BH14NS40 & WH14NS40 Questions

vbimport

I know the difference between the drives, OEM & Retail but posted this way to help others find it.

These drives are on sale at what seems to be a reasonable price. I’ve bought Lite-on drives after my first CD Burner which was an Artec.

This will be my first Blu-ray and I see it has BDXL and M-Disc which most do not. I’ve read everything I can find and it is my understanding that it does not allow bitsetting and is not riplocked. Is the bitsetting related to the Mediatek chipset or just firmware?

I’ve been around here for quite awhile reading and never posted. I have to make two posts to see the scans.

I have a couple other questions. Is Lite-on expected or have they announced a BDXL drive that I have missed and are you guys happy with this LG drive?

I know there will be better sales but I do need to clean out my HDD and back up a lot of stuff. I built a new desktop and copied the old IDE HDD into a folder to have everything available on the new computer without having to worry about leaving anything behind. It has files from the 80’s.

I plan to back up the whole mess to BD so I don’t miss anything and use DVD for individual backup from there, photos, music etc.

Well I ordered one of these and will see what it can do. I have a FTA satellite receiver that can record 1080 to a USB HDD and have a 750GB and 500GB I’ve been recording on for quite some time.

I’m going to start with data backup and these video files so I have plenty to test it out on.

Sorry for the lack of reply.

I don’t have personal experience w/ the WH14, yet.

I imagine we will see a BDXL burner from Lite-on.

Using ImgBurn with verification is advisable for back-ups.

I recommend conservative burn speeds to start with, particularly for data back-ups.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2655841]Sorry for the lack of reply.

I don’t have personal experience w/ the WH14, yet.

I imagine we will see a BDXL burner from Lite-on.

Using ImgBurn with verification is advisable for back-ups.

I recommend conservative burn speeds to start with, particularly for data back-ups.[/QUOTE]

It is ok…Just surprises me no one said anything good or bad! A guy or piece of hardware can usually attract at least a flamer pretty fast…

Yeah, I know Liteon will come out with one but I just can’t wait and this may be a really decent drive. I have a 1TB Seagate that will be two years old at the first of the year and I’m getting nervous. I do have really important stuff backed up here and there but want one that I can easily restore and depend on.

It will be running on a 955 X4 @ 4Ghz with Mandriva 2010 & Win7. I also ordered a SSD which will also be here and when I swap that into the computer I really want a backup.

At this time I’ll be installing Mageia 2 as the Linux OS.

[QUOTE=yankee495;2655861]It is ok…Just surprises me no one said anything good or bad! A guy or piece of hardware can usually attract at least a flamer pretty fast…

Yeah, I know Liteon will come out with one but I just can’t wait and this may be a really decent drive. I have a 1TB Seagate that will be two years old at the first of the year and I’m getting nervous. I do have really important stuff backed up here and there but want one that I can easily restore and depend on.

It will be running on a 955 X4 @ 4Ghz with Mandriva 2010 & Win7. I also ordered a SSD which will also be here and when I swap that into the computer I really want a backup.

At this time I’ll be installing Mageia 2 as the Linux OS.[/QUOTE]I’m also surprised at the lack of response:confused:. I know a few of our members have this drive, and I haven’t seen anything to discourage someone from trying it:).

Very wise looking to back up that drive at this point. And very nice to have BD-R available now to help keep from having that storage shelf falling off the wall from the weight of discs as you back up big HDDs :). You may want to check around the optical media forum for good BD-R choices for your archives.

I would love to hear your experience with the SSD when you get it fired up :). Truly a paradigm shift for me.

@yankee495 - Sorry for the lack of responses, but better late than never. I have the BH14NS40 drive, and it’s a good drive. Burns well on the MIDs I’ve tried so far, and as you mentioned it does support M-DISC and BDXL. Reading of commercial BDs is reasonably fast. It is a little on the noisy side, and doesn’t seem quite as sturdy as the 12x LGs. However, it’s a nice drive. I still prefer my Pio BDR-207D for important burns, but that’s just my preference. You’ll be fine with the LG. As Dean mentioned, 4-6x is a good starting point for testing your new drive. Enjoy!

The SSD is a Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III for $60.

The disks are Optical Quantum 25GB 4X BD-R OQBDR04LT 25 pack that came with a combo from the egg.

The reviews are hit and miss and allowing 10% for those that have slow computers, eat Cheetos and try to burn at MAX+, I think a reasonably fast computer with clean fingers at 4-6x might work pretty good.

I could’ve gotten the drive for $60 or $71 with the disks, so I thought for $11 it would be a good chance to test the disks.

I built this computer in January of 2011 and it is not done yet. The 120GB SSD is a temporary until I get a Sandisk Extreme 240GB (I hope for $99 this BF/CM) and then the 120GB will be for Linux and the 240GB for that hog we call Windows, and the 1TB HDD will become totally for storage.

Here is the computer: http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/3960066

So I got a great deal on the SSD and the LG, but it is gonna cost me a diamond to boot…you married guys know what I mean.

I have been in computers since I was 15 and I’m 48, so, I study everything before I buy it. I told my wife I studied her before I married her and that cost me a diamond too! Hehehe…

No, really. Some people think a drive is a drive and they are not as you all know.

Anyway, you guys have the best info on the drive and as you can see I was here a long time ago, passing through and never posted…but I been keepin’ an eye on you kids…

I had to make two posts before it would let me see the scans of the LG so I thought I’d try to contribute something when this thing arrives even if it is negative. I look for negative and judge the source to make my decisions and you guys got nominated as a source of information…

This is where I read about the bitsetting and I really don’t know…I guess a chipset could block it…why? You never know with this copy protection and stuff and I thought maybe I missed something. I hope FW will fix this drive up to be a champ even if better ones come out later.

My DVD burner is a iHAS224 B version…Worth more now then when I bought it two years ago! Look it up if you don’t know…

And to think, I’m not a gamer or have an Xbox.

Also I chose these disks over the 25 pack Rosewill as the Rosewill had more negative reviews by quite a margin.

Be prepared for a nice bump in performance when you start booting from that SSD :clap:.

We’ve had a bit of experience with the quality of the BD-Rs that Optical Quantum is buying and packaging. Have a look here and here and consider very carefully before you trust anything important on them. As OQ doesn’t actually make any discs, you may get something other than the 4x PHILIPR04 discs they have been selling. Let us know what media code shows up on the discs you get? If you choose to gamble on them, it would be wise to use verification with your burning software and run a transfer rate test on the burns to look for serious error problems that would lead to a short lifespan for them. Without a drive capable of BD-R quality scanning, you may want to look around the forum for the scans of others on whichever media OQ ends up giving you.

Looks like a very capable rig :). I have an 870/X6 machine that handles video duties quite well also.

My time in the world of computers is very close to yours ;). I also research things to death before I jump in :slight_smile:

Glad you came by to talk about your entry into BD-R.

Us “kids” keep very busy keeping tabs on drive and media manufacturers ;).

The ability to bit-set a DVD+R or DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM is only required if you have a standalone/set-top player that is not capable to play movies from DVD+R. It has been many years since I had to worry about that. It has no effect on playback with your computer drives. Not related to copy protection. Just a way to ensure playback ability on older set-top players that didn’t have the ability to recognize a DVD+R disc. It is a firmware feature, and if the BH14 doesn’t currently support it, it’s certainly possible that a fix for that may arise around here.

I’m fond of the iHAS as well.

These quality issues really suck. I bought some Cendyne DVD-R’s from computer geeks and the MID matches that of some Verbatim MID’s. They have been good disks but need to get some DVD-R’s soon.

I did see that the OC disks might be garbage and might be decent disks. Even if I get good ones you guys can’t order any as they might be different.

I don’t know how they get by with this crap. Probably because most people don’t know the technicalities of media and burners.

I do have one question. This drive does not scan. Is that FW or does Opti Drive Control need an update to use the drive?

I would like to do quality scans and I already decided if I do not like the LG and can most likely sell it for most of my money back.

There is not a lot of info on review sites etc. I just forgot about Blu-ray until the prices dropped a bit and speeds increased. I never jump on the band wagon so to speak.

It seems to me the Blu-ray market didn’t take of as they thought. It also seems to me it might do better if they would stop the flow of this crap media.

But, it goes all the way back to tape recording media, be it cassette or VHS etc. A tape is not a tape. Back in the day I liked the TDK’s pretty good but it was certain ones.

Remember those 10 packs hanging in the check out isle at Wal-mart for like $3? Yeah, those were really good cassettes! NOT!

Anyway, why can’t this drive scan? Where does the problem lie?

Yeah, the disc quality problem never changes. Its no different with Blu-ray. Big range of quality grades coming from many manufacturers. With many MIDs you might be getting good or garbage.

I guess they get by with it because they’ve been doing it to us for so long that many people at the retail level consider it normal to deal with coasters. And stubbornly continue to think they’re better off saving $3.00.

Good info about which BD-R are the most trustworthy is very hard to find. One reason for that is even the big names like Sony or TDK are packaging BD-Rs made by other manufacturers. Its a royal pain. Stick around here to keep up with who’s got the good stuff :).

Cassettes at the check-out counter. Man, that takes me back :bigsmile:. Didn’t know better till I got my first real stereo. Then it was BASF chrome and TDK all the way :).

OptiDriveControl works with Mediatek chip BD drives like Lite-ons. No go for LG or Pioneer drives. BUT, the LG WH14 is the first BD-R drive from LG to have a Mediatek chipset in it. It is a new chipset that is not supported by ODC yet. I don’t know if it ever will be. By all indications, it is a good burner.

I’m hoping it’s a good reader. Picked up the WH14NS40 with the stuff I bought for my HTPC.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2656023] Stick around here to keep up with who’s got the good stuff :).

Cassettes at the check-out counter. Man, that takes me back :bigsmile:. Didn’t know better till I got my first real stereo. Then it was BASF chrome and TDK all the way :).

OptiDriveControl works with Mediatek chip BD drives like Lite-ons. No go for LG or Pioneer drives. BUT, the LG WH14 is the first BD-R drive from LG to have a Mediatek chipset in it. It is a new chipset that is not supported by ODC yet. I don’t know if it ever will be. By all indications, it is a good burner.[/QUOTE]

Very good answer and exactly why I had to ask. I read that it had a new Mediatek chipset and was the first LG to use any Mediatek chipset.

I hope Optidrive issues an update to support it. I like to have all the features even if I may never use it. Like my iHAS224 flashed to a 624 with Labeltag. It works though I may not use it much.

I forgot all about BASF…

OK, I put in the first blank BD-R from the Optical Quantum’s that came with the drive. Here is the info as reported my Imgburn. It looks like I got the culls. So these are hardly worth the juice to burn them?

MID: PHILIP-R04-000
Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x

BD Disc Information:
Disc ID: PHILIP-R04-000
Disc Type: BD-R
Disc Size: 120mm
Disc Class: 0
Disc Version: 1
Number of Layers: 1
Layer Type: Writable
DVD Layer Present: No
CD Layer Present: No
Channel Bit Length: 74.50nm (25GB Per Layer)
Push-Pull Polarity: Positive
Recorded Mark Polarity: HTL
BCA Present: Yes
Maximum Transfer Rate: Not Specified
First PAA of Data Zone: 131,072
Last PAA of Data Zone: 1,658,494

Format Capacities:
DT: 0x01 - NB: 12219392 (0x00BA7400) - TDP: 200704
FT: 0x00 - NB: 11826176 (0x00B47400) - TDP: 12288
FT: 0x32 - NB: 11826176 (0x00B47400) - TDP: 0
FT: 0x32 - NB: 5796864 (0x00587400) - TDP: 0
FT: 0x32 - NB: 12088320 (0x00B87400) - TDP: 0

Performance (Write Speed):
Descriptor 1…
-> B0: 0x00, B1: 0x00, B2: 0x00, B3: 0x00
-> EL: 12219391 (0x00BA73FF)
-> RS: 26,976 KB/s (6x) - WS: 17,984 KB/s (4x)
Descriptor 2…
-> B0: 0x08, B1: 0x00, B2: 0x00, B3: 0x00
-> RS: 26,976 KB/s (6x) - WS: 26,976 KB/s (6x)
Descriptor 3…
-> B0: 0x08, B1: 0x00, B2: 0x00, B3: 0x00
-> RS: 26,976 KB/s (6x) - WS: 35,968 KB/s (8x)

[QUOTE=yankee495;2656582]OK, I put in the first blank BD-R from the Optical Quantum’s that came with the drive. Here is the info as reported my Imgburn. It looks like I got the culls. So these are hardly worth the juice to burn them?

MID: PHILIP-R04-000
Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x[/QUOTE]

Here’s where it gets sticky, and why I’ve been steering people away from OQ. If you happened to get an almost decent batch, burn them at a very conservative speed, and verify your burns as well as making sure you have silky smooth TRTs, I still can’t tell you in good conscience that you have reasonably safe back-ups. My own PHILIPR04 burns seemed to degrade rather more quickly than most over time, and our member Jamescooley1 just posted some check-up scans on Kodak PHILIPR04, which have actually been one of the better burning R04s. At 5 months old, pretty shaky, at 10 months old in post #15 of that thread, fast approaching unreadable.

Its your call, but I wouldn’t burn anything on those that you can’t afford to lose.

I looks like M-Disc is going to be the only way to really save and depend on stuff. That really sucks…I installed my SSD and done a full install. It has 37GB on it and will probably reach 40 and I was hoping to be able to use one disk with compression for a backup.

I am about done installing my most used stuff and need to clean temp files and stuff that is not needed. I don’t wanna do this again. If it crashes I could just restore it to a good working state and then add any new stuff not in the backup.

I imported over 20,000 emails which I need to sort too.

What program do you recommend to use to back it up? I am going to unplug the SSD (120GB) and plug in a 160GB SATA to test the restore. I’m on the hunt for some GOOD disks…

I have Imgburn but have not ever used it. I used it for the first time to burn a OQ disk and it has Mageia, Win7 and Mandriva images on it and most of my other stuff. It burned good (no Errors at 6x) and I have no way to scan it, but from what you just showed me I think I should do it again.

M-disc is a clever concept that turned into a cheaply made reality. The discs I bought leave me with the impression that they won’t be lasting any longer than most any cheap disc you could buy. They scratch VERY easily, and several of the discs that I received had small globs of bonding around the recording side edge. The factory that’s producing them isn’t making long-lasting discs. Sloppy, shoddy looking discs.

Two companies(possibly 3) are making BD-R that have passed 50+ year accelerated aging tests. Falcon and Panasonic. The least expensive Falcons are SmartBlu’s at MediaMegaMall. My own are coming up on 2 years old and looking trustworthy. The same for Panasonics, available on E-bay. Sony 6x NN3 have showed up on a couple independent tests now for good longevity, but I don’t dare tell anyone to buy them. Sony is packaging Ritek discs in some of their spindles, and it gets too darn complicated trying to find the real thing.

For now, you could make a point of burning 2 copies, and run a transfer rate test on them at least every 6 months. As soon as you see some dips in the read speed graph, re-burn them. Imgburn is a very good choice for burning your back-ups.

Thanks Dean…I should’ve known that someone was making crappy M-Disc too…what a bummer. I had seen backup in control pannel but never played with it because I didn’t have a good way to back up a whole TB.

Now I have the SSD fresh installed with most software that I will use and can make an image of that. The LG is going to be where I put a copy that is not in the machine.

My TB drive is ok according to SMART and I’m going to backup an image to that and can redo it if I need to. I sure don’t want to go through a Win install again.

I appreciate your (and others) help. I read so much my eyes almost bleed and sometimes it is easier to ask a simple question.

I’ll look them disks up.

There is new Firmware available here:

Release Date 04/23/2013

I have the WH14NS40. Can you cossflash these drives to the new BH16NS40 or BH16NS48?

What are the differences between the 14x and 16x drives besides the 16x BD-R speed?

I already flashed to the newest FW.

[QUOTE=yankee495;2686013]There is new Firmware available here:

Release Date 04/23/2013

I have the WH14NS40. Can you cossflash these drives to the new BH16NS40 or BH16NS48?

What are the differences between the 14x and 16x drives besides the 16x BD-R speed?

I already flashed to the newest FW.[/QUOTE]

I do not know if you can cross flash them and if you could I am not sure that you would want to since the BH16NS40 and BH16NS48 are riplocked (as far as I have read).

If you could remove the riplock from the newer drives that would be great however I have not found anything suggesting that this is possible.