Beware: Verbatim branded CMC DVD-R 8x "Pearl White" Media - Made in Taiwan

vbimport

hi,

i’ve just bought a 25x box of the above mentioned media. to my surprise these discs are made by cmc magnetics and have there media-id aswell. so no mcc media-id anymore. did anyone tried these discs before? i guess that would be a step back regarding the quality of the verbatim discs. btw. the new box is labeled Verbatim Corporation 2005 - A Mitsubishi Kagaku Media Company and Pearl White

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:CMC MAG. AE1]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
0000 : 01 40 c1 fd 9e d8 52 00  02 55 0d 0e 88 9a 80 00   .@....R..U......
0010 : 03 43 4d 43 20 4d 41 00  04 47 2e 20 41 45 31 00   .CMC MA..G. AE1.
0020 : 05 88 80 00 00 00 02 00  06 09 0d 11 87 78 90 00   .............x..
0030 : 07 88 80 00 00 00 00 00  08 05 15 0d 0f 0a 09 00   ................
0040 : 09 97 07 0f 0b 7c 88 00  0a 80 00 00 00 00 10 00   .....|..........
0050 : 0b 05 1b 13 a8 89 65 00  0c b6 89 88 80 00 00 00   ......e.........
0060 : 0d 00 00 d0 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00                    ............    

btw. attached you can find my 1st scan, burned w/pio & nero v6.3.1.25 @ 8x
(not bad actually, but i’ve seen better or actually fewer total pif’s in the past)

/regards

This is not a huge shocker.
Verbatim has also used CMC coded discs in the past.
(Many of Verbatims on MCC coded discs are actually manufactured by CMC).
Nonetheless, thanks for the new info!

I wouldn’t call it a step backward. I can’t remember that last MCC I had that wasn’t made by CMC. Some drives may not like CMC MID’s, but it’s consistant and burns very well in the right drive. I don’t think I’d want to pay top dollar for some fancy discs and see CMC though, which is why I buy TY. :wink:

CMC has improved much infact incombination with the right burners they can perform as good as TY or MCC.

Your scan also proofs this I’ve seen much worse results comming from genuine TY and MCC.
Also I’m not suprised. MKM is stopping own 8x media production why the market still wants 8x printable Verbatim/MCC media so they might have chosen to fill the demand with CMC which is acceptable I think as long as the quality controle is still tight and the media has the same waranty.

By the way what’s the reorder number of these pearl white’s ?

Man that is a major let-down. I realize that CMC has been producing discs for Verbatim for a while but the MCC media ID codes definitely stood out from the CMC Mag codes for quality and dependability. So at this point there is almost no difference between buying these and Memorex.

Reorder-No. 43553

btw. rdgrimes, i used to buy ty aswell until i got myself some tyg03. very poor results over here :frowning:

unfortunately 8x tyg02 are hard to find over here and i don’t buy dvdr’s online anymore.

i used to buy ty aswell until i got myself some tyg03. very poor results over here

Maybe because your burners don’t support the 16x media?

Where are you located? I can still find 4x and 8x TYs just fine here in the US.

Best Buy has 16x Verbs on sale tomorrow for 9.99USD. I can’t wait to drive 20 miles to get CMC discs. Maybe I will get lucky and get the old stock.

Nice find. If I could trust store brand media in spindles I would buy some. Given my luck though, I won’t even waste the gas to go pick them up.

This media code is an 8x CMC code. Best Buy has 16x on sale tomorrow, we will see if this is the case with the 16x media.

This media code is an 8x CMC code. Best Buy has 16x on sale tomorrow, we will see if this is the case with the 16x media.

i don’t think you got it right. these are new disc’s, called ‘pearl white’. i’ve attached a pic:

As long as you make sure the Verbatim packaging refers to AZO dye or is named Datalife Plus etc versus names like Valuelife, you will get actual Verbatim media code discs and not CMC stuff.

Lie what has been said above, CMC DVD media is very nice quality compared to their CD-R crap. If the CMC discs don’t burn with good results, from my experience burning CMC DVD media on many drives, the problem is your firmware and not the media itself. They burn with very nice quality but don’t expect the final results to be “burn quality hall of fame” material like MCC and TY code discs. I hate CMC CD-R media but I have no problems with CMC DVD media as long as I am not paying Verbatim MCC code / AZO prices for it.

Unfortunately as someone noted earlier, you do get CMC code DVD media under brands like Memorex, so paying Verbatim prices for CMC code discs is definitely not a good value. I have also purchased TDK printable surface DVD+R 8x media which is CMC media code. CMC seems to be the major producer of printable white media for a lot of good name brands.

As long as you make sure the Verbatim packaging refers to AZO dye or is named Datalife Plus etc

yeah, it’s azo, but without advanced or super tag :wink:

Well it’s not like MKM does that much production anyway, aside from dual layer. Most of the MCC-code media is made in Taiwan by CMC these days.

cmc ae1’s are by far the best cmc media id media cmc makes, (not including mcc and all the other codes cmc makes for other people)

Doesn’t count any more because some verbatim departments are allready not usseing this qualificiation based on the fact that the quality differences are to small.

Lie what has been said above, CMC DVD media is very nice quality compared to their CD-R crap. If the CMC discs don’t burn with good results, from my experience burning CMC DVD media on many drives, the problem is your firmware and not the media itself. They burn with very nice quality but don’t expect the final results to be “burn quality hall of fame” material like MCC and TY code discs. I hate CMC CD-R media but I have no problems with CMC DVD media as long as I am not paying Verbatim MCC code / AZO prices for it.[/quote]
Correction here. CMC uses the same MCC AZO pigment.
Really there is not that much technical differences.
Fact is that some drives like MCC code more and overspeed higher and that MCC normal media has a better quality controle and waranty.
That’s why I said the media should have same waranty and support.

Unfortunately as someone noted earlier, you do get CMC code DVD media under brands like Memorex, so paying Verbatim prices for CMC code discs is definitely not a good value. I have also purchased TDK printable surface DVD+R 8x media which is CMC media code. CMC seems to be the major producer of printable white media for a lot of good name brands.

Fact is that CMC has proven to be able to make very good media at prices which MCC and TDK can not make themselves. Now they could say we will use you as OEM however at the moment it’s even cheaper to buy directly from CMC and with the quality that close this is acceptable.
Really if there’s one companny on the market which made huge progress then it’s CMC.
Why do you think they got most of the big OEM orders in the first place ?

I was a little to fast. What I mend was that MCC/MKM has stopped complete production of 8x media includeing production by OEM’s.
There are no new 8x MCC MID coded stampers being produced and there just selling the stock what is left.
Verbatim/MKM switched to 16x media a couple of months ago. However the market is still asking verbatim/MKM for special forms of 8x media.
So what can they do.
A Say no and loose customers.
B Restart production -would be expensive !!!
C Buy a product from there OEM’s of the shelves. -Which is the cheapest sollution.

From all the compannies who make media for Verbatim CMC isn’t the worst sollution.

I realize that but as mentioned above, what is the point of paying for the Verbatim (MCC) label when you can get CMC Mag discs for less. Verbatim discs as a whole tend to be more expensive, it was worth paying the extra price for Verbatim when you were getting MCC (even if they were made by CMC or Prodisc for a while). I don’t think that given the price, there is a single person here who wouldn’t take an MCC stack of Verbatims over a CMC stack of Verbatims for the same price. It is true that CMC seems to be doing better but given the price of TY media (and up until recently MCC media) at under 50 cents a disc on a regular basis IMHO it just isn’t worth it.

CMC MAG E01 seems to be a reasonable media … not all drives like all variations of the disks though, but I have decent results with it on my LG and Benq driver.