Beware! LTD-166S firmware DS14 is buggy

Just a heads-up to everyone that Roxio Easy-CD Creator 6 has issues with the DS14 firmware. The Disk Copier utility detects audio CDs in the LTD-166S as DVD+RW and won’t let you make a copy due to “incompatible media.” Firmware DS0F also had the same issue. I had to flash back to DS0B to get it working again, but that version of the firmware doesn’t report the drive’s ability to read DVD+R/RW to Nero InfoTool.

this could just as easily be a roxio problem.

It can be a Roxio’s bug.

Indeed, try the drive with other software.

The drive works fine with other software. The question is why does Roxio work with the older DS0B firmware, but not with the newer DS14 firmware? Something changed that Roxio doesn’t like. I’m not asking for any help here, I’m just trying to help other people avoid problems if they discover that Roxio isn’t working and they don’t know why.

As said, people can easily avoid the problem by not using Roxio software and opt for better ones like CloneCD and Nero.

Look, this isn’t about what software is best. I’m just trying to get the information out there. I noticed on another forum that someone was having issues with the 166S and Roxio and didn’t know why. Just trying to be helpful is all.

Originally posted by Toddlizzle
Look, this isn’t about what software is best. I’m just trying to get the information out there. I noticed on another forum that someone was having issues with the 166S and Roxio and didn’t know why. Just trying to be helpful is all.

And everyone is trying to be helpfull telling to to get rid of that terrible software !

Thread crappers!

You blame it on the firmware and then yell at us for correcting you? :Z

LOL…yeah, something like that. Given the nature of the issue, I could just as easily have worded it “be careful, Roxio doesn’t work with this drive” and someone would have said “try another firmware.”

So yes, I think the elitism here tends to come out in the form of nitpicking. Point the finger at Roxio, or at Lite-On, whoever makes you feel better.

The fact remains that there is a compatibility issue with the newest firmware and Roxio 6, and I’m not trying to “blame” anyone for it. I just wanted to save some folks a little heartache someday when they come search this site to figure out why their brand new Lite-On is telling Roxio that their Audio-CD is a DVD+RW.

Roxio Easy-CD Cremator 6 is a crap. There’s a lot of bugs.

I’ve a LTD-166S with the DS14 firmware and works very well with several burn and audio progs.

I think is better you discard this Roxio Cremator !!!:slight_smile:

Originally posted by Stoner
As said, people can easily avoid the problem by not using Roxio software and opt for better ones like CloneCD and Nero.

word. :wink:

Originally posted by Toddlizzle
[B]So yes, I think the elitism here tends to come out in the form of nitpicking. Point the finger at Roxio, or at Lite-On, whoever makes you feel better.

The fact remains that there is a compatibility issue with the newest firmware and Roxio 6, and I’m not trying to “blame” anyone for it. I just wanted to save some folks a little heartache someday when they come search this site to figure out why their brand new Lite-On is telling Roxio that their Audio-CD is a DVD+RW. [/B]

1. The only person pointing finger at Lite-On is you, everybody’s pointing theirs at Roxio.

2. The only compatibility issue everyone sees except for you is Roxio makes utter crap that only Joe Six Packs (read you) buy and complain about it.

3. It’s obvious you started this thread w/ ruining Lite-On’s image intended. Read the title again if you forgot who you’re trying to blame.

4. And finally, people w/ half a brain would do a research before dropping dough before purchase and find that Roxio gets a big fugging F- from the CDFreaks crew.

5. If you want the problem solved, stop bitching about it here and start writing to your Roxio tech support.

Originally posted by Stoner
1) The only person pointing finger at Lite-On is you, everybody’s pointing theirs at Roxio.

I, like you, have no way of knowing if it is a Roxio issue or a Lite-On issue. I would suspect that it could be Roxio, since other apps work just fine with the DS14 firmware. Nevertheless, the DS0B firmware works correctly with Roxio, and DS14 does not. That was the intent of my post, since someone will inevitably come here to figure out why they can’t copy an Audio CD with Roxio 6 and their brand-new Lite-On DVD drive.

2) The only compatibility issue everyone sees except for you is Roxio makes utter crap that only Joe Six Packs (read you) buy and complain about it.

I don’t use Roxio. I installed it to test what I had read on another site. I use the same apps you do, Nero, EAC, CCD, etc.

3) It’s obvious you started this thread w/ ruining Lite-On’s image intended. Read the title again if you forgot who you’re trying to blame.

LOL, this one really makes me laugh. I obviously am trying to ruin Lite-On’s image? Come on, dude. Your name must seriously be self-descriptive. I’ve got a Toshiba 1502 in a desk drawer because it only rips DVDs at 2x…FYI, I love Lite-On, that’s why I own one. Is that what this is about, you guys don’t like the title of the thread? You want me to change it? I actually just tried to a minute ago, but it wouldn’t let me…it only modified my original post. Talk about nitpicking, you CD Freaks are the only ones with an axe to grind, trying to blame one side or the other. I personally don’t give a shϊt whose fault it is.

4) And finally, people w/ half a brain would do a research before dropping dough before purchase and find that Roxio gets a big fugging F- from the CDFreaks crew.

What makes you think I’ve ever purchased any Roxio software? They’ve got exactly as much of my money as you do.

5) If you want the problem solved, stop bitching about it here and start writing to your Roxio tech support.

As I said, I’m just passing along information. I don’t need anything solved, thank you.

Don’t take it personal Toddlizzle, I am sure by now you realize that everyone here has tried Roxio and hates it with good reason, It sucks! Thats why you are getting it from both ends when you make comments about the drive you bought and then bitch about it. The LiteOn is not a complaint forum about LiteOn and if you do a search of Roxio I am sure that 95% of the posts are people saying they can’t get it to work properly with any drive.

based on everyone’s replies, i seem to be the only one who doesn’t get the impression Toddlizzle was complaining about lite-on, heh. let’s recap on the first line of his original post:

Just a heads-up to everyone that Roxio Easy-CD Creator 6 has issues with the DS14 firmware.

he doesn’t say “lite-on is utter crap because DS14 doesn’t work properly with easy cd.” he simply states there’s a conflict between the two. in fact, if everyone was searching for todd’s opinion on the two products, the way the sentence was structured should imply problems with roxio, not lite-on.

as he also pointed out, other firmware versions work fine w/ his easy cd, so it’s not unreasonable to assume there’s a problem with the firmware that doesn’t work properly (not that todd said the firmware was to blame). we’ve all seen cases where an update in firmware causes problems with specific software, and we’ll typically blame the firmware, right?

so everyone just chill and ease up on todd. :cool:

I vote for AZImmortal for mediator! or moderator!? arbitrator? negotiator? conciliator?
:wink:

Okay enough guys. I’m very close to closing this thread because of all the nonsense that is being posted here. No matter what you think of Easy CD Cremator, LiteOn firmwares etc etc, the meaning of this forum is being a constructive place to share knowledge, discuss subjects and solve problems.

So threadstarter: be satisfied and thankful with / for the anwers (feel free to comment on them and ask more specific questions) and everybody else: if he wants to use EZCD, that’s his problem;), don’t flame him for it…

How many times do I have to say that I don’t use Roxio? Who here can’t read? I am not asking for any help at all, period. I only wanted to help anyone who does use Roxio that might not know why they can’t copy an audio CD with their shiny new LiteOn DVD.

Feel free to delete this thread, it’s been more trouble than it’s worth.