Big Stores Offer Blow Out Blu-ray Prices

vbimport

If you’ve wanted a Blu-ray DVD player, there’s never been a better time to get one, as retailers are drastically reducing prices on the devices in an attempt to give the format a much-needed boost. The Wall Street Journal reports that prices on Blu-ray players at stores like Target and Best Buy will drop to $230 and possibly as low as $150 after Thanksgiving, down sharply from roughly $400 earlier this year.

http://www.nytimes.com/external/gigaom/2008/10/28/28gigaom-big-stores-offer-blow-out-blu-ray-prices-10760.html

sweet :slight_smile: now when are they going to drop the price of the releases?

but the burners are still $200, the blanks are outrageous and it takes a half an hour to burn. oh and you still need to purchase AnyDVD HD, $100.

if you havent already a HDTV you will need to spend $700 dollars to get a decent tv.

if you havent already a new system [like me] then you will need to drop another $500 just to get anything decent.

150 + 30 + 200 + 15 + 100 + 700 + 500 = $1695 plus tax [and shipping] to watch one Blu-ray back up.

this is just buying the cheap stuff. :slight_smile:

I think Best Buy and Target, as the article suggested are aiming at average people who wants to go Blu-ray with a (new) player, and not really aim at advanced user who wants to back up their hidef movies. As far as I know there’s no Blu-ray burner at Target (at least online).

I also think they are lowering the standalone price to attract more interest to HDTV, since their HDTV showcase often feed from a blu-ray player.

Finally, higher margin compared to selling dvd player.

Yay!
Now if I could just buy catalogue titles, aka 1950’s black and white movies, for less than twice the price of the DVD version of recent (2-3yr old) blockbusters :stuck_out_tongue:

As mentioned already this is to help the adoption and sales of a BluRay player and HDTV’s not to be able to back up etc…

BluRay is a niche market much like SACD and is destined to stay that way. Cost is the problem, and discounting BluRay players solves only half the “cost” problem. The high price of BluRay software will absolutely kill decent market penetration. Consumers won’t buy a player if the software is too expensive.
PS/3 is the driving force behind BluRay adoption but the average consumer won’t see the benefit without major upgrades in the playback chain. HD-DVD failed and so will BluRay.

[QUOTE=Mr Grits;2148511]BluRay is a niche market … destined to stay that way … Consumers won’t buy a player if the software is too expensive …
PS/3 is the driving force behind BluRay adoption but the average consumer won’t see the benefit without major upgrades in the playback chain. HD-DVD failed and so will BluRay.[/QUOTE]
A little cynical?

Bluray is already successful and IS the successor to DVD.
Yes, the PS3 was the trojan for Bluray & it killed HD-DVD, kudo’s to Sony for the forethought, eh? No comment to M$ & Toshiba :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, the entire playback chain must be replaced, but TV’s break down, and I know for certain that analogue TV is being replaced by digital, and being dismantled, in most western countries, and I guess others regions also. This means that most people will need digital set top boxes. Immediately, people are annoyed by multiple remotes just to watch TV - I know my parents are :stuck_out_tongue:

A TV with digital tuner eliminates the annoyance of multiple remotes, and the new HD TV’s are not that much more expensive compared to the crappy SD equivalents of the same size … so SD TV’s will be discontinued and the existing TV’s will be replaced with HDTV’s of similar sizes.

Bluray came out approx 2 years ago, while financial stress was beginning, and only the hardcore, or incredibly rich are foolish enough to adopt new technologies. However, after people see HD TV in action, DVD’s are a step down … and they’ll be convinced to upgrade to bluray.

In a few years, enough people will be purchasing bluray content to drop “software”/movie prices anyway & then bluray will be comparable to DVD’s.

At the moment, (in .AU) New release DVD’s are $30 - The same New Release Bluray is $45, which is a premium of 50%. People seem to be comparing the overall price of DVD’s to Bluray … and the DVD market is over-saturated in catalogue titles,that only the most avid movie collector could possibly find attractive, that are 3 for $15 and are being compared to overall Bluray prices (which of course are high in comparison).

In the first instance … all bluray players play DVD’s and many older movies weren’t filmed with HD resolution cameras, so won’t really benefit from the higher resolution regardless … although I’m sure the film industry is pulling out the old film reels & resampling them, but it’s doubtful people will be replacing them … despite the movie industries enthusiasm.

The only possible killer is Video on Demand, or Internet TV, and when I look around … the backbones of most countries in the world simply can’t take it. It will be years before the backbones are upgraded to handle an influx of millions of people watching High Definition Video at 30Mb/s bandwidth across a country.

I’ll remind most people that Bluray Video Bitrates can peak at 40Mb/s, and ADSL is MAXIMUM dedicated 24Mb/s in optimal conditions, and Cable is shared 30Mb/s. If you want to have something to listen to, it can reach 48Mb/s … just twice the maximum (optimal) speed of ADSL2+ & 60% more than the maximum possible speed of cable.
And if two people watch IPTV in real time on the same Cable … good luck.

And as I recall, the predominant internet service connection in the USA is cable :slight_smile:
Is anyone going to protest at the shared maximum possible bandwidth available with current Wifi ISP’s? :rolleyes:
Wifi is great for fast, short bursts of internet traffic (like websites). But streaming large files can make your hair fall out, and your teeth wear down.

Bluray has no serious contenders in the short term. The format is already well established.

[QUOTE=debro;2148645]A little cynical?[/QUOTE]I prefer to think of it as being realistic.

[QUOTE=debro;2148645]Bluray has no serious contenders in the short term. The format is already well established.[/QUOTE]
Well established as a gaming platform, but resistance to software pricing, in the short term, as a movie viewing platform is fairly obvious from my viewpoint.
A majority of the consuming public can’t justify the expense even with the obvious improvement in picture quality. They just don’t care.
When the players reach the sub $100 level things will change. Until that time, Sony will continue to dump massive amounts of money into the format hoping for consumer acceptance. They just have deeper pockets, or more optimism, than Toshiba or MS. Priorities are changing in spending habits amongst the demographic being targeted. Let’s revisit this discussion next year at this time and compare predictions.
Owning a 72" HDTV and an HD-DVD player puts me in a small segment of the population, and I have no desire to move to Bluray. I don’t need a fully immersive experience to enjoy a movie. The upscaling capabilities of my existing player look pretty good to these rapidly failing eyes.

I’m starting to think some of this pricing is out of desperation, and there may be something to this article, although it’s obvious nothing’s been “called” yet. Makes a lot of good points, not unlike some of the ones already made in some of the more informed reactions on the CDF News front page.

[QUOTE=Mr Grits;2148672]The upscaling capabilities of my existing player look pretty good to these rapidly failing eyes.[/QUOTE]
I doubt the failing eyes & blind segments of the population is the target demographic for HDTV :wink:

Young people can see the difference between HD formats & upscaled DVD’s & are also more likely to splurge (albeit, probably against common sense).

Music has been aimed at teenagers for a long time & is a huge success.
HDTV & Bluray is currently aimed at the 25-40yr market, I suspect, but as it gets cheaper, it’ll shift to the 15-25yr market where the big bucks really start rolling in.

The current economic climate is still the big problem with adoption of any new format - and this will affect ANY medium, including the TV over IP segment.

All the (luxury goods) shops in Oz are throwing out specials (price reductions) like there’s no tomorrow as people are hoarding their money, because there might not be a tommorrow, apparently I’m guessing that would be the case for most countries. At any rate, it’s just not the best environment to be the driver of a fledgling technology :iagree:

Who would bother with duplicating 300 discs, when you can get 2000 for almost the same price?