Beta7 + dvd+rw = disaster

vbimport

now I’m using the beta7 firmware i find all my used
dvd+rw are no longer any use, the writes to them at 4x
are a complete disaster.

Stick in a new dvd+rw and no problems at4x
Stick in a used dvd+rw and horrible burns (quick or full erase)

anyone have a clue why this is happening or how to overcome it?
(if I burn the used dvd+rw in my LIteon 811s, perfect results)

results writing previously used dvd+rw

full erase, write at 2x, perfect result
full erase, write at 4x, very poor result
quick erase, write at 2x, perfect result
quick erase, write at 4x very poor result

so beta7
increased r speeds & decreased rw speeds

Howdy!

Strange, but I can fully confirm Sarah’s observation. I made a CDSpeed test with the same DVD+RW disc. Burned @4x with beta7 => speed drops after about 2GB.

Burned the same image on the same disc @4x with beta6 => the graph is completely linear - no single slowdown.

@Herrie: Have you changed the writing strategy for DVD+RWs? I am using PrimeOn 4x discs with Ritek media code. Obviously, something has changed. Wesociety already noticed differences between the original stock firmware and beta6 - I did not see any difference because I cannot make any KProbe scans. But the difference between beta6 and beta7 is even visible in CDSpeed.

@Sarah: Does beta6 solve your problem? How does the original stock firmware perform?

When reporting problems with a media, it’s necessary to state what media you are using. Also, it’s helpful to define what “disaster” means.

This is a Ricoh W-11 DVD+RW burned at 4x

My problem was my nforce ide drivers…once i removed them my dvdrw burns improved(well all my dvd burns improved).

Thanks for your answers!

I have an old Gigabyte GA-7DX mainboard with Via chipset. Of course, I use the standard Microsoft IDE drivers.

I doubt that these problems with DVD+RW are a coincidence because other users report similar problems.

However, the results with beta7 are not a complete disaster. But as I said before - the difference is clearly visible in CDSpeed.

Now I burned the same Image again on the same DVD+RW with beta7. The result is perfect - just as with beta6.

Conclusion: Sometimes inconsistent results. No explanation for that.

Originally posted by easy-going-man
[B]Now I burned the same Image again on the same DVD+RW with beta7. The result is perfect - just as with beta6.

Conclusion: Sometimes inconsistent results. No explanation for that. [/B]

Same thing happening here, what machine are you using to erase the media, quck or full?

The same disc I show above, full-erased and re-burned at 4x, now is crap. Here’s a Kprobe scan:

I am using Nero 6316. I simply make a quick erase in Nero. To be exactly: I start the burning process with the full disc in the drive and Nero does a quick erase before burning.

Unfortunately, I do not have the possibility to make KProbe scans. Do you also encounter these inconsistencies with the original stock firmware?

Wesociety had similar KProbe results on a 4x Ricoh DVD+RW. He claimed that these bad results only occur with Herrie’s bitsetting firmware. At that time, he was using beta 5 or beta 6. In addition, he posted a KProbe scan of the same DVD+RW with the stock firmware AND the bitsetting beta. The result of the stock firmware was much better.

The inconsistencies in our results indicate, that the differences might not be caused by the firmware. Herrie already stated that he uses the same write strategy for DVD+RW in his beta firmwares.

Is any1 able to make a comparison in great detail between the stock firmware and the bitsetting firmware for DVD+RW? Several KProbe scans of the same media would help.

Here’s the same disc as above, full erased and re-burned in the 811S drive.

BTW, you should always do full-erase before burning RW media to get the best quality. But this is clearly an issue with the beta firmware that Herrie will have to look at.

Thanks for the input! Could you burn the same disc on the NEC 2500A with the stock firmware 1.06 and post a KProbe scan?

rdgrimes
mine was also ricohjpnw11…exactly the same burnt at 4x
I also did the same with a verbatim mkm a02 at 4x
both
perfect from new, garbage on 2nd burn, fine on liteon burn

here is a “garbage” burn…could it be something to do with bit setting…look at the read speed from 4 gig - 4.5 gig

so the conclusion is to do a full erase on my liteon dvd drive before the burn to a DVD+RW? or is it just to use my liteon drive for DVD+RW until another firmware comes out. I really like beta 7 for its 6x overspeed on my 4x DVD-R disks.

Jamos
beta 7 burns fine to used dvd+rw at 2x, even with quick erase

I’d say you should avoid using any RW media on the beta firmware untill this is worked out, but it appears to be a 4x issue only.

Has anyone tried setting book-type to see how that affects the quality?

OK, the same disc as posted above, this time full-erased in the 2500 and burned in the 2500. I note the high error rates in the lead-out, which may be significant.

This is not an issue with new vs used RW discs, it’s more random than that.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
[B]OK, the same disc as posted above, this time full-erased in the 2500 and burned in the 2500. I note the high error rates in the lead-out, which may be significant.

This is not an issue with new vs used RW discs, it’s more random than that. [/B]

pretty damn good burn other than the leadout though.:wink:

can you retry it with stock fw…id like to see if its a fw issue or not.

OK, apparently this is a known issue, and it is because the FW is based on the HP drive’s FW. This seems to be a issue with all the HP firmwares.

We may have a fix in the works, stay tuned.

This problem is odd, since the writing strategies are 1:1 copied from 1.06 stock firmware which doesn’t have these probs. I just send out a test version based on HP’s 1.24 f/w to see if it makes any difference!

Results will follow shortly!