Big problems DVDRW IDE1004

I got my drive yesterday , and tried burning Van wilder to dvd . I used an Emtec 4speed dvd-r disk , i cant post any mediacodes cause neither nero or dvdinfopro will recognize these disks , which says alot really . My BTC did successfully end the writing process but the verification was horrible , i’m very new to all this burning stuff so i tried to play the dvd anyway , just scipping through the chapters . It did play normal , although i got the impression picture qaulity wasnt up to par with the original , untill i got halve way through the movie when it hung and all i could do was close powerdvd with the taskmanager and eject the cd . Next i tested the media for errors using dvdinfopro and it showed what my testplay indicated , all green blocks untill halve way through where it started going down and at the 70% procent mark this program also stopped working . I hadnt upgraded my firmware untill then so i decided now is a good time . I downloaded the windows FW043 and ran it , it completed the update and told me to reboot so i did . I got a nasty BOD when booting up , all i could do was use the off switch on the back of my PSU , the rest was unresponsive . After i powered down and rebooted , i check my drive info using DVDinfopro and it said it was on FW043 . Then i discovered something i think maybe caused my problem , when pressing mediainfo it returned info . I forgot to remove the faulty burned disk i was scanning before updating my FW . To be safe i then ran the firmware upgrade again , this time without BOD’s . Since upgrading to the new firmware ive been having nothing but problems , basicly every time i try to burn something sooner or later my system will hang and all that works is the off switch on my PSU . I havent had these kinds of hangs since i owned a C64 ages ago :s . I started reading this forum and checked my settings , i discovered my secondary IDE master (my burner location) transfer mode was set to UltraDMA4 . My toshiba DVD-rom which is slave on the same chan was set to UltraDMA2 . I read somewhere the BTC was designed to work best on UltraDMA2 so i changed it . Ive also tried burning on the supplied DVD+RW but my system also hangs about halve way through the burn . Next i’m gonna disconnect my Toshiba DVD-rom so the BTC is sole master on IDE-S and try again . After that i’m gonna try flashing in DOS using those special FW’s , but i got a feeling i fucked up my drive with that first flash . Ow yeah i allready upgraded my nero to 6.0.0.28 same result . I could try a bios update cause i’m on a very new mobo , DFI lanparty NFII ultra rev B . (nforce2 ultra 400) . Also my memory timings are VERY agressive 2-2-2-2 , could this be the problem ? So far i havent had any crashes using apz or gaming , only when i try to burn with the BTC . Well there is plenty for me try yet , but ide appreciate tips and if anyone thinks i maybe did fuck my drive (my m8 has one and it works great for him using supercheap disks 0.69 euro/disk) let me know i only got 8 days to return the fucker .
wish me luck .

a not stable runnig overclocked system, and agressive ram timings can be the reason, overclocked systems, in case that youre system is overclocked, sometimes look stable but they aren´t, encoding and decoding of dvd needs 100% of cpu, bring your ram timing to default values and try it again, if your system is overclocked try a lower fsb, multi or set your system to default settings, and overclock when you are sure that everthing is running correct.

lg

havent got round to oc’ing yet , i’m kinda a noob at it so i need to do some more research before i feel comfy trying it . I just put my timings at 2-2-2-2 cause i bought some high end ram and i wanted to feel good buying 180 euro’s of dual channel pc 3200 ram (OCZ pc3200 platinum 2*256 MB dual chan) =D . I updated my bios , not that it will make much difference cause it was a very minor bios update solely todo with my cmos reloaded feature . I also reinstalled my nforce 3.13 in safe mode this time , who knows rite ;] . I’m gonna test burn once more and then try dos flashing my drive if it still hangs . For all future test i’m gonna use the +RW provided by BTC cause that should be compatible on a working drive . Mmmm i just saw i forgot to mention in my first post , that after i failed writing van wilder to the +RW i did a full erase of the disk and this worked without a glitch although it took 30+ minutes but that normal right ?
i’ll keep you posted on my progress…

[UPDATE]
well after the new bios and the reinstall in safe mode of my nvidia nforce2 drivers , i did my first successfull burn with my BTC on the supplied +RW disk . Funny thing though , after the reinstall etc nero only recognizes it as 2 speed while the first time i burned it (and failed) it was recognized as a 2,4 speed as advertised on the disk itself .

Media Information                            

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNW01
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name NEW
Application id
Implementation id AHEAD Nero
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 12/ 7/2003 16:48:21
Format Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
Book Type DVD+RW
Media Type DVD+RW
Media Id Code Speed Unknown
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 1.0x 1385KBps
BG Format Status Suspended
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 23053Fh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

verified burnresult with nero and testrun on my toshiba DVD-ROM and philips DVD 633 standalone : both worked . I’m still not happy with the picture qaulity though , but after playing the ripped VOB files straight from HD it seems these give the same blockyness it shows on the dvd+rw sometimes .
I’m gonna try one more time on the -r disks , but i bet ill fail once more . Anyone from belgium reading DO NOT buy the emtec disks currently in promotion @ macro . These dont work on either the BTC nor the 411S

As expected the 5th try on my emtec 4x dvd-r disks also failed , clearly very very poor media .

Media Information
Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID
Format Capacity Not Formatted
Free Blocks 412352512
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed Unknown
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
2x Speed OPC beta 0B
2x Speed OPC power 10
2x Write Strategy field 1 11 87 78 80
2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta 06
4x Speed OPC power 17
4x Write Strategy field 1 0D 0F 0B 0B
4x Write Strategy field 2 98 08 0F 0B
4x Write Strategy field 3 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 06

So first thing on the list before a possible cancelation of purchase is to get proper media . There is 1 thing that puzzles me alot , when reinstalling my nvidia nforce2 drivers , my DMA settings got changed back and now my drive is stable again . When bios default is selected the drive is autoset to ultraDMA4 but in the first aid sticky thread you clearly advice on setting it to UltraDMA2 . In my case this is deffo not adviseble it seems .

well after yesterdays testing i was convinced my problems where mostly my very poor media so today i got me some TDK’s . I saw the 1-2 speed TDKs on the approved list and i know their cd-r have always worked for me in the past , so i figured they would do the trick . I got home , tried one last time to burn an emtec this time with sonicDVD , well this was a waste of time (alot of time i transcoded the underworld CD1 for it to give an error the second it FINALLY started with the actuall writing process . )
After i reinstalled my nforce drivers yesterday which resulted in the resetting of UDMA setting to UltraDMA4 , i havent had a system hang , sadly about 70% into my first burn attempt on the TDK disks it happened again . Also i allready loosened my mem settings in my bios . For my second attemp i uninstalled nero 6.0.0.28 and installed nero 5.5.10.33 (came with the btc writer) . I booted into windows , and shut down every program i usually have running in the background . MSM + noname irc script + Mcafee virusshield , telemeter (up/download limit checker for my isp) . Also since all the hangs seem to happen at +50% of the burnprocess, i upped the time windows would enable screenprotection if it would be enabled , which it wasnt . Hey i’m trying everything rite =] . Well the disk was burned successfully @ 4 speed + passed verification . 2nd verfication with nero CD/DVD speed 2.11 File test : 0 errors . I wanted to try K probe , but after installing it wont recognize my drive and it says the disk was empty , i tried other disks but nothing will run any of the tests .
The burned dvd plays in my BTC drive , but doesnt get recognised in my toshiba DVD-ROM :frowning: . It does work flawlesly on my dads philips DVD 633 stand alone . TBH i’m about fed with DVD writing , i first purchased a liteon 411S + the emtec disks , being a total noob i actually returned that drive cause i couldnt burn anything on -r with it (my emtec spindle). I got Myself the BTC as a replacement and again i managed to a writer with crap media suport + I strongly suspect i really did fuck my drive up with the mentioned flash incident . Tomorrow i’m gonna try out the new FW and if seems to be an improvement i’m still gonna exchange this unit for a new one . If i dont notice an improvement (as in successfully burning a disk while chatting and surfing that works in both my toshiba and philips) i’ll just ask for a refund and i’ll stick to DVD to Xvid/divx rips on my proven liteon CD-R/RW . I really feel this DVD technology isnt mature enough for me to waste money on .

Media Information
Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Media code/Manufacturer ID TYG01
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name NIEUW
Application id
Implementation id AHEAD Nero
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 12/ 8/2003 18:04:50
Format Capacity 4.33GB(4.65GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
2x Speed OPC beta 08
2x Speed OPC power 0F
2x Write Strategy field 1 11 87 78 80
2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta 05
4x Speed OPC power 16
4x Write Strategy field 1 0D 0F 0B 0B
4x Write Strategy field 2 97 08 0F 0B
4x Write Strategy field 3 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 05
4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 1B
4x Write Strategy field 4 13 A8 89 65
4x Write Strategy field 5 B6 89 88 80 00 00
4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 22A47Fh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

Well i got home today , and booted my comp and all i got was a black screen . Its the third time , this has happened . First time was when i flashed the drive i got a bluescreen (bod?) but that disappeared before i could properly see what it all said and then the screen turned black . I had to powerdown the psu to get any response from my system that time . The two other times pressing the reset button did the trick . Now for my actual point , all 3 times i had a disk present in the drive . It seems my BTC wont let my computer boot when i leave a disk in it bout 50% of the time .

@all , i dont know how this thread sounds but i want you to know this isnt a rant/complain thread . I’m merely sharing my experiences i had with the BTC , i briefly owned a liteon 411S and had the same problematic experiences .(though it never made my system not boot or hang)

@marco , I really would like your oppinion on a few of the issues in this thread .
-Flashing the drive with a disk inside : Harmfull , plain stupid , … what are your views on what can happen doing this ? (ie Do i return it and ask for a new drive cause maybe i harmed it in some way)
-The not booting when leaving a disk inside (2 times it was a badly burned disk , 1 time an old divx movie on CD which wont run proper on my toshiba dvd-rom anymore . )
-What steps should i take to try and resolve my stability problems : 50% of my burnattempts ended in a nasty system hang which need a PSU powerdown to get it booting again . Most of those where after i changed my UDMA setting from the bios default setting of the drive ULTRADMA4 to the on this site advised ULTRADMA2 .
-nforce2 has its own non-windows IDE drivers (SW or something) , i havent tried uninstalling these but can these be the problem ?

tnx in advance

joris

I’m hopefull to getting this drive working properly after going to a m8 of mine . I took along some of my emtec disks to try them on his setup .
We ripped a friends DVD (series) using smartripper2.41 and used nero 6.0.0.0 (or.28 not sure he upgraded or not) to burn the files to one of my emtec disks . He has allready upgraded to FW047 and we achieved a successfull burn :smiley: . So all i got to do now is set up my machine like he has and try it again . I’m very sceptic in believing the firmware is what made the difference , he was successfully burning .68 euro no brand disks on 040.
His no brand disks mediacode:

Media code/Manufacturer ID LONGTEN 001
Format Capacity Not Formatted
Free Blocks 412352512
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps

***note , these havent been tested in any other drive then the actuall BTC in which they work

We both have a nforce2 ultra400 mobo , he’s got the ABIT NF7-S i’m on the DFI NFII ultra lanparty REVB . We both use winXP SP1 and nero 6.0.0.xx . Differences are : i got a soundblaster audigy card installed , he’s on older nforce drivers 2.45 instead of 3.13 and he hasnt! got the nforce2 IDE/ATA WS drivers installed . I also downloaded every availeble update through windows update , he only downloads the vitals . He didnt install the .NET extras and more relevant the HighMat addon for CD burning .
His BTC is the only drive on master primary IDE , nothing on secondary . His (and mine) HD is sata . So i’m gonna reformat and rebuild my system to his specs and try again , if the drive still wont burn i’ll exchange it for a new one claming this one is faulty .
I’ll keep you updated on how it goes .

Hey xpr-k,

Maybe before you format everything you should replace his drive with yours and see if it works on his computer. :bigsmile:

Flashing with a disc inside the drive ? No problem ! I do it all the time.

About all your problems, hangups, etc., these are inexplicable problems that I doubt have any direct relation to your DRW1004. If I were you I’d seriously consider trying another more powerful powersupply.

Also try cleaning up your system, removing all burning software, not only by using the ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS option in Windows’ Control Panel, but also by going to your PROGRAM FILES directory of Windows and removing the whole Ahead subdirectory and other directories that are related to any burning software. After that, restart the system, install V0047 firmware (you can get it from me support@btceurope.nl), install Nero and get the latest Nero 5.5.10.58 update as well.

You might also check out your cable arrangement:
http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/howto_connect_ide_hd.html is a great resource that you might want to take a look at.

Let me know how you get along.

Marco
BTC Europe Support

the psu is not the issue , i’m on an antec 480 bluepower . The systemhangs only occurred after i installed the drive , and mostly while i was burning . As said earlier , most of those hangs where after i changed my UDMA setting to ultradma2 . I only had 1 hang after i switched it back . 1 thing is for sure though , its idd not the drive thats the issue on its own . I went to a m8 of mine with my drive today and we burned a ‘successfull’ emtec disk on it . Successfull being , it was hardly accesseble at first but i kept trying to access the files on it and after a while i succeeded in copying them to my HD . Its weird and my M8 has mentioned this before , sometimes it seems like the disks need a cooldown period before the drive can read em . He’s had disk he couldnt access until the next day :s . tomorrow (if my head hurts a little less , i’m gonna reformat my windows partition and set up my system the way he has . I’m sure i’ll get it working in the end , better media and some settings tweaking should do it imo . ow BTW marco weird question perhaps but you confirm the right jumper setting for master on the BTC . My m8 had his jumper set to the left cause he says master is always on the left , i had it set to the right cause it says master above those two pins . Just curious what the true setting is .

xpr-k,

I have one system where the UDMA setting is set to mode 4, the other where it’s set to mode 2.

The master/slave settings are mentioned on the back of the drive. You have to read from top to bottom, so MA = Master, SL = Slave.

Marco
BTC Europe Support

Hi at all, im looking for answers of my questions - now i´m here!
I have nearest the same problems like xpr-k, my btc 1004 works not fine for me. I tried to burn a cd-r and it failed - my system hangs up during lead in - i tried an other cd-r medium with the same result. I think, the problem ist the nForce IDE driver, with installed SW driver the system hangs up during lead in. I´ve reinstalled the windows standard ide driver, now i kann burn cd-r´s max. 8-11x ! On the sw driver dma is setting to UDMA 4, changes to UDMA2 takes not effect - system is hanging at lead in.On the windows standard driver the transfer mode is set do PIO and can´t be changed to an onther transfer mode like UDMA!
Then i tried out an other motherboard with the KT266A chip set - the BTC works fine with UDMA 2 and burns cd-r´s with about 32x, it´s limited by the other hardware of the test system, i think!

Conclusion: - anywhere is a communication problem between the BTC burner and the nForce2 Ultra400 chipset/ IDE driver!

My hardware:
GA7-NNXP
XP3200+
2x256Mb Mushkin LevelII PC3500
IDE primary master WD 800JB
IDE secondary master BTC 1004
2xWD 800BB @ RAID0 onboard Raid controller

Has anyone an idea, how my BTC works fine for me ?

Thx flatbrain

PS : Sorry for my english, school is about 10 years ago… :wink:

yeah i noticed that pio thing to when uninstalling the SW drivers , it only happened on my DVD-ROM though . My friend has a BTC on a nforce2 400 mobo (ABIT NF7-S) , his drive seems to work fine though . I gave up on the BTC and returned it , i’m gonna buy myself a phlips DVD-737 dvd/divx player and continue encoding movies to Xvid/divx . I’m keeping my eyes on these forums , and i’ll concider buying a DVD-burner when the technology has matured a bit .