BH10LS30 crossflash problem

vbimport

Hi,

long time reader and first time poster :).

I need assistance cross-flashing my LG BR reader please. I’m getting an offset error when I try to write my firmware… not sure if I’m missing a step or what.

I have a LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 running 1.01 f/w. I used MCSE to disable riplock ages ago and have been happy enough with it.

I’d like to cross flash to the BH12LS30 to enable faster ripping.

None of the links work in the previous threads on here so I have been trying to piece this together myself.

What I have done so far:

downloaded “flasher” from sourceforge.

1. extracted “core” and “main” f/w as backup

2. downloaded BH12LS30.exe f/w and using Flasher:

• extracted core/main .bin files.
  3. used a Hex editor to change the header in the main.bin from “BH12LS30” to “BL10LS30” as advised here (http://club.myce.com/f91/flash-bh10ls30-bh12ls30-320353/) at post 7.

4. used MCSE to disable riplock

5. Tried using flasher to write the new firmware.

I get an error and the below message:

G:\Flasher>flasher -d 1 -f Main_bh12LS30_L101.exe_speedpatched.bin
Devilsclaw’s LG Renesas Drive Utility
cmd_drive: Opening Drive: 1.
drive_open: Cannot open device c.
drive_open: Cannot open device d.
drive_open: Cannot open device e.
drive_open: Cannot open device f.
drive_open: Cannot open device g.
drive_open: Cannot open device h.
cmd_flashfirm: Flashing process started
firm_flasher: Drive should be flashing its light.
firm_flasher: This indicates its flashing its self.
firm_flasher: This can take a while, Please be patiant.
firm_flasher: Failed to write at 0x001E0000
firm_flasher: your drive should still be fine.
cmd_flashfirm: Flashing process failed

I have used the --Checksum option and it made no difference (do I just use --checksum or need to write in an actual checksum?? readme wasn’t clear).

Does the drive need to be placed into a state for f/w update? didn’t seem so from the post I linked…

Anyway if anyone can help I’d be happy :smiley:

Try these crossflash-ready files: http://www47.zippyshare.com/v/vv6cpGSd/file.html

Use the following commands (please note that switches are case sensitive) to crossflash:

flasher -D

If this command returns a drive ID different than 1, then use that number in the commands below (after the -d switch) instead of using 1.

flasher -d 1 -f BH10LS30@BH12LS30_1.01-C0_MAIN_crossflash.bin
flasher -d 1 -f BH12LS30_1.01-C0_CORE.bin

Thanks so much for uploading that for me :). Really appreciate it.

ok. the main FW wrote, however the Core f/w generated an error (does it need this written?).
Also, was riplock already removed from the main fw file?

After power off/on drive is seen as a BH12LS30 :slight_smile:
I did a quick test of a disk with MakeMKV

The error I got was:

G:\Flasher>flasher -d 1 -f BH12LS30_1.01-C0_CORE.bin
Devilsclaw’s LG Renesas Drive Utility
cmd_drive: Opening Drive: 1.
drive_open: Cannot open device c.
drive_open: Cannot open device d.
drive_open: Cannot open device e.
drive_open: Cannot open device f.
drive_open: Cannot open device g.
drive_open: Cannot open device h.
cmd_flashfirm: Flashing process started

firm_flasher: Drive should be flashing its light.
firm_flasher: This indicates its flashing its self.
firm_flasher: This can take a while, Please be patiant.
firm_flasher: Failed to write at 0x00000000
firm_flasher: your drive should still be fine.
cmd_flashfirm: Flashing process failed

meant to add: I patched the Main fw you provided with MCSE… and that installed ok,

Still not sure if I need the Core f/w installed to be getting the full drive speed for ripping and so forth?

Sorry, I forgot to say that a shut down needs to be performed after each flash operation. LG drives need a power cycle to complete a flash operation (on some computers a normal restart is not enough, because the mobo doesn’t cut the power to the drives so just to be safe please do a complete shut down, not just a normal restart/reboot).

Now that the main firmware was successfully flashed, all you need to do is do a shut down and then flash the core again. Flashing the core will remove even the last traces of the fact that this drive used to be a BH10LS30. After that your drive will be 100% BH12LS30 at all levels, and from that point onwards on you’ll obviously need to use BH12LS30 firmwares for this drive, old BH10LS30 firmwares will no longer work.

The firmware provided was ‘stock’ with no MCSE patches made to it, but obviously, as you did, there’s nothing to stop someone to use MCSE to patch the main firmware in some way before flashing it. If you want to do any additional patches later, download the official BH12LS30 firmware (or the main part only), patch it with MCSE and flash it to the drive. Once the crossflash was completed there’s no need to touch the core ever again.

All seems to have worked but I forgot to test a disk first and note the time to rip vs after FW update!

Not sure if/how much quicker it is…

@cvs
Can you provide me please the crossflash-ready files with a new zippyshare:
flasher -d 1 -f BH10LS30@BH12LS30_1.01-C0_MAIN_crossflash.bin
flasher -d 1 -f BH12LS30_1.01-C0_CORE.bin
Many thanks in advance :wink:

Sure, here they are:

BH10LS30 @ BH12LS30.zip (916.5 KB)

Thank you very much it works great, do you also have other firmwares to crossflash from a BH10LS30 to a

• BH12LS35/38 and/ or
  • WH10LS30 and/ or
  • WH12LS38/39 model -> and back
    i hope i’m not outrageous.
    I’ve downloaded all these firmwares, but i am to stupid to crossflash.

[quote=“TomyTulpe, post:10, topic:314152”]
Thank you very much it works great, do you also have other firmwares to crossflash from a BH10LS30 to a

• BH12LS35/38 and/ or
  • WH10LS30 and/ or
  • WH12LS38/39 model -> and back[/quote]

In terms of already made crossflash-ready firmwares, I’ve only got a BH10LS30 @ WH12LS39 pack made, and here it is:

BH10LS30 @ WH12LS39.zip (907.7 KB)

[quote=“TomyTulpe, post:10, topic:314152”]
i hope i’m not outrageous.[/quote]

What?? That’s completely outrageous! :bigsmile:

Now it just happens that someone just posted a detailed step by step tutorial that describes all the steps needed to generate any of the other firmware variations that you might fancy: An Enhanced Crossflashing Tutorial for Renesas-based LG Drives :givewink:

Since RPC1.org is no longer, and my original ‘how to’ core-crossflashing guide that I posted there is gone, I’ve been planning to post an enhanced version of it here for a while for those interested, and it was nearly ready for publishing for a while, but I just didn’t get around to do the final tweaks and post it…until now that is… it turns out that its day has finally come and today is that day, and it is all your fault, otherwise I might have sat on it for longer! :bigsmile:

Did we have still people here that have that burner and crossflahed him to Wh12Ls39 and DVD + DL Media with code Ricoh jpn D01 and/or DVD + DL Ritek S04? After i crossflahed him. The stop the burning at maybe 3-4 GB before layerswitch on ricoh and on the other Ritek Media at 1-2GB. Before i have done that i can burned this Media at 4,6 and 8x with not so bad results. And in one other thread i was reading that watching orginal blu-ray movies didnt work with the Ls39 firmware… Yeah its sadly true. But my Pio S-08 Xlt will do it now.

Both Ricoh jpn D01 and/or DVD + DL Ritek S04 are poor quality media best to be avoided if you care about your data. It is possible that because of the higher rated speed of the WH12LS39 compared to the original BH10LS30 (12x compared to 10x) write strategies have changed and that pushes marginal quality data like the one you mention over the edge…

Yes watching BluRay discs after crossflashing to WH12LS39 is a known side-effect (probably because the original WH12LS39 drives use different authentication keys than the rest), but using a piece of software like AnyDVD or similar will take care of that and you can watch any discs you like without any problems.

You can always crossflash back if you prefer. Generating the WH12LS39 to BH10LS30 crossflash-ready files is quite easy. Just follow the step by step instructions that I provided here: An Enhanced Crossflashing Tutorial for Renesas-based LG Drives

For a long time ago i figured out with programs like dvd identifier that even good named Manufactors like Sony change the Mids often…
For my example i have TDK and Sony Media with Ritek S04 and Intenso and TDK with Ricoh jpn D01. But if you dont have better Media like the Verbatim Mkm1 or Verbatim Mkm3 at the moment at home. You can only buy it in my town in south germany from Edeka DVD+r DL with MBI but it looks like the sell the rest at the moment. Or Intenso DVD+DL with Ricoh jpn d01 in a store called V-Market.
I have already dumped my main file Wh12ls39 with firmware 1.03 and the core too. If i upload it here or send it too you on other way. Can you please make the Hex things to convet it back to Bh10ls30?

OK, here are the files required to crossflash back from WH12LS39 to BH10LS30: WH12LS39 @ BH10LS30.zip (910.9 KB)

Just flash them as detailed in the tutorial (in the correct order, main one first then the core with a full shutdown in between and after) and that should crossflash your drive back to a BH10LS30. In other words, do step B1 to find your drive ID and then follow the steps from section C to crossflash.

While at it, in order to complete the loop, I also made a pack for crossflashing back from BH12LS30 to BH10LS30 just in case someone might want to do that for whatever reason: BH12LS30 @ BH10LS30.zip (910.9 KB)

Now both BH10LS30@WH12LS39 and BH10LS30@BH12LS30 crossflash packs have the complementary files ready to go back to the original BH10LS30 model should they wish to do so (without having to prepare the crossflash-ready firmwares themselves).

Thx for the great work!