for videos and other media, they don’t last five minutes, well not much more than a year.

For longer hd life than a few months use the biggest psu you can afford. At minimum 600watt psu, get one where the volatages are certified and checked. Use temp monitors to check all system and drives temps and health. This ensures at least you can get a year hoping out of them. I do know some that have had their drives for two years, but the computer is little used, not every day for hours.

I would be happy not tosee any drive size increases for a year or two. Until the companies can sell reliable drives.

What i find dissapointing they make crap drives, but don’t recover your data under warranty to a new drive. You are left with - repair yourself - lose data your and accept a new drive - pay lots of money for a dr individual or company to repair for you. Those sollutions are crazy, its only needed for drive companies to build better drives.

btw i’m still using drives from 10 years ago, they are smaller but very reliable. It was when drives companies did make good drives. Not like todays utter rubbish they make.

[QUOTE=slytrans69;2037520]Hard drives have always been increased one platter at a time. A 300GB Maxtor uses four platters. Seagate is going to have 100GB per platter. Everyone’s goal is to increase the capacity per platter. Maxtor will soon have 175GB per platter. But I feel that flash drives are the future for durability and power usage and density.[/QUOTE]

That in itself is problematic for flash drive can be broken, sat on, solar damaged, stolen, static damage, lost, and only 8G max I seen so far. HDD isn’t going to go out the window anytime soon.

[QUOTE=robbi;2039413]LOL only if you use it occasinaly i suppose it will. Well know that all drives now are made very badly. I use drives for videos and other media, they don’t last five minutes, well not much more than a year.

For longer hd life than a few months use the biggest psu you can afford. At minimum 600watt psu, get one where the volatages are certified and checked. Use temp monitors to check all system and drives temps and health. This ensures at least you can get a year hoping out of them. I do know some that have had their drives for two years, but the computer is little used, not every day for hours.

I would be happy not tosee any drive size increases for a year or two. Until the companies can sell reliable drives.

What i find dissapointing they make crap drives, but don’t recover your data under warranty to a new drive. You are left with - repair yourself - lose data your and accept a new drive - pay lots of money for a dr individual or company to repair for you. Those sollutions are crazy, its only needed for drive companies to build better drives.

btw i’m still using drives from 10 years ago, they are smaller but very reliable. It was when drives companies did make good drives. Not like todays utter rubbish they make.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know whom your buying your HDD from but seems like you need to get HDD from brand name manufactures like WD, Seagate, Maxtor. Whom have good warranty on their drives. I used and now have WD and Maxtor HDD drives in my computer a total of 4 WD, 1 Maxtor. All working and doing just fine only have to replace one in the so far since I purchased the drives. Also defragging your HDD extends it’s life and usage.

WD could release larger drives but they aren’t for some reason. They are at over 320GB per platter atm and they said they can do 1TB on three platters. I guess they are working more on refining 640GB per platter technology. WD claims 3TB HDD by 2010 and Hitachi claims 4TB by that time. I read an article that was over a year old where Seagate was claiming 300T_bits_ by 2010, I don’t see that happening if the other two claim 3-4TB.

Also, Samsung is at 334 GB/platter, using only 3 platters for its TB hard drive, but I’m thinking that they’re tweaking the reliability of their system before doing 1.3 TB in a 4 platter design, or trying to get an even higher density for some other reasons.