Better DLs than Verbatims?

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-212D / DVR-2810. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Is there such a thing as DL blanks that are better than (or at least as good as) Verbatims? I have had trouble more recently with Verbatim DLs (+) :Z Could it be that they’ve started to cut corners? If Verbatim is kaputt, then what’s left for us?:sad:

Check the country of origin of your Verbatims.
Made In India Verbs have a poor reputation here - the ones you need are Made In Singapore.

Taiyo Yuden does make some -R DLs but they’re expensive and hard to find outside Japan.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2149396]Check the country of origin of your Verbatims.
Made In India Verbs have a poor reputation here - the ones you need are Made In Singapore.

Taiyo Yuden does make some -R DLs but they’re expensive and hard to find outside Japan.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I’ve never had Indian Verbatims, only Sinaporean. 'bout a year ago all batches I used were awesome, gave very good burns and very few duds. The most recent batches, even though rated 8x, gave me about 30% coasters (and I only burn @ 4x). What up with that? Cutting corners? I had one such very bad batch (all burns I made turned to coasters) which I managed to send back courtesy Amazon’s very reasonable return policy (I use Amazon.de).

The bottom line, I guess, is that it’s either Verbatim or bust, right? That’s, really, a sad situation.:sad: Imagine, after all this time in which DL blanks and DL-capable drives boasting 10x(?) or better DL burning speeds have been on the market, all we have is just [I]one [/I]company that can (could?) be trusted, and that one started to slip… What’s happening? I would’ve expected dozens or even hundreds of good blank DL choices after almost 10(?) years on the market, and yet there’s just one…

Can anyone explain to me what the mystery is? Not making money out of DL blanks? Tight margins?

There will be always someone who buys those crappy DLs because of “savings”… :frowning:

It could also mean that your burner is going south. I’m not saying that there can’t be poor quality MIS Verbatims, but I’ve never seen them or encountered them.

Can anyone explain to me what the mystery is? Not making money out of DL blanks? Tight margins?

Bluray More profit,

[QUOTE=negritude;2149604]It could also mean that your burner is going south. I’m not saying that there can’t be poor quality MIS Verbatims, but I’ve never seen them or encountered them.[/QUOTE]

I’d very much doubt it. I have 3 burners, and all behaved similarly vis-a-vis the batches in question. Hard to believe that they all started failing at the same time. And my star Pioneer burner is barely one year old: don’t think I burned more than, say, 30 DVDs on it.

Anyway, I got my answer: if Verbatim ain’t, then nothing is. At least I know what I should focus on. Thank God Amazon has a good returns policy (and free shipping:)).

another odd thing -

Can’t find ANY Verb. media in any of the brick n mortar shops near me, but I found 1 lonely pack of DL (+R - singapore) - the box of 3 contained each one a jewel case, each in that damnable impossible to remove plastic wrap. 2 went great, but the third kept getting rejected. Turns out it wasn’t actually blank!.. there isn’t any info on the disk, just a boot sector (titled in either portugeuese or spanish or something).

Wtf?

I would normally complain, but since I got the pack for 2.50 I’m not overmuch concerned, and besides, I know they don’t have any other stock to replace it with. The thing that troubles me is that it really didn’t appear to have been tampered with; is it possible it came to Staples that way? Is there any way for something like that to happen?

[QUOTE=bean55;2149635]Bluray More profit,[/QUOTE]

I think besides that is the fact that the DL’s are more than twice as much expense as the Singles. Its a better value if you calculate in terms of space alone, just more inconvenient that you have to burn twice as many, and the (dependable) burn speed is significantly slower. I myself and struggling to decide if the time or money is more important than having my entire season of “Boston Legal” fit on one disk!:smiley: