Between 14 and 34, male and single = virus writer

Source: Reuters

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Male. Obsessed with computers. Lacking a girlfriend. Aged 14 to 34. Capable of sowing chaos worldwide.

That is the profile of the average computer-virus writer, an anti-virus expert said on Tuesday.

About 1,000 viruses are created every month by virus writers increasingly intent on targeting new operating systems, said Jan Hruska, the chief executive of British-based Sophos Plc, the world’s fourth-largest anti-virus solutions provider. “So far, we’ve seen no indication of decreased interest in virus writing,” Hruska told Reuters in an interview.

(…)

In almost all cases, virus writers were computer-obsessed males between the ages of 14 to 34 years, he said.

“They have a chronic lack of girlfriends, are usually socially inadequate and are drawn compulsively to write self-replicating codes. It’s a form of digital graffiti to them,” Hruska said.

And…are you?

Sue me :bigsmile:

Cause I’ve got a girlfriend, I can write any virus I want, since they won’t suspect me :wink:

thank god i"m almost 35

or was it 14

I’ve girlfriend, so I’m not a target right? :wink:

:cool:

Stupid conclusion drawn from generalisation.

“virus writers were computer-obsessed”

No kidding! I would’ve thought that virus writers would be n00bs with no previous computing experience. Who would have thought that making a virus requires programming knowledge…

I guess you learn something new every day.

“They have a chronic lack of girlfriends, are usually socially inadequate and are drawn compulsively to write self-replicating codes. It’s a form of digital graffiti to them,” Hruska said

Or maybe the self-replicating code is just their way of reproducing, since their genes won’t…?:stuck_out_tongue: