Big labels are ******, and DRM is dead - Peter Jenner

Few people know the music industry better than Peter Jenner. Pink Floyd’s first manager, who subsequently managed Syd Barrett’s solo career, Jenner has also looked after T.Rex, The Clash, Ian Dury, Disposable Heroes and Billy Bragg - who he manages today. He’s also secretary general of the International Music Managers Forum.

And he doesn’t pull his punches.

Story:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/03/peter_jenner/

:cool: :cool:

Interesting article.
A system of open P2P sharing of music would be great - just allows communication and exploring of many different music styles, rather than making music a more restricted commodity. Who knows if it will ever happen…

I am fed up with DRM; so much so that I tend to buy second hand vinyl, and only CDs that have no DRM on, or CDs from indie labels. Instead of P2P, I tend to listen to streamed audio online.

He sure is a bloke that calls a spade a spade … well … more like a bloke that calls a spade a F@#$ing shovel.

So … he’s proposing that … everyone subscribes to music, like a tax & you come down on people hard, if they don’t pay it :wink:

Also not the perfect solution, but it works for me, considering the following:

The RIAA & general music industry will stagnate … what is the incentive for searching for more music talent, when they can sit on their arses and wait for the money to roll in from existing music from the last 70 years? Which is what they are doing now anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

And then there will be the squabbles about who gets the money … and how much & they’ll spend it all in legal arguments with eachother, like cats in a sack :stuck_out_tongue:

In the end, the big companies will rip eachother to shreds, until they are nothing but large legal departments & we’ll be left with all the independants, where the artists get a fair share of the money.

Woot!
The start of a utopian society where everyone gets their fair share depending on their contribution to society, rather than whose daddy runs the company & can promote you up the ranks to an obscure management position with a big paycheck & ability to take advantage of everyone elses hard yakka.

Bring it on!

He’s also a guy organising an event that he wants people to attend - a reactionary viewpoint will always get publicity.

Exactly like the UK tv license… maybe I’ve been brainwashed to think this is ok, but it seems like a good idea to me.
However, he doesn’t seem to have thought through payment of royalties / dues to companies and artists under different regional juristictions etc. Those are the kind of business issues that make such a system difficult from a corporate perspective. As you point out though, the squabbles between music corps. will be kind of amusing… assuming they don’t agree an “unofficial” boycott of such a system, which would kill it at the start.
(I also think that it was part of his “sit up and take note” pitch for conference attendees)

Hah Commrade.au !! The Trotskyite proletarian music revolution will soon crush these bourgeois music executives!! :wink: :flower:

Together we will crush the infidels … wait … what division were you again?

DRM will die when people refuse to spend money on anything with DRM in it. Anything short of that, I don’t see it going away anytime soon.

Money talks.