BF1942 and new 52x24x52

Well, I just shoved one of those new Liteon 52x24x52 burners in my rig. I was able to finally make a backup of D2 LOD so I moved on to BF1942.
Well after 4 costers and several hours browsing this forum I was able to make a working copy.
The setting I used was the normal game CD in CloneCD.
Suprisingly enough that was the only one that worked.
I tried the SD2, SD 5.1(AWS), protected game CD all did not work.
I also tried to read and write the image but no go.
I have not tried to do a one to one using the game CD setting yet but I will.
It will not suprise me if it does not work though because my CDR, although 52x, is several years old.
CloneCD says:

“Device ATAPI 52X CDROM dosen’t support reading of 96 bytes subchannel data (CD+G)!”

and

"ATAPI 52X CDROM is not compatible with CloneCD Read Mode “Read Subchannel Data from Data Tracks and Extra Audio Info”

I don’t know what those 2 things mean exactly but my guess is that burning 1:1’s off this CDROM is a no go eh?

Can any one tell me what those messages really mean?

Thanks,
“g”

Originally posted by gtghm
Can any one tell me what those messages really mean?
It means your CD-ROM cannot read the so-called SubChannel Data from the disc. SubChannel Data is used to store extra information in such as CD-Text and such but it can also be used to store a digital signature in and be part of a protection (SecuRom for example). SafeDisc doesn’t use SubChannel Data so it shouldn’t make a difference for BF1942.

Thanks I did try doing a 1:1 copy of it using the 52x CDR and although it took forever using the CloneCD game CD settings it worked just fine.
I’ll keep that in mind if I want to copy a secureRom CD.

Cheers,
“g”

@GF:
It means that reading of 96 bytes is not supported! Reading of 16 subchannel bytes can still work in that drive…this is e.g. the case in the Pioneer DVR-A03: It will report exactly this message, but it can read 16 subchannel bytes.

I am pretty sure the Liteon 52246S supports subchannels and 96byte subs too

Originally posted by nealh
I am pretty sure the Liteon 52246S supports subchannels and 96byte subs too
Correct but gtghm’s error was generated with the 'ATAPI 52X CDROM ’ and not the LiteOn :wink: