Beware of burning some Verbatim 4x DVD+ at 8x

I burned serveral Verbatim DVD+R (Printable Surface ReorderNo.43232) 4x at 8x with my Plextor 708A without problems. The Media code was always MMC-002-00.

Now i bought a new Pack of Verbatim 43232 DVD+R and 3 DVD’s failed to read after bruning them at 8x. I checked their Media code and it was MBIGP101-R03-00.

Then i opened some other 10piece boxes and in every box there were 3 of those MBI and 7 of the MMC DVD+.

The bad thing is that my plextor thinks the MBI could also be burned at 8x.

So check the manufacturer id before burning 4x-Verbatim with 8x.

What is the country of origin shown on those ten packs?

it’s india -> so they should be Moser Baer India Ltd.

they are correctly burned at 4x but should not be used at 8x with plextor 708a FW 1.04

the good ones are from singapore

The Singapore factory only makes 8x discs now.

So 4x verbatim DataLifePlus media is made by:

“Made in Japan” on package = Taiyo Yuden and with Taiyo Yuden ID.

“Made in Taiwan” on package = CMC Magnetics but with Mitsubishi ID

“Made in India” on package = Moser Baer but with Mitsubishi ID.

So a mistake must have happened and some of your discs have Moser Baer’s own ID instead of Mitsubishis ID.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]
“Made in India” on package = Moser Baer but with Mitsubishi ID.

So a mistake must have happened and some of your discs have Moser Baer’s own ID instead of Mitsubishis ID. [/B]

well if it was a mistake, this is a well “planned” mistake, cause every 10piece package has 3-4 of those “not 8x burnable” MBIGP101 4x DVD+R.

those DVR+R also look different on the writable side of the disc. The inner ring is engraved with “000013-DVD+R4.7GB-4x” instead of “ZC2871-DVR-W47B” on the MCC discs.

Perhaps they try to push their 8x sales by lowering the quality of their 4x discs.

One of these Moser Baer disc was also badly messed at the edge of the writable side that i could not clean it.

Never had those problems before with verbatim recordables and i use them since 4x cd-r.

Sorry for updating you so late.
i informed Plextor and Verbatim.

Plextor replied immediately saying i should return the bad DVD to Verbatim.

Verbatim didn’t answer at first even though writing to MCC,Moser Baer and to several Verbatim HQ’s.

I then called the german Verbatim HQ and they told me they “had problems with media coming from India” and i should return it to them, so they can exchange them with working media.

So if you have problems with Verbatim DataLifePlus Media from India (having a MBI Media-ID) or the DVD’S are messed on the backside and are “Made in India” you should contact your local Verbatim HQ.

Thanks for informing us spectra!