Bf1942 - how to make a SMALL virtual image?

vbimport

Ok, I tried searching for an answer to this, but could only find some of the solution. Also, I’m not into the warez scene (and don’t want to be), so I’m totally out of all the software to use and forums to search, so bear with me…

I need a way to make a SMALL iso image out of my BF1942 original CD, so that I don’t have to play with the original disc in the cd-rom drive.

I don’t want to make full 650 MB image either. I read in another forum that it is possible to make the ISO image much smaller, but I can’t seem to be able to find that message anymore.

I don’t want to use no-cd cracks either.

I want a small ISO file that mounts quickly as a virtual drive, all done using freeware software (i.e. no cracks/illegal software, thanks).

My questions are:

• what software do I have to use to make a working copy (iso image?) of either plain BF1942 (non-deluxe), “Road to Rome” or “Secret Weapons” Original discs (yes, I have originals to all three)? What settings do I need to use?

• what files can I leave out to make the iso image as small as possible?

• what freeware software can I use to mount the iso image as a virtual drive (that emulates the copy protection mechanism and allows the BF1942 see the virtual drive as an actual original cd disc)?

I know there must be many of you out there who know an answer to this. Help an old man out, will you. I’m so behind the times that I can’t even find the answer to this using Google :slight_smile:

The drives I have for copying:

LiteOn 52327S
Plextor Premium
Optorite DD0401
LiteOn LDW-851S
Plextor PX-708A
Sony DDU-1621
LiteOn 165S

I’m sure one of those is up to the task, right?

cheers,
halcyon

PS If this is a wrong forum, please give me a pointer as where to ask for more info.

the multimedia (sound, video) files can be left out, but its a pain. and it would probably fail copy protection checks.

Well you ain’t gonna play it good with an ISO image(unless with emulation from Daemon Tools), and I wouldn’t really recommend deleting any files from the game. Better off to make an Alcohol 120% image and just burning it.

I don’t think you even read my message.

I talked about “mounting an image AS a virtual drive” (hence for example Daemon tools).

Also, I don’t want to burn anything. I already have the originals.

I just don’t want to use the original cd in the drive. I want a virtual drive that is

A) faster than cd-rom

B) doesn’t put a stress on my cd drive LIKE USING A REAL CD IN A REAL CD-ROM DRIVE DOES due to the lousy copy protection spinning up and down the disc all the time (with each level load!)

Unfortunately it seems that none of the people here know the answer. Guess I have to go elsewhere :slight_smile:

EDIT: Corrections due to nitpicking :slight_smile:

Well, i’m saying that you shouldn’t go around taking out files to save space. A CD is much more space-saving. Unless space is not an option, that’s about all you can do. You will need to create an image with something other than an .iso format, for eg. Alcohol 120%, and mount it on that.

Originally posted by Halcyon
[B]I talked about “mounting a virtual drive”

Unfortunately it seems that none of the people here know the answer. Guess I have to go elsewhere :slight_smile: [/B]

you dont mount a virtual drive - you mount an image file.

did your requirements change between posts? it no longer seems to be required to shrink the image. the image will not be 650 mb by default, rather, the image file will be as large as the amount of data on the disk. if the cd has 300 mb, it will be ~ 300 mb

there isnt a virtual drive out there that would stress your cdrom. unless you mount images that are actually on a cd.

to shrink = illegal 9x out of 10, because of the workarounds necessary within the executable for most. to simply play from a virtual drive - make an iso, and mount it each time you want to play.

Originally posted by ckin2001
the image file will be as large as the amount of data on the disk. if the cd has 300 mb, it will be ~ 300 mb

Well, actually it would be ~357 mb since the image file would have to be raw (~19% larger than original data source) to defeat the copy protection. :slight_smile:

Nobody knows (has tried) which files can be left out?

Nobody knows which program to make the iso image file in?

Nobody knows which freeware program to use to mount the image file as a virtual drive that works problem-free with BF1942?

Anyone?

Nobody knows (has tried) which files can be left out?
You should leave no files out

Nobody knows which program to make the iso image file in?
Use Alcohol 120%

Nobody knows which freeware program to use to mount the image file as a virtual drive that works problem-free with BF1942?
Use Daemon Tools

Anything else?

Yes, use Alcohol, but use Alcohol’s MDF and MDS files. Better for copy protections.

@Halcyon

I don’t think you really understand that it is quite hard and usually foolish to take files out of a game that the game might need to operate successfully. Even if you took one file out - be it whatever, it could cause a fault in the game and probably would freeze. There is no point in having a game image stored on your hard drive when it can be EASILY burned onto a CD.

Yes, I understand that perfectly, thank you.

However, as I know that it can be done, I’d rather save the space. But alas, I can’t find the instructions.

As for your last argument, I completely disagree and I have failed to make you understand why, so I won’t bother trying anymore.

Thanks for the answers!

But I know what you mean, and I probably know what files to take out, but I do not know the conquences.

Sorry we couldn’t help you, Halcyon.

No problem, you did already help me!

I’ll keep on trying to find the answer though.

I found one set of instructions for newbies like me, but it doesn’t include anything about which files can be left out:

http://www.arsclan.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=386

I will keep on searching.

The thing about this particular game is that all the files are compressed in setup CAB files, and are always unknown to WinRAR. I’ve looked at my CD of Battlefield and found only one thing which would be safe to remove - the Folder Earth_beyond.

and the last thing that people here talk about is editing cab files. i’d try www.fileforums.com - as they talk about things like that there.

Originally posted by Halcyon
I will keep on searching.
Please drop a post if you find a solution, others might benefit from it :wink: